Linux on the Desktop

and welcome to our talk on W-S-L

They should pronounce it “whistle”.

whistle

Amateur

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ0ojjOLJg4

I’m unaccustomed to this not being accompanied by vertical arrows I’m trying to hit with my feet.

Also was gonna trade and start linking all the whistle songs I’ve known over the years. Then I remembered most of them are trash…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIwa9sPFT5I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJUhlRoBL8M

Anyone know of a good starting course to learn the basics? I see a ton of things online and like to start learning in the right direction.

I’ve found that these two resources are helpful. The first is a free book that covers the Linux Command Line, and the second is the reference manual for Debian (which is what Ubuntu is based on).

The Arch Linux Wiki and Google in general are also really useful for figuring out how to do something specific.

What are you actually trying to do? Do you have a goal in mind? Self-edification? Résumé-building?

A little bit both actually. I am at the point where I would like to build a resume with Linux skills but like the look before you leap approach. I guess my goal is this:

• Unraid server setup and docker containers. One of which being a windows box to have just in case I need windows for something
  • Learn the lay of Linux on the desktop and convert my computer to a Linux box
  • Once I understand the basics figure out which way to go and learn more advance things for either personal home use or potential job down the line

Having this set as my new year goal and would like a good way to start. Obviously its making a VM with Linux as IO first start and would like a good resource that explains the basics as a starting off point.

Pretty good one! IRL XKCD 1172.

2 Likes

Well, it looks like I need to investigate this whether I want to or not. I can’t update the browsers any more on my 2009 mac book pro, so Linux here we go. Performance is still fine for my needs and I’d rather not spend a grand on a new computer - although Framework is tempting. I like how repairable my ancient computer is, I’ve done RAM, SSD, and battery a few times.

Any suggestions on which version of Linux? I don’t need much beyond a browser, Calibre, VLC and some itunes replacement. And I’d like to hassle with with drivers as little as possible :-0

Any experience with Elementary OS?

You should be able to do test boots of LiveCD (do they still call them that?) images, so you can give them all a spin before you commit to an install. I’d add Ubuntu to your list.

I used Debian on an 09 MBP, but I didn’t install a graphical display. I remember going to some lengths to install the correct wifi driver/firmware, otherwise upload speed was terrible.

When I did briefly flirt with a graphic install, good trackpad support was hard to find. Hopefully things have improved. As you test the distros, I recommend focusing on trackpad and wifi upload/download speeds.

So far I’ve tried Linux mint from a flash drive. Trackpad worked OK, but Wi-Fi didn’t show up.

Just wanted to ask if there a go-to place to find a starting guide for getting Linux on the desktop. yes, I know about live CDs, the terminal, and random things. I am looking for more of the “once you install X on the computer, add these to make the experience better” type of thing.

Don’t.

Just leave everything as-is. Use the computer to accomplish the tasks you set out to do.
If you can’t accomplish the task you set out to do, look up a solution as to how to accomplish it.
If you can accomplish your tasks, but you encounter a specific pain point that is making it a bad experience, look up a solution for that specific issue and how to make it easier.

2 Likes