Network Attached Storage

I have been shopping for a home NAS that will handle backups from multiple PCs and Plex server for media storage. So far I think I have found a winner:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015VNLGF8/?coliid=I2P3P3LG99221Z&colid=1SVIKQI1W62BA&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I can install some memory sticks to get it to 16 GB of memory and get 4 hard drives in a RAID 5 situation. Is there something obvious that I am missing from this that would cause a red flag?

I first had a Netgear, it was ok, but meh. I now have a Synology which is god-tier. QNAP might also be good, I donā€™t know. I never tried one. But I canā€™t imagine anything possibly being better than the Synology. The developers are truly nerds who know what nerds what. Canā€™t recommend it highly enough.

I was also looking into Synology and basically down to both of them for my choice. I was trying to find something in my budget with 4 bays and the only real difference between the two is that this QNAP has better specs than Synology and cheaper then one of the same level. The only QNAP issue I am noticing is that the documentation is a bit lacking for them, hence me asking if anyone has any other advice. The plan is to get all of the pieces next month and looking for good options.

Heads up, thereā€™s a sale on the 453Be bringing it to a similar price:

It appears I am on the wait list for this. Now we wait.

FWIW the first QNAP duo I bought didnā€™t work, like at all. So I had to have the manufacturer replace it.

Itā€™s definitely not user friendly. If I had to do over again, I would have gone with a 3-bay and another manufacturer. That being said, when it works it does what itā€™s supposed to do, but there are lot of updates.

The only reason I went Synology over QNAP was that I had money and Synology tech is just easier to use / more reliable. 2009 Rym would 100% have gotten the QNAP.

That is good to know, I think both options are 1A and 1B in this realm, maybe next big sale is when I will pounce on something.

Best I can tell, QNAPs have bad UX and are annoying to set up. Youā€™ll have to fiddle with more settings to make sharing and other things work the way you expect. Otherwise, itā€™ll work fine.

Just bought the QNAP 451+ and 4x 8TB WD NAS drives. The hard drives are on back order from two different sellers so I donā€™t think Iā€™ll have them any time soon, unfortunately.

Let us know how it is relative to the Synology.

Itā€™s my first NAS so I canā€™t really compare it to anything, but Iā€™ll answer any questions.

Update: my case has a broken piece, potentially lost a hard drive -_-. Working to get it up and running and almost there.

What did you end up buying?

Made my own did not see this question until now and outside of nextcloud fizzling until dust it has been working great.

Meanwhile wanted to share this.

https://youtu.be/lsFDp-W1Ks0