Media Analysis and Criticism

Willem Dafoe’s epic rant and Pattinson’s retort has perfect comedic timing.

1 Like

Yep, its such a great lampshade from the writer & director to the audience saying: yes we know, lets enjoy together.

Honestly there needs to be more Dafoe Curse gif memes.

Wow, Jeopardy Ken. I agree with this.

Subtweet for pretty much all internet criticism: no, the movie wasn’t boring. You were bored. That’s different.

Like, Joanna Hogg (or whoever) knows that The Souvenir (or whatever) is slowly paced and maybe not constructed with expected plot beats in mind. You’re not skewering a movie by calling it boring. You’re just reviewing yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6iqAip-ZNo

3 Likes

pretty hype for a new lindsay ellis vid.

Sorry Jeopardy nerd, but The Souvenir is boring, and I like me some slow-ass movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZR9yFa7Bx8

Remember when Super Eyepatch Wolf made a video on Simpsons memes? (I’ve quoted the above post to save you the scrolling time.) He has now done the same for Sonic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR9F2Z7zSbA

2 Likes

Heh, so see that ‘New Edit’ right there at the end of the title? That’s because this is the second upload of this video. The first one had a much longer and now removed chunk in the middle. He’s replaced it with a summary of it just spoken directly to the camera. Likely because that chunk got it demonetized.

I’d talk more about the content of the chunk as someone who’s seen it, but I don’t really wanna post cringe and the summary works fine as a stand-in. Though I’m sad we missed Jake’s second meeting.

Parasite; Snowpiercer but up and down. It probably goes without saying but spolers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBmpQ568Kmg

I discovered a new YouTuber for my tastes, though it is probably an old had since he has 500k subscribers and some of his videos have millions of views. Still, I find his analysis of video games very interesting and engaging. Does it also have something to do with him occasionally using music from Black Lagoon in his videos? Yes.

I give you, Raycevick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns19PvYKxKk

1 Like

If you like Raycevick, do you know about Noah Caldwell-Gervais? A little more introspective and philosophical in feel, but hits a lot of the same groove. Though, he does tend towards less frequent(once a month, if that) but much longer(I think his shortest video clocks in at 35-45 minutes, and sometimes they’ll go over two hours.)

Edit - Also at about nine minutes into that video, his bed music is 100% an unauthorized use of the Black Lagoon ending theme. Good taste.

2 Likes

I do like Raycevick videos especially his “Years Later” series which has covered some classics.

If you want a little less style and a bit more “absolute over the top” breakdown type analysis, there is this guy Joseph Anderson who seems to pop up in the same sector of algorithmville as Rayce. For example hIs recent part 1 of 3 crit of the Witcher series is over 4-hours long, but I watched the whole thing, having never played a single Witcher game. And most of his vids surpass the 1-hour mark.

https://youtu.be/NtrAx-rVgco

I guess in a way it’s almost a “readers digest” alternative to actually playing the game, but it’s also interesting for games that have been played so, in general I find them good watches; even if they tend to be more background videos that fill the podcast-with-visuals role despite being more essay format.

There’s a few others I follow, and I, too, assume that most people have just come across them through the algorithm by now. I think some finds actually came from the TotD thread. But I probably could post a few that I thought were notable or compelling.

1 Like

Oh, I’ve been a subscriber to Noah for years. However, unfortunately he and I are kind of out of sync in what games we play. Mostly because I haven’t been playing a lot of games in recent years, but he covers games that I might want to play at some point and since his videos are very deep about the emotional resonance of a game I actually haven’t been watching a lot of his videos over the last couple years, kind of saving them for later. I should get back to watch his content though since I probably will never get around playing some of these games anyway.

P.S.: I also only got tipped off with the ending theme, but he uses a bunch of other songs from Black Lagoon throughout the video, though it is only faint in the background (the mix between BGM and his voice does strongly emphasize on his voice). Only noticed it after reading the video description on YouTube and went back to check.

@SWATrous: I also stumbled over Joseph Anderson, mostly due to his review of Prey after myself having completed that game recently. Thought that review was pretty good and pointed out some things that I myself didn’t quite catch. Then I watched his review of Breath of the Wild and really didn’t like his takes, nor how they were presented. They were basically that the game was great for exploration and movement throughout the impressively vast world, but didn’t follow the established Zelda formula of dungeon crawling and that was missing from it. To me that seemed like he completely missed the point of the game entirely, that it was designed to not follow the standard Zelda formula, putting emphasis on other things.

Maybe I’m too harsh here, but he did drag this review over 2 hours that felt very repetitive, and just couldn’t square this vast contrast between these two reviews, one where he seemed to truly understand the game and one where he completely missed the forest for the trees. I may have to check out some of his other videos but at this point I am not sure what to make of his stuff.

1 Like

I don’t think you’re off base with Joseph Anderson. I find his reviews akin to peeling, coring, and deseeding and apple; then saying apples are not good fruit because the skin is unpalatable by itself.

1 Like

Oh damn, you’re right! I didn’t notice the others, partially because I was paying more attention to what he was saying, and everything muddied it out a bit, but also just couldn’t miss that ending theme, because, well, you get a little more familiar with it having heard at minimum the first 5-10 seconds of it, what, 26, 29 times? Sticks in the mind, through sheer repetition if nothing else.

Chiming in,

Noah: Honestly the best long-form games criticism videos, full stop.

Joseph: Some good stuff but it really feels like he needs to edit his scripts more as he circles a lot of points repeatedly. I don’t mind the extended format, but he needs a text editor/better structuring.

Raycevick: Solid videos that lean on the POV experience angle heavily but his delivery/writing is good enough that its always enjoyable even if thats a limited perspective.

Heh, talked about a Breath of the Wild review earlier in this thread, just for Mikey Neumann to release his own take on Breath of the Wild only a couple of hours ago. Mikey of course has a bit of a stream of consciousness style to his things and he normally talks about movies, but as a 16-year game industry vet he of course brings a ton of credit to the gaming space. His relentless optimism is very welcome, particularly in contrast to the frankly jaded review of the same game I mentioned above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suiVi4kjvbI

1 Like

I’ve been going through this thread again looking for videos the community posted that I missed for one reason or another. I only watched Koe No Katachi a couple of months after your post and so didn’t watch this video due to your spoiler warning. I did just now. Holy crap. I loved that movie because of the instictual emotion it portrays, watched it a couple of more times since and read the manga, but this video gave me whole new insights on details and nuances that I completely missed. I understood that the film was a triumph of character animation and sound design, because that is hard to miss, but this video let me understand why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EXVrzOACv4

1 Like