GeekNights Tuesday - Roguelikes

I really like Roguelikes and bought FTL when it came out, but only dabbled in it for like a week or two. So now, 7 years later, I’ve picked it back up again, playing it while watching Desert Bus. Banging my head against the wall for like three days now, but I finally managed to pick up my first Federation victory. Mostly this was on the back of getting a second Burst Laser Mk. II, a pre-igniter and an Auto-reloader.

I’ve played a bunch of Roguelikes in my day (Binding of Isaac, Spelunky, Nuclear Throne, Rogue Legacy, etc.) but I think FTL is the toughest of the bunch.

1 Like

There’s definitely a high capacity to get trapped in a fitness landscape valley you’ll never be able to climb out of based on early ship component/crew choices that you never get the ability to fully realize. My 2 winning strategies when I played it were both with the starter ship either making it a stealth teleport bomber to effective destroy/disable key points on the flagship or just making a burst fire laser ship of the the line with huge shields and repair capabilities to slog it out. I never quite worked out the boarding strategy for beating it before I stopped playing. I sometimes wish their were alternate campaigns with different end goals. The Flagship battle at the end really did feel like a Great filter that only hyper competitive and specialized ship builds could overcome.

1 Like

I mean, there’s mods. The only alt goal one I ever installed was the Endless one that just let you play forever, but I’d be sure there are alternative ending ones.

Clone bay + mantis boarders. Infinite supply.

3 Likes

They were so close!

Also you can now play Into The Breach on, uh, Netflix?

I just DL’d it yesteday, The integration is pretty seamless.

1. Launch Netflix on mobile
  2. At the Bottom of the main screen UI click on Gaming
  3. Pick a game from the new menu that pops up, it takes you to a custom play store/apple store download
  4. Launch Game (it seamlessly signs in with your netflix mobile credentials)
    5.Pick a profile in game and play.

I had a lot of fun playing into the breach again on my phone for free* and there were a couple of other well renowned games like Before Your Eyes and Moonlighter and I even enjoyed the silly mahjong solitaire they had.

1 Like