Linux on the Desktop

It’s optional. You don’t get it unless you specifically install it.

Yeah but its available for you. I prefer using this to move around the OS rather than the default command just because of my familiarity with it and immediate access to Vim if I require it.

However some of my friends still at University are programming OpenGL stuff using the subsystem which is pretty neat.

https://insights.ubuntu.com/2017/04/05/growing-ubuntu-for-cloud-and-iot-rather-than-phone-and-convergence/

We will shift our default Ubuntu desktop back to GNOME for Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

So long and thanks for all the Mints!

1 Like

i3 or bust.

https://i3wm.org/

Never even heard of it before. 8 years old, last commit 6 days ago. Not bad.

Yeah, I’m not sure what the history behind it is. There was ion, ion2, ion3. Then there was some arguments and someone made “notion” (not ion). Not sure who made i3, but it’s the best of the breed IMHO.

Unity being a big goddamn mess plus that they were about to start showing ads was when I dropped Ubuntu and went back to Debian.

Whatever happened to Valve’s Steam Machine idea? I’d assume docker/containers could provide a stable game/application environment, but the devil’s in the details. E.g., last I heard suspend/resume sucks under Linux which was a problem.

My use cases are:

1. At work. Not running games, so :thumbsup:.
  2. At home. Linux is a headless box full of disks, so :thumbsup:.
  1. In a Virtual Box VM for development purposes at work/home.
  2. On a server.
  3. On an embedded device where you don’t even realize it’s running Linux.
  4. Nowhere else.
1 Like

I still use it as my primary OS… It works fine for me.

Yeah I’ve had issues with Linux going to sleep/hibernation and the wifi not working anymore until reboot.

As I’ve said before, I just want Steamboxes to take off so we see more development in games for linux. Right now, I’d just build/buy a Windows HTPC and use steam in big picture mode. Really even if SteamOS was that big I’d still rather just have it be a Linux box with Steam in big picture mode because it’s a computer attached to your tv, you can do so much more with it than games.

I personally love the Gnome 3 desktop with an Arch build (using Wayland), the issues with Ubuntu are Ubuntu not Gnome.

I haven’t made the jump to Wayland yet but I’m also running Arch with Gnome 3, most stable computer I’ve ever had.

1 Like

HUGE improvements for Windows Subsystem for Linux. WSL has not only killed desktop Linux, but also killed most uses of desktop virtual machines.

1 Like

Is that it? I mean it’s nice, buy what’s the use case? I symlinked a directory from my WSL $HOME to c:\users\starfox\wsl on day one and haven’t had any problems.

You’re lucky you haven’t had any problems. The way WSL works, those files could get messed up very easily, especially with regards to permissions and such. Doing it the new way will be completely safe.

Also, they buried the lede. They are adding a feature where you can pack up your WSL distro and copy it and transfer it around. So you can setup a dev environment and just give it to all your devs. No docker or other nonsense necessary

Holy crap, they ported 9P to WSL?!

As an OS geek, my ears always perk up when I notice Plan 9 technologies showing up in the oddest of places. 9P in particular is very interesting, given that it can allow for so many more possibilities than simply allowing access to WSL files from Windows processes.

Yeah, much better than using NFS or some garbage.

Are there any updates on the slow read/write?
It was making working on node.js projects with bigger node_modules folders pretty unpleasant, so I just went back to git bash

Found the problem.

Actually, AFAIK the file system read/write is still kind of slow. I was using SQLite and it was slow enough to cause a problem. Then I setup an actual Postgres server in WSL, and that was plenty fast. Significantly slower than a real server if I run benchmarks or something, but still so fast on this boring old work laptop that I can’t tell that it’s slow.

true, but downloading videos with youtube-dl, also was kinda an order of magnitude slower than on my 7 year old macbook.
So I just gave up on wsl (turning of parts of Windows Defender helps, but that’s not really a working solution)
But I get that there are cases where it’s really useful/convenient