Gun Control

Yeah been a long-time gun meme of people making batches of pipe-guns from Home Depot or 3D printing Liberators or whatever, all of which can be made for maybe $25 or less, and then trading them in for $200 gift cards or whatever. Surprising that someone got away with doing it for thousands of dollars, apparently. Sounds kinda made-up to me to be honest like officers running the event would get wise to the con. Or maybe they didn’t care.

But clearly it’s a bad incentive to say “we’ll pay you a lot of money for unregistered, homemade guns” when you can then legally(?) go and manufacture unregistered homemade guns for a few bucks each and little actual human effort.

It’s literally just printing money.

The attempt to close the loophole by saying it has to be multi-shot, well, for now that seems like it’ll work. And the ability for officers to use some judgement about the situation to adjust the prize amount is the real ‘common sense’ sort of move. But cheaply made semi-auto homebrew firearms are getting more and more common, and capable, and ultimately those will also be cheap to make (even if they don’t quite work good, so do some factory made firearms)

In some sense we have to respect that the awesome maker movement, the one I consider myself part of and has brought a lot of great things, has given all these creators who can make killer cosplay kit, the tools to make killer cosplay kit.

And meanwhile we can see those types of skills playing out in conflicts today, with inventive students making hell cannons and tanks in the middle east. And young folks getting called up into national defense corps and figuring out how to turn common quad-copters into personalized mortar delivery drones.

The difference in those cases of course is the context, and the social acceptance and impetus behind such ‘creative’ applications of their skills. And of course I have to acknowledge that the proliferation and availability of actual munitions to defense forces in a warzone is what differentiates someone being able to make a drone into an effective battlefield weapon vs a curious kid making a theoretical proof of concept toy, one that can only drop at best a firecracker. In the relatively safe and civil world, removed from the threat of bomb and missile strike, we rightly should want to prevent a preponderance of those curious kids from causing more mischief.

Still this all highlights that firearms technology, old as it is, is out there. And the tools that make most things be the same tools used to make firearms both recreationally and professionally. The device that can contain and direct the projectile is well within the means of anyone with a modicum of motivation or even passing interest to make. And it is the object which many covet and are interested in. So the technology and know-how will continue to expand.

The key then, IMO, is the ordinance. A million crates of AK-47s are so much paperweight and wall decoration without an ammunition supply. A drone is a drone until you strap a soviet mortar shell to a 3D printed release mechanism. Then it’s a precision strike weapon. The kids who are into guns aren’t getting off on having exotic and interesting ammo.

I still have a few rifles from my days when I was more into them. I have maybe a handful of rounds of ammo leftover from then. I still like the guns, they’re neat specimens. No interest in giving them up. Yet a state law requiring us to do the most trivial work to get the basic permit to be able to buy ammo, was enough for me to go ‘eh, I’m good.’ I have not bothered in something like 8 years to actually go get that simple permit. And so I haven’t bothered to get more ammo. (Also I’m not making a ton of money and ammo isn’t exactly cheap. So there’s that.)

I’d say they either didn’t care, or wanted to explicitly encourage it. There’s a lot of cops and the like who are very much that particular type of gun-fetishist weirdo who thinks every lefty is coming to take their guns. You know, the kind who post their detailed instructions on how they want to shoot people and get away with it(to the point of inventing contrived scenarios to fantasize), or the kind who post their detailed plans on how they’re going to hide or “Lose” their guns, in trivially searchable public forums like (or rather, especially on) Quora. Shit, you read the bios of those folks, and ever second weird one of them is some sort of active or retired cop.

At least Canada has the right idea.

1 Like

Interesting information about what damage appears to have been actually done when nutjobs shot up electrical substations in North Carolina, with some very obvious details and conclusions left unaddressed by the author and the authorities…

https://abc7.com/texas-gun-laws-tx-senator-mass-shootings-uvalde-school-shooting/12734822

Nice messaging bills but I didn’t need to keep reading after this detail:

State Sen. Roland Gutierrez, D-San Antonio, introduced bills that, if enacted, would…

A Democrat, in Texas, proposing gun legislation. Yeah, nothing is going to happen here.

Ban the AR-15 and the .223 in America. Full stop. Seize every single one of them.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/interactive/2023/ar-15-damage-to-human-body/?itid=hp-top-table-main_p001_f001

No good person owns an AR-15 in 2023.

And thus, every bad person and every douche bag asshole makes sure that they DO own one.

Recently, I was remembering the first time I heard that regular people that I knew (co-workers) were acquiring AR-15’s and customizing them with accessories. Even though I live in a western state with a big gun culture, it was still pretty jarring to me that a regular person could just go into a store and buy a military weapon (didn’t even need to “know a guy”) and then spend a bunch of money personalizing it. And I was wondering “but why? So you can go to the shooting range and think you look like the baddest ass there when everyone else has actual hunting rifles?” This was maybe 10-12 years ago, just as the “big expensive truck” mentality was also gaining steam. Same exact vibe, same person attracted to both.

1 Like

“Ghost guns” referring to 3D printed guns.

Well it looks like from reading it the solution is just to ban all private manufacture of firearms without an FFL. Which is what this is. Ghost Guns technically refer to any firearm made without a properly logged serial number. Any FFL that manufactures a firearm is expected to serialize every receiver made and record that into their bound logbook. However private individuals could just make a gun for their own use and if they aren’t an FFL holder have no such logbook in which to record a serial number. So it was seen as pointless to even require a serial number since A: each gun would traditionally be quite unique and identifiable, and B: there would not be that many of them.

Now with home mfg like 3D printing but also just the proliferation of nearly-complete but not fully realized “80%” receivers anyone could go ahead and make the one part needed that had to actually be tracked at home. And unlike before when it was some hand-filed custom rifle, now these are indistinguishable from the other factory rifles that would be serialized.

So clearly the standard ought to change. And so it makes sense, whether people like it or not, that it’s no longer enough to just do a few operations yourself following a jig and call yourself the mfg of that particular firearm.

But as the article mentions until there’s some kind of change on the serialization or tracking of items such as barrels, bolts, and bullets then it remains generally pretty trivial for someone to actually just make a working receiver. Whether it’s legal or not.

The main thing is Barrels wear out. Bolts wear out. Bullets are consumables. So there’s been huge resistance to tracking those in the US since you might go through 2-3 barrels and bolts in the ‘lifetime’ of a given firearm before the rest is fully worn out. And some folks may swap barrels more frequently depending on the type of ammo they want to use or other factors. Additionally to that, those items being completely unregulated for the most part means they’re everywhere and have been made in vast numbers. The only viable option going forward is to just consider certain gun parts, while not serialized, unable to be sold on their own by anyone but an FFL and with a background check of some kind at the time of sale. That would take some serious doing to put that together, and would again only matter if done at the federal level. But it is the better solution if the goal is to actually stem mfg of ‘ghost guns’ by people who can’t otherwise legally buy a firearm. It won’t stop everything but, most people won’t be competent enough to do things like bathtub electrochemical etching or properly hardening steel to make safe locking lugs. Folks might still homebrew a 9mm kludge but won’t be making AR-15 barrels or bolts in their basement.

1 Like

So, here’s an interesting case that determines whether marijuana users should own guns.