Random Ideas

The latest common crawl is… 270TB. For November 2020. Hoo boy.

Maybe now is the time to delete those Facebook accounts that you aren’t used for anything.

Honestly there are only 1.5 reasons I haven’t.

One: Facebook Marketplace is actually useful, doesn’t suck, is the only good thing they ever made, and it kind of killed Craiglist and the rest of the competition.

One point five: There is a GeekNights Facebook page/group/whatever. I have tested, and there are people who actively follow it.

An internet forum that bans the discussion of politics (like so many others) but whenever anyone posts anything the mod team explains why the content of the post is political and locks the thread.

1 Like

Absolutely not.

1. Everything is political. This hypothetical community would have everything banned.
  2. Even if you stuck to only banning discussion of blatantly political things, like government and such, that does not make your community a safe space, quite the opposite.

There were some long Twitter threads written by very smart people explaining point number 2, but of course, it’s ridiculously difficult to find them via search. For now, just consider this really simple and (hopefully) obvious example.

If you have a no politics rule in your community, are you going to ban someone who says black lives matter? If you don’t, then you don’t really have a no politics rule. If you do, then your community can go fuck itself.

That’s the joke.

It wouldn’t be a community. More like an interactive resource to show how communities with “no politics” policies are fundamentally flawed.

2 Likes

What if we made a game, but it was “nothing”. Just a blank slate.

But we put the game on Steam and it has Steam Workshop support. Now anyone can make a mod for the nothing game. Effectively anyone can develop and release even the tiniest part of a game, or a full game, and release it on the workshop. Then a player can choose any number of mods to enable from 0 to all of them, effectively creating a game just by choosing which mods to install and enable.

1 Like

You invented a programming language?

1 Like

Even less than that.

Less user friendly ROBLOX

What if I started a MUD. Nothing new or different about it, other than it would be a MUD that launched in the year 2021. Would anyone play it?

2 Likes

You’d want to be on it sharpish, then, Aelisus: Asunder should be coming out later this year. Don’t know of any others off the top of my head, but a lot of MUDs come and go every year, due to how low the cost of entry is.

But, if it’s any good, and if you put it out on the usual places MUD fans hang out, chances are you would get some players, though. Surprising number of people still go hard on them, big and small.

3 Likes

I’ve always wanted to get into a MUD, just never have. I’d be tempted to try it out!

TIL! I haven’t MUD-ed since 1999, so I have basically no idea what’s happened in that scene since then.

1 Like

The MUD market is still out there, I haven’t gotten into it in the last 5 years or so.

I spent a huge amount of time playing them back in the early 90s through to the early 2000s so I can’t help but checking them every once in a while.

The one thing that gets me is that there hasn’t been much in the QoL/UX advancement of MUDs. I know it’s all still essentially telnet but I feel that you could do the “same” with a custom client and make the experience really rich.

Yeah, I was thinking to allow various connection methods for accessibility. Especially a mobile-friendly web client. And while it would at its core be a place for role playing and PvE grinding on quests/mobs/loot, I would streamline the mechanics significantly.

Sounds fun but I also feel like part of the MUD experience if having time to burn and no money which is why I did them in middleschool/highschool but after getting to college those conditions were never true again.

Yeah, same lesson here, except that didn’t actually have the time to burn in high school. It was a good lesson and kept me away from mmorpgs.

1 Like

Same. If I hadn’t MUDed I would have WoWed.

1 Like

I made the mistake in college of EVE Online which was fun, and I kept things together, but really didn’t have the time then, definitely don’t now.