Houses and Home Ownership

1 Like

Time to play the shittiest game, “do I actually need a new roof or is this one roofing company trying to upsell me on a pricey project?”

Anyway, how is everyone else’s house bullshit going?

2 Likes

I’m getting little stones and dirt falling from one of my basement walls onto my laundry table, so I’ve probably got to handle that.

2 Likes

I need to have my rainwater drains and gutters professionally cleared and I’ve got squirrels and carpenter bees I need to evict.

2 Likes

On our range hood there are two knobs. One for fan, one for light. The light one broke loose internally. So turning it was all “squishy”. You could tell you were turning the entire mechanism and you couldn’t get any resistance to actually turn the light on or off until you turned it really far. Probably breaking it more every time we turn it.

So I go to try to fix it. I took the knob off, but couldnt’ get it back on all the way. That made things worse.

I went for a second attemptrealizing I had to take the plate off the hood to access behind the knob. I quickly learned that the four screws that hold the face of the hood in place are actually carrying the entire hood. If I unscrewed them all the hood itself would come crashing down onto the stove.

Guess I’ll have to get the building to repair it, but that will be a few weeks since I’m leaving town and also I feel bad bothering the super after he so recently was here for the dishwasher noise.

1 Like

I’ve got intermittent water coming in around my chimney, So I need to find someone to seal that up and not try to tell me I need to replace my whole roof.

1 Like

My house is settling, so the closet door in my guestroom won’t close anymore because the top of the doorframe is no longer straight.

Just the thought that different parts of my house are slowly sinking into the ground freaks me out.

1 Like

totally normal for any house, as long as you aren’t seeing structural issues shouldn’t be anything to worry about. You may just need to rehang/file off part of the door so it is still useable.

@jabrams007 how old is the house?

1 Like

It was built in 1999, so around 22 years old now.

I know compared to having to replace my roof or some of the other things that people have mentioned, having a closet door that won’t close is nothing to worry about, but the conceptual idea that my house is sinking just scares the crap out of me.

Ive got a 100 year old house, the 3rd floor stairwell frame is wonky from the settling its done (its well settled at this point) and the floors are level enough its not an issue but its just a thing houses do. If you are truly concerned you can have a structural engineer verify but that will cost $$$.

1 Like

A tree on our property that is hanging over a public path is slowly falling over. It needs sorting. Thankfully we contacted the property management company and they are dealing with it.

As a fun project, because we are having a tree removed we need to plant four trees to replace it. Not on our property, but somewhere close by. Not sure what the solution is to that, but we have time.

Fruit tree. Apple, fig. Something tasty.

One weird silver lining in this stupid roof bullshit is that interest rates are low and the housing market is ludicrous, so I have a fuckton of unexpected equity with which I can try to secure a HELOC at stupid low interest.

I may come out of this with better financial leverage than I had going in.

4 Likes

Peach tree. In my experience, they’re the easiest and most delicious, and they don’t get too big.

Fruit tree? Fig tree? Peach tree? Where do you think we live?

We’re going to pay for someone to plant some appropriate tree next to a nearby road or something like that. That’s the standard for replacement trees in the north of Germany.

3 Likes

Pretty sure apples and cherries are native to Germany (or at least were introduced and cultivated so long ago that they’re now effectively native), but other than that the native fruits are berry shrubs.

I think maybe pears too, but pears are the most boring fruit on planet earth so I don’t know why anyone would plant them.

Also fruit trees require regular maintenance in order to bear useful fruit. Lots of pruning and pest control. If you’re not interested in that, plant something else.

Decently high in sugar, easy to process for the mash, you can make some good liquor from pears.