In the News

3 Likes

huh, do they keep the kids in the back???

1 Like

Details from the article:

The fine detailed that Chipotle had employees under the age of 18 working past midnight and for more than 48 hours a week. Teenagers told investigators their hours of work were so long that it was preventing them from keeping up with their schoolwork. The company also regularly hired minors without work permits.

The settlement total is closer to $2 million, including penalties for earned sick time violations in which managers granted employees paid time off only for certain illnesses. The violations also include failure to keep accurate records and pay timely wages.

3 Likes

Wow that comment section is abhorrent

MA has weird laws about when minors can work, which is likely what this is refering to.

More details for anyone interested: The CumEx-Files – How Europe's taxpayers have been swindled of €55 billion. A cross-border investigation | CORRECTIV

Well the stock market seems to be doing well…

Great time to buy.

there were multiple BTFD moments yesterday that failed to stem the tide downward.

Stop eating sprouts.

https://www.cdc.gov/ecoli/2020/o103h2-02-20/index.html

“Oh but Pete, this is just one outbreak!”

Here’s a history of outbreaks traced back to Jimmy John’s sprouts over the past decade:

Salmonella and E. coli Outbreaks: Why Does Jimmy Johns Still Serve Sprouts? | Food Poison Journal

Sprouts: bad news.

2 Likes
  1. Bean Sprouts > clover sprouts
  2. Wash your goddamn vegetables!
  3. Jimmy Johns, I am not surprised (worked in one graveyard shift for 3 months)

Bean sprouts as just as bad for foodborne illness as clover sprouts, FYI. Also washing your produce does effectively nothing so you might as well literally just eat em right out the dirt.

#boilyourlettuce

2 Likes

Point 1 was merely a taste/physical sensation judgement
How is point 2 not valid per Fruit and Vegetable Safety | CDC

It’s better than literally nothing (that’s why I said “effectively nothing”), but is not actually an appreciable food safety measure. It’s been known in food microbiology for a while now:

The best intervention is cooking your produce, 100% of the time. Washing alone is not effective enough to constitute a meaningful intervention.

1 Like

Killing with FIRE is the only way.

I hate sprouts anyway.

This is bad news for my love of celery and hummus. And raw lettuce on sandwiches. Baby carrots and any dip…

Damnit right as I’m finding delicious veggies to replace the last non vegan things in my diet I’m learning I gotta cook them and make 'em less able to be finger food…

Aren’t some produce, particularly mushrooms, grown in manure?