General Tabletop RPG Thread

D&D 4 is a fairly playable tactical miniatures skirmish game with campaigning elements.

Torchkeeper? Seems to be a novel series? I assume you mean Torchbearer. It does some things well. It hearkens back to certain ideas from OD&D, but I can see reasons you could have a preference for OD&D. Torchbearer is sort of the result of a specific meta-goal for what the game should be, and that can be good for certain tables, but the opaqueness of OD&D can also be an asset for certain tables.

As for balance, yeah 3.0/3.5 didn’t really have any semblance of it. Part of that was Monty’s preferences, part of that hearkens back to older editions with sliding scales (both xp and usefulness as you level). That’s why 4e ended up like it did (and was Mearls first lead at WotC), as a reaction to that which came before. But there’s also something about those older systems and designs wherein the implicit assumption of balance wasn’t so sacrosanct. Or that whole weird era of 2e where they thought they were making… books or something (Birthright, Dragonlance).

I’ve played and ran a lot of different game systems. I’m not really into anti-D&D hype, and I’m not really into any form of D&D one-true-way-ism. There are a lot of lessons to learn in almost all the stuff out there, and especially with other groups/tables/players.

That’s actually quite delightful to hear. I’ve never played 5 so I just assumed due to the fact that it was a newer game that it would a bit lighter on materials.

3.5 feels like the posterchild for why not to build a mechanical subsystem for every conceivable thing. The unearthed arcana content I mentioned is WOTC published articles for download as PDFs for 5e that specifically include class reworks, new races, mechanic systems, etc. that can be worked in (also thinking of the many alternate rules options for DMs in the 5e DMG).

@PrinceRobot I loved 4e’s focus on the game side of it all and played for a few years. However its hard to argue the inherent and unextractable core D&D DNA that 4e retained is a benefit to the rest of the core game (ever increasing item bonus chasing, stat arrays, crafting rules) vs. just being there to because its D&D.

And yes I did mean torchbearer switched up the names in my head.

My aversion / rant was and is mainly to the D&D-centricity that is promulgated when I find it hard to recommend the game (in any version) on the merits of its actual rules system and moment to moment play.

My opinion is that dnd is not a bad game. It’s fine, and if what you wanna do is what it does well, it’s perfect. It’s just a particular sort of game.

It’d be like if polo was the dominant sport. You try and show your friends hockey, and weird ass questions start coming out.“Where are the horses? How do you get any weight behind your hits without a hammer? Why are there no rules about approaching the puck, won’t the horses crash into each other?”’

The problem isn’t dnd itself. It’s its dominance. In polo world, polo isn’t any different, it’s just it’s influence is getting in the way of introducing people to other different games.

1 Like

You’re into weird talking out of your ass territory. Specific premises and conclusions for an argument please.

That example reminds me of so many things. It’s not even game specific like D&D vs GURPS or something. It can come down to the table, the gaming group, the individuals. Check out https://www.reddit.com/r/rpghorrorstories/ for example. How many people are showing up to a game with “alternative” extrinsic motivations? And how many people don’t take the time or don’t have the mental hardware to sift through the wheat and chaff and confuse/conflate the game at the table from the game as a system from the people playing the game. “When I joined this group, I didn’t realize we were here to get the DM off on his power-trip/sex-dungeon/racist-justification fantasy.”

I try to always consider what the objective is, your personal objective, the other player’s objective, the system’s objective, etc.

My experience of the general consensus from WOTC’s own D&D forums was that Crafting in 4e was known to be a system not worth interacting with.

Mearls and Crawford specifically moved 5e’s design to what they called “Bounded accuracy” because of the upkeep and Primary stat focus issues the moving to-hit window caused in 4e for both PC character improvement and the need to dole out/make available increasing + magic items and item quality levels.

Are you looking for specific quotable citations or statistical writeups? I’m just bitching about what I perceive to be D&Ds stifling impact on the critical-design space around RPGs that Okeefe’s tweet share exemplified.

Honestly I don’t even remember a crafting system in 4e. Oh, maybe it was that whole residuum thing? I played a full 30 level campaign, and for the most part everyone just “found” whatever items were best for their characters. I don’t recall it being a bad system, inherently, it was just a very lazy design because the notion of items changed dramatically from earlier editions. I’m not sure what perspective you’re taking “worth” from here, and how that ties to “D&D” as a specific game across different editions.

4e didn’t have problems with that, that was 3e. 3e you could have +50 to hit or +10 at the same level, still rolling a d20 to modify it. Scaling was wonky, magic items were plentiful ranged in ridiculousness, and there was an expectation of +'s scaling. They largely did away with this in 4e. 4e did have a defined bound “you should have +x and y”, but deviating from it as a group was vastly vastly simpler than 3e. 4e I ran and played quite a bit, and the problems it suffered from where not that it was “unbalanced” so much as it was “too balanced”. Level 9 played like 19 played like 29. Numbers kept scaling up, but combats religiously took us 2 hours, and always felt basically identical. All the terrain variety and specific character skills and opponents kinda meant not much, because every character and every enemy played by certain pre-determined rules. In that, they were successful in their design, but it also made the game very boring for a certain different objective of role-playing games.

To get into this even further, in late 3e there was a 3rd party book published that tried to “reveal” the underlying numbers and systems for 3e D&D and ascribe some semblance of system to it so you could balance the unbalanced game.

I’m just trying to get you to articulate an actual argument with premises that purport to lead to some kind of conclusion. You likely don’t need any specific numbers, because we “should” be talking conceptually here.

There was a 3rd party book I’m really having trouble remembering the name of that came out in the 3.0/3.5 era that was largely the “first” professional attempt to standardize and streamline the progression that characters would potentially go through in that edition. It looked at monster stats, for example, to try to figure out based on attack ratings, damage, saves, ac, hit points, etc what was a balanced creature of X and what players should be expected to have in their attacks and defenses, etc. This was published significantly before 4e, and was VERY informative in 4e design. Like I’ve said way up-thread, each edition was a reaction to that which came before. 3e had rules for everything, dozens of subsystems that could be good/bad/exploited/ignored/etc, and one of the major sticking points for people was how “unbalanced” the game got in various different ways as you progressed in leveling. That reaction heavily informed 4e’s design, as well as their desire to get out an internet product and try to turn it into a revenue stream. And 5e was a reaction to the “dullness” that some people felt with 4e, and more, etc.

What I take some of your comments to be are about some kind of (in your words) DNA of the game that is… maybe badwrong? And that no edition or game has ever been the best at doing something? And then now getting stuck on non-sequitur stuff about the specific minutia of numbers, which really are not here nor there, though conceptually the numbers did have an effect on the design in various later iterations.

There were 4e math problems that they half-assedly fixed by making some feats free via errata and publishing correct monster math… in MM3. Essentials might also have been part of that, but I had already abandoned 4e by then.

Fundamentally, 4e was too different from what most people wanted in D&D, and it didn’t do nearly as well as WotC needed it to. Tactical fighting minis wasn’t an approach for people who wanted roleplay with occasional fights. With the right fight-first group, it worked, and I had a lot of fun running 4e. My experience was with low levels only, before play got complicated.

Essentials, the published Dragon article materials, and post MM3 material all contributed to essentially a stealth 4.5 edition. I actually think a lot of the newer classes and reworked content did work and was streamlined and this is when I was playing 4e (I came to it fairly late in its edition cycle).

I’m not saying there was never anything that was too strong/too weak in 4e, but you guys are bringing up tiny minutia. I remember the first big correction was something like MM1 ACs were too high or something. That’s not nearly the same thing as 3e’s problems. In 3e you “might” have 8 different magic items all increasing different “types” of stacking and non-stacking bonuses. Then you’ve got buffing spells and other mechanics that sort of change the nature of what you’re doing. And someone else might have no such bonuses. And then someone could cast a dispel or disjunction.

That’s all really not in the same ballpark.

That’s the book I was remembering. And as luck would have it I purchased it and Drive Thru RPG still remembers that.

It’s a whole book, but this was kind of part of a whole movement towards what 4e became.

Two part response:

Part 1: Specific responses to your questions:

1a 4e crating : I stopped my subscription to Wizards backend systems for 4e long ago so I cannot lookup the crafting system rules to specifically tell you what I am talking about (I was able to play and GM the system completely using the 4e online compendium, character builder, and and encounter builder and so paid a monthly sub to access these and never bought a single book and had access to all content 4e ever published).

1b accuracy: Bounded accuracy in 5e specifically means that your stats never raise above 20, there is only magic +1, +2, +3, there are no item crafting levels conferring statistical increases (ie masterwork) there are not, generally speaking, multiple versions of monsters for varying levels of play. so a dragon is always pretty dangerous and and maybe a higher level party can take one done, goblins are deadly in swarms to low level/non magic PCs but are only ever single hit die hp and single hit die attack monsters.

1c: my experience of playing 4e was pretty much the opposite of you, but I entered it with a board game mindset and generally players and GMs both enjoyed the combat chess and we were playing it with all content published for the most part and well written optimization guides on all the forums to make informed choices.

2 General critical response to D&D as a functional system:
Modifiers (stat mod, prof, feat bonuses, magic item, etc) + d20 to do said thing is prone to goblin dice problem of large variability in accomplishing tasks due to such a swingy chance input. I think systems like Dungeonworlds simplified 2d6 +mod and the outcome range (6 or less fail get xp, 7-9 success with a cost, 10+ complete success) are inherently more interesting from a player perspective just in mechanical terms, let alone actual roleplaying. Other Retro-D&D style systems I’ve interacted with like DungeonWorld emulate the feel of a D&D game but through what I consider much better mechanical systems that interlock with story better (dungeonworld and PtbA systems are inherently narrative driven mechanical systems).

That’s not a 3e problem so much as part of its fundamental design. Having a GM/group who cares was the only way to stop those kinds of abuses.

3e was too complicated for what I wanted. And we didn’t run into those problems because we stayed with the three core books and, stayed low level, and most importantly didn’t care about weird optimization corners of character design.

I’m obviously well aware of what their “bounded accuracy” is. That’s once again not really here nor there.

So you had some unbalanced specific games in 4e. Sure. That could come down to any sort of minutia, individual players or GMs favoring certain table strategies, unbalanced mechanics added in specific books, etc. 4e had its own problems, and 5e is a reaction to some of those. You’re also going to be prone to exacerbating the most broken parts of the system obviously if you’re hanging around char-op on gitpg or the wotc forums. If a game is complex enough and there are broken ways to play it, you’ve got a good chance of stumbling into those if you combine the efforts of most of the people playing on the internet and all that. I never set out to “defend” 4e, but it WAS vastly more balance-focused than that which came before.

Getting into dice statistics and making this about bell curve vs linear seems like the least relevant point of contention with the hobby. Sure, make it 2d10 or something and adjust the numbers a little bit to hit an arbitrary success failure rate that you feel comfortable with. I thought we were talking about RPGs as a hobby, not whether it’s better to play with a deck of cards or a magic eight ball. My personal preference with no other considerations is the jenga tower from dread, because it’s elegant and comprehensible immediately to non-gamers.

This all doesn’t get back to the original supposition obviously. What is it that “D&D” is doing wrong that other games are always better for?

Sure, it has more than one problem. Some of which are inherent. It was too complicated, but it was drafted as a reaction to 2e which was even more into the DM fiat territory. Instead 3e “wanted” to have a rule for everything. There was a weird class in one of the books that dealt damage based on the weight of an object they threw.

A lot of people did something similar to what you describe with the E6 system, which was basically D&D 1-6 with further progression being offloaded to feats and minor class features. I enjoyed that.

I mean I guess we should drop this at this point? The core resolution system having various states of success and the mechanical systems being explicitly narrative driven first was a major selling point of DungeonWorld to be which is why I brought it up vs the core resolution mechanic in D&D but we seem to be talking past each other.

If you’re falling back to the dice thing again, the reason it doesn’t even seem like a point to me is because they’ve literally put other variants in as optional rules that people are perfectly welcome to try.

3e Unearthed Arcana was one of my all-time favorite books. On page 132 you have bell curve dice rolls with notes about how that changes the game. There’s also players roll all the dice, which is always an interesting consideration. In chapter 4 there’s also some interesting sections for using armor as a form of mitigation rather than avoidance and injury/vitality/wound systems. It’s a fantastic resource for basically any game just for introducing how certain concepts would shake up the system.

My own fantasy heart breaker used a linear d20, but had breakpoints for miss, glancing, hit, critical hit that was modeled around bell curve dice rolls. That’s sort of why I immediately discount your comment about preferring multiple dice and different outcomes, you can represent it multiple ways. Map any curve to d100, or further if you need it to be more granular, you can do what “feels” good and has human usable heuristics… but it’s not necessarily different. Saying “I prefer dice pools” to d20 doesn’t really mean a lot useful to me. Also to go back a bit, the number of states for the d20 in 3e originally was actually more broad than it’s typically used in 4e with more variance on critical threat range, automatic hit or miss, miss, and then modifiers like power attack and the gamble inherent in that… which are all interesting… but can be quite wonky.

Another perspective from one of your earlier statements, mapping rules to story, I think it often goes unsaid that this can cut two ways. Sometimes people are using a game to tell the story they want to tell, other times the game is telling you the story. Not really here nor there, but I think a lot of D&D was predicated on the latter, but people often thought it was designed for the former (hense why you get novel-in-adventures like Dragonlance).

As was echoed several times, my main beef with 4e was that every conflict felt the same and took forever. You had a bunch of cool attacks or spells or whatever that sounded cooler as you gained levels, but they did the exact same thing.

Fireball - 3d6 damage vs 40-hp creatures
Nukeball - 6d6 damage vs 80-hp creatures
NUKECUBE - 12d6 damage vs 160-hp creatures

No action in combat felt different from any other action.

2 Likes

The slog of slogs.