Professional Wrestling

Just listened to Talk is Jericho with Jon Moxley, formerly Dean Ambrose. Holy hell. He absolutely rakes Vince over the coals, then stomps him in the dust. Of course it is biased, but it basically leaves no good hair on the creative process within WWE and confirms almost everything people have assumed about Vince being out of touch, yet micromanaging everything.

1 Like

https://youtu.be/hVU0MW-IGrM

https://youtu.be/EHbQe7QJjNQ

Man I thought Ric Flair was old in like 1999 whenever Slamboree was in St. Louis

I’m pretty sure Ric Flair was born old

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q65D1Y0m8Y

1 Like

The Best of the Super Juniors 26 Final show is in the books. Had some decent undercard tags, and three fantastic singles matches with Jay White vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi, Juice Robinson defending the IWGP United States Championship against a debuting Jon Moxley, and the BOSJ Final with Shingo Takagi vs. Will Ospreay, fantastic stuff.

After New Year’s Dash I said I was a bit worried about NJPW. Well, put that in a bin. This BOSJ tournament was absolutely great, the final was amazing and they really put on a show for booking Ryogoku for that event, Dominion is this weekend, and the G1 is a bit over a month away.

The best (?) AEW review I have ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib-LlwYLTzg

1 Like

Holy shit dominion was great. Although I understand why some Japanese fans are mad at the ending. Still, I’m so hyped for the G1 this year it’s unreal.

Dominion was a very good show, and KENTA, Shingo and Moxley all declaring for the G1 is fantastic. However, the main event finish left a bit of a sour note. I also hope that Kota Ibushi is okay. That bump he took was had me wincing. He finished the match, but so did Hiromu last year :X

Please, please, please, be okay.

G1 Climax Blocks have been announced, and the field is stacked to the goddamn rafters.

A Block

• Kazuchika Okada
  • Zack Sabre Jr.
  • Hiroshi Tanahashi
  • Kota Ibushi
  • EVIL
  • SANADA
  • Bad Luck Fale
  • Lance Archer
  • Will Ospreay
  • KENTA

B Block

• Tetsuya Naito
  • Tomohiro Ishii
  • Juice Robinson
  • Toru Yano
  • Hirooki Goto
  • Jay White
  • Jeff Cobb
  • Shingo Takagi
  • Taichi
  • Jon Moxley

Surprisingly no Minoru Suzuki, whose back and knees are supposedly in terrible shape and may retire in the near future. Also surprisingly few Bullet Club members with only two being in the field, but considering that these days BC doesn’t have that many heavyweight members anymore, that’s basically all we get. Also, no big surprise announcements beyond what we saw at Dominion (though we got plenty there). I guess Ospreay kind of counts and again does not considering his announcement after winning the title and stance he’s held for almost a year now that he wants to wrestle heavyweights.

Anyway, so many amazing matchups this year. Inject them straight into my eyeballs.

1 Like

G1 is going to be the dog’s bollocks. Although I’m really sad I might never get to see my favorite murder grandpa wrestle though he does deserve retirement, Suzuki has been going at it since the mountains were young.

I feel the same about our Violent King Suzuki. But at the same time looking at some of the crazy shit he pulled and realizing he is 50 made me real nervous something horrible was gonna happen at any second. It would be a nice change of pace for him to get out while he can still move around.

Just finished watching AEW’s Fyter Fest which ran alongside the fighting game festival CEO in Daytona Beach. The show was very good and had one great high-skill bout with Omega and the Bucks taking on the Lucha Bros and Laredo Kid. However, largely this was kind of a hardcore show. I guess it was advertised as such to a degree, but still kind of unexpected. Even weirder, Jimmy Havoc had one of the more tame matches on the card.

The first hardcore bout of the night was on the pre-show, with Michael Nakazawa against CEO administrator Alex Jebailey, which was largely comedic as it should with a comedy wrestler and a non-wrestler in it, with the hardcore stuff largely to excuse the lack of technical proficiency.

Then in the middle we had Cody vs. Darby Allin. I was before this match unfamiliar with Allin, but that kid is a nut and a half. That drop onto the apron was crazy. However, the toughest spot to watch actually came after the match had concluded. Shawn Spears (the former Tye Dillinger) arrived at the ring, and clocked Cody in the head with a chair, unprotected. Yeah, that’s not a good look for the promotion.

Finally, the main event had Jon Moxley and Joey Janela face off in an unsanctioned match for the crown of “King of Hardcore Wrestling” and that match had everything. Tables, chairs, ladders, chairs wrapped in barbed wire, barb-wire boards, and thumb tacks. The tacks kind of surprised me how they were used, as usually when a wrestler introduces something, they’re bound to take it. This held true with both barb-wire boards. However, Moxley largely escaped the thumb tacks (at least as much as you can) despite scattering two backs of them in the ring. But then he got beaten up by Kenny after the match as revenge for the events at the end of Double or Nothing, which I guess makes up for it a bit.

The show was very good, but I still think that AEW is still looking a bit to set itself apart. I just hope it’s not hardcore to do that. I like hardcore wrestling in fits and spurts, but I don’t think it’s really the tool for them, and CZW is still around so it is also not really necessary, and three matches in one night is a bit much.

I couldn’t handle some of the spots in fyterfest, specially in the Moxley match, but damn did he not look like he was having the time of his life in between crazy bumps.

According to the post game press conference this appears to be a one off event specifically for this crowd. E.G. not the normal state of things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoLHJ2cK0dU&t=0s

I wrote a beginner’s guide to the G1 and it actually got gold and pinned in r/squaredcircle on reddit. Sweet. Check it out if you like.

1 Like

I’m bored at work and reading the Wikipedia article on the Monday Night Wars. Apparently I am not really that well versed in wrestling lore, considering that I never realized that the Fingerpoke of Doom and the infamous incident of Tony Schiavone spoiling Mankind’s title win and thousands of people switching channel because of it happened the same night.

https://twitter.com/MrLARIATO/status/1151827277598076928

G1 Climax has been absolutely awesome so far.

1 Like

I am a bit behind on the news but heard AEW is going to be in Boston and Philly mid October, any FRC people thinking of a group buy?

1 Like

I’m down for Boston, sounds like a blast.