Judge Anime by its Cover - Spring 2018

PPSSPP is the best right now (or you can just hack a physical PSP trivially, your choice).

The roms vary, from a few megs to about a gig and a half. I know the private tracker I’m on has a master torrent, so I’m sure they exist on the public 'nets.

This season I’m definitely 100% behind Boku no Hero and Shokugeki no Souma. I know, typical shounen stuff, but it’s well done.

Also I suspect Black Clover still sucks, but the last few chapters in the manga point at a way better potential story. Will it pull it off? No idea. But it’s like they just hit the secret of space.

Darling in the Franxx is to me totally great once you hit episode 13 and 14… and I liked 14 because I like stories more than everyone being happy… but some people think it’s teetering on the edge of failure right now. I totally disagree… but… anime people…

First episode of Golden Kamui had some weird things but I was into it. More into it than the first of the north star thing.

So far two episodes into the new Sword Art Online it’s actually not bad at all yet… it’s a lot closer to recovery of an MMO Junkie so far, but obviously that could change big time.

Macademia is great! I don’t know about the anime/later manga, but it felt like battles were decisive things. They were the climax to previous buildups rather than the whole upward climb, which made me enjoy it a lot.

Darling and the Franxxxxx started in the worst possible way, but it had those eva vibes that made me give it another shot, then after Episode 4 (iirc) they dial the fan service to almost nothing, leaving behind the eva goodness. That cockpit design is still unforgivable though.

Episode 1 of Wotaku has me really hopeful. The manga had been on my to-read pile for a while.

2 Likes
  • FLCL is being made by Production IG because the original FLCL was a collaboration between Gainax and Production IG, and this is pure conjecture but I am guessing that all the creative folks from Gainax are now at Trigger and IP rights issues might have made it difficult for Trigger to be in on it.

• @SkeleRym if you can take a break from Overwatch to play Persona 3-4-5 you should, you would really dig them.

• Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii looks like it will be good for two reasons. First, it is based on a josei manga about and aimed at adults and not teenage boys so perversion will almost certainly be low. Second, it is running on the Noitamina anime programming block which again skews toward an older and broader audience than 16-24 year old males. Also judging by the OP animation it has massive budget.

• Darker Than Black is cool.

• Golden Kamuy is the shit, my wife and I are both way into it and everyone should read or watch it.

• Tada-kun wa Koi wo Shinai looks interesting to me because its chill romance like Scott said, but I am interested in seeing how they treat a western love interest which is pretty unusual. I’ve always wanted to see a show where a western character isn’t either handwaved as being half Japanese or made a stereotyped gag character. I am curious which way the show will go.

• Uma-musume Pretty Derby is… actually kinda good? Nothing amazing art but its cute and silly.

• Nil Adimirari no Tenbin - Its based on an otome-ge visual novel that looks REALLY PRETTY and has lots of pretty boys but might also have an interesting plot. Also Taisho-era was the late 1910’s to 1920’s, it was really short IRL because the emperor at the time was rather sickly.

Got around to watching Tada-kun wa koi wo Shinai and it’s definitely not going anywhere new with western characters. While it mostly avoids the western gag character stereotypes (she’s a bit of a weeb who learned Japanese watching Japanese period dramas but they don’t overplay it too much) it is definitely going the handwave route. It not a bad treatment but its just kinda boring.

Because I’ve been recently watching a lot of anime, particularly from the last year, I also went back and watched episodes of “Judge Anime By Its Cover”. Apparently I watched this episode before, or more likely had it on in the background during work or something. In any case, one of the assessments here really made me rather annoyed in this one. To paraphrase: “My Hero Academia is Bleach”.

Rym, honey, that is such a naive take that it hurts. My Hero Academia is a rich tapestry of thoughts and ideals. It has various ideologies taking form, it has themes like mentorship, self-sacrifice, and assuming responsibilties beyond your means for the detriment of yourself and your closer social network. With its importing of american superhero comic book aesthetics into manga it also quite clearly drew a new landscape in the manga world. In addition to that it also has a diverse cast of characters, fun interactions between them, and though I think the worldbuilding could be better also explores very well what a super-powered society could look like, even if the scope is a bit limited.

While I still think One Piece is a better manga (though quite honestly, My Hero Academia is getting up there), the show is also by far the best anime adaptation of any long-runing shonen action series ever, the only real contender being Hajime no Ippo. The animation is top notch, the pacing isn’t handicapped into oblivion due to ridiculous studio expectations, and production overall just feels well done and polished.

Bleach on the other hand has none of the above. While the anime adaptation is of course hampered by the Dragonball model of keeping the show running at all cost and including filler out the whazoo, it was also quite cheaply done. What’s worse however is that the manga is also awfully paced with single fight sequences taking multiple chapters which are in essence empty calories, most often devoid of background art and with little to no text moving the plot forward. The only thing that Bleach had going for it was good, stylish character art, but even that fell flat as the series is without meaning, themes, or values, and its characters quickly boil down to stereotypes and tropes in the little characterization that they got.

In short, Bleach is crap that put style over substance and managed to bamboozle audiences for a while with it and had a godawful anime series to boot. My Hero Academia has both style and substance, and its anime adaptation is a master class in how a shonen action series should be done.

2 Likes

Thanks to the camera angle, when Scott is gesticulating and his hands come in the frame, they look comically large.

This is because my apartment is small. I have to use a wide angle and we have to be close to it. If I could put the camera further away, I would.