Phone Numbers are Dead

There’s documents detailing what the protocol is for these things. That and my employment contract specifies work outside of the normal 40 hours for the situations detailed in the documents.

I guess my criticism is the same as if Rym had said: Shouting is a gross breach of modern etiquette. Most of the time it is, but there’s times when shouting is perfectly appropriate. Crowds at concerts come to mind, as do being shocked or scared.

I call people on long car rides, but obviously you wouldn’t know cause I don’t call you because it has to be scheduled hahah :-p

They should, like all good modern people, text/email first. Never call anyone out of the blue without prior contact via an asynchronous means unless it’s an emergency. Ever.

Goofus calls his friends randomly on the phone.
Gallant texts his friends to see if they’re free, then calls them.

Goofus calls to ask if you have time to talk.
Gallant texts to ask if you have time to talk, then calls if the answer is yes.

2 Likes

While we’re on the subject, what’s the status of your ongoing lawsuit against Highlights Magazine for stealing the the Goofus and Gallant dynamic from you and Scott on Geeknights?

1 Like

I appreciate, random calls from friends, regardless of whether they have mentioned they would call or not. If I’m busy, I just don’t pick up, if its’ a emergency, leave a message.

Also like your friends should be listed in your phone so shouldn’t come up as random other numbers.

I basically always pick up my phone, unless I’m asleep. But then again, as we’ve discussed, it’s a bit different here, it’s very rarely robocalls.

Once a friend who I was meeting at my house called me to tell me he’d arrived there before me to find the front door ajar.

These kinds of things are what non prearranged calls are for. To the point that if I get one and it’s not something like this. Just seeing the phone ringing and it being someone I recognize is enough to get my heart racing. If they’re calling me, it’s important and probably dire.

1 Like

Same if it’s someone on my contacts list I will answer. If it’s not on my contacts I don’t answer. Also my family all know I’m not one for talking on the phone.

My mom used to call me multiple times a day, and expected an answer immediately. This even applied at work, which was super frustrating because my job frequently has my hands involved in biohazardous work, and answering the phone is no small task there.

This is not an acceptable behavior, obviously, because it reflects someone who believes their time is more valuable than my own.

I spent 4 solid years breaking her of this habit (including ignoring calls and threatening to cut off contact), but she now emails or texts me, and is more comfortable with asynchronous communication.

That is egregious.

If that was the case. I may have stronger opinions. As it stands. I’m basically ok with my parents calling me, because if I don’t pick up (about 50% of the time I don’t) a text follows, with what they wanted to say.

It works out, whether I’m interested in hearing a human voice is left to my discretion.

I call my mom a lot and she calls me, however, she knows not to call me during normal working hours. Cause that’s dumb.

Sure. My mom is an extreme example, but also a solid example of why obtaining consent in communication forms is paramount. A phone call in this day and age is very one-sided - “I want to talk to you and you have to answer,” and the only option you have is to ignore it or engage. Other modes of communication allow us to assess without committing to engagement, and that’s vital for establishing consent-based conversation.

1 Like

Not only does my dad not text before calling, when working together he’ll say “hey find out from X if they know the thing” expecting me to pull out the phone and make contact. In addition to that, when I start texting to see if that person has the answers or if we need to call if they are around and cool to talk, he’ll say “I meant call them”. And each time I can’t understand why, how, that could be a real expectation.

My phone is always muted. I don’t really get calls. I record all my calls I do get, which has ended up being useful. I don’t really text either in like the sms form. I do have a couple constant group chats and group discords. I guess I’m just generally pretty anti-social.

Does this all line up with automation and everything moving to kiosks, ordering with your phone, having things delivered, etc? I am pro non-interaction, but on the other hand I can see something lost there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sduj2aRTdSw

2 Likes

Having never got a spam call in my life, I see it very much as a telecom problem, not a phone problem.

Its decidedly the way telecom routing is setup in the US and the laws around it. You can basically do the phone equivalent of packet spoofing because the telcom system is designed to trust whatever caller ID is given unless the telcom you use has an additional filter layer on it. This was originally intended so that large companies can have all their numbers go out looking like the main service number, but now we are far beyond that. There’s a lot of talk about and movement toward using the certificate authority method for caller verification that we use for websites for phones in the US system and the FCC is moving toward allowing Telcoms to have banned numbers lists without having users have to opt-in.