Silicon Valley is stupid

Eh, if I’ve read 4 volumes of a comic I’m perfectly comfortable pre-ordering the 5th. Not a car though lol

I posted this less than a week ago in ToYD:

Well, so much for that promise.

https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2019/04/adversarial_mac.html

Stickers on the road causes Tesla to do, pretty much whatever you want.

Adversarial ML is scary.

download

3 Likes

Copying from the Autonomous cars thread, where I copied from my comment on BoingBoing about it:

Let’s be real, this is the level-2 driver assist system - basically adaptive cruise control and lanekeeping assist with lofty aspirations - that’s known for swerving into solid objects, running into immobile objects, driving under semis killing their drivers, and who industry insiders basically say will never safely rise beyond level two at best, and arguably isn’t safe now, is also unsafe because the system that’s already trivially confused by completely normal occurrences on the road is also easily fooled by putting fake markers on the road?

Well blow me down with a feather. I literally cannot express enough surprise for this completely unanticipated conclusion.

I will add through - a lot of the Tesla fanboys are completely(and I suspect, intentionally) are misreading the paper, and claiming that it’s a beat up because they “could only do this once they had root control, so that they could change the steering”, whereas the paper explicitly lays out that they were able to get the same effect by simply taking advantage of the inbuilt lanekeeping by putting down stickers or paint-marks.

3 Likes

It sorta goes a bit beyond that. In addition to it being a bad system. It’s also a system designed assuming no malicious actors. Adding malintent is like, an entire expansion in scope. It may just have to be considered a different problem all together.

Arguably the current system can’t deal with malintent in principal. They use machine learning to make a thing that drives good, bad peeps use the same machine learning to fool the first machine learning. Repeat.

I would say the bigger fault is not just not assuming malicious actors, but not assuming just garden variety fuckken stupid shit. Doesn’t even have to be malicious - For example, there’s a huge paint smear on the road in my street from where a can fell off a line-marking truck a couple years back, and there’s a line of dots down the street from people running over the streak of wet paint, and tracking it down the road with their tyres. Judging by the paper provided, and how far into the lane it is, it would easily be enough to cause a Tesla to “correct” itself in the lane, right into a parked car.

1 Like
1 Like

Another update on Facebook and their white nationalist/terrorist ban: It’s a bribe.

1 Like

Jack Dorsey is effectively starving himself.

He is a known nut job.

3 Likes

Health issues aside, why would you ever do this to yourself? Eating is awesome

Weird bullshit white people purity bullshit.

When you’re in “do all the things” mode then sometimes the mere thought of slowing down to eat and knowing it will disrupt your entire evening is very painful.

I like eating but when I have work to do and I’m in the zone, I would much rather be eating take out in the workshop or at my desk, not sitting down for a proper meal and interacting with other humans.

there’s a big difference between eating take-out more often and not eating

1 Like

Yeah but I can almost understand someone saying “fuck breakfasts” and then after a while deciding “and lunch is bullshit too”

So my dad has gone in for this thing hard. Intermittent fasting. This isn’t a situation where he decided he didn’t want breakfast and then went fuck lunch too. This is a drank the kool-aid situation.

He will talk to anyone who’ll listen about how good it makes him feel and how it’s how ancient humans ate and how it’s ‘healthier’ on and on he’ll go.

For my part I told him to speak to his doctor about it. He did and told me she said it was cool. However I suspect that’s not the case as we have the same doctor (I actually recommended her to him) and at my last yearly she asked me about how I ate and “you’re not doing anything weird with not eating right?” was what she asked me.

Funnily enough technically this is a HIPAA violation as she discussed another patient with me but nevertheless I think the medical science on this is… undecided at best.

It’s likely even dumber than this.

There’s a long history of religious or pseudo-religious (which I count New Age as, as well) bullshit around the idea of , in some manner, either 1) Avoiding eating, 2) Eating only bland food, or 3) Some combination of the above as a way of fortifying the mind/body/spirit/whatever. I’d argue that Keto, minimalism, and Soylent are all modern interations on this trend.

New Reveal report: Tesla pressured doctors in their employ to block worker’s comp requests to save money.

While not in the report, and I can’t currently confirm it, the word going around some slightly more confidential sorts of places is that Tesla specifically hired Dr. Muhannad Hafi because he was compromised, due to having had public accusations of sexual assault against him, which would provide them greater leverage on him.