GeekNights Thursday - Camp

There was a lot of cross over between my local Boy Scout troop and the high school marching band for whatever reason. A lot of Scouts dropped out, myself included, once they got to high school and had to focus so much of their spare time on the band.

Somewhat related

https://youtu.be/M9vufh4uQ7M

Iā€™ve already considered it. Only child needs to get pushed out of the house and get some seasoning.

I have a weakness for the 2-week specialty camps, though. I recall being 14 or 15 and my parents driving 25 minutes each way to Sandy Hook for half the summer to take me to some special marine biology camp. I donā€™t even remember how I found out about this thing but I lobbied them to let me go. Shit was ridiculous. Every day out exploring with the park rangers, doing all sorts of dissections in a lab classroom, etc.

The two week specialty camps are good for the actual material. I was a counselor at ā€œCybercampsā€ one summer.

However, the 8 week sleepaway camp is good for the culture, traditions, going back every year (costing you lost of money), and building a group of friends that isnā€™t related to school or family. I wasnā€™t able to do that because I couldnā€™t go to the same camp every year for all 8 weeks, but my cousins and lots of other people did. I was jelly.

I did this. 8 week camp in the Poconos. Which is why I was like :frowning: when Rym was all ā€œfuck the Poconos nothing of value is thereā€ when talking about skiing. Itā€™s where my 8 week camp friends were.

I agree the Boy Scouting experience is very dependent on how the adult leaders decided to run it, which is why my Eagle acceptance speech thingy was 100% spent thanking my dad and my friendsā€™ dads for creating a decade worth of adventures for me and my friends. They planned and researched new trips for us every month (many of us got the year-round-camper award several times) from mountain climbing, to backpacking, to cross-country ski trekking, to orienteering (I still participate in meets regularly!), to low-key local camp-outs in the state forests around our home town. It was awesome, it was incredibly enriching, and summer camp was just one small part of it.

Except the BSA doesnā€™t have Native American origins. Its Native American-themed elements (like the military-themed ones) are a play-pretend veneer partly to make the content more interesting to young boys (of a certain era) and partly an intentional appropriation of perceived philosophical and spiritual ideals without any real understanding, respect, or participation of the appropriated culture. Every ā€œNative Americanā€ I ever encountered in Scouts was actually a white dude in a Halloween costume who knew fuck-all about Native American culture. The BSA could and should do completely away with this disrespectful theme-park bullshit and double down on the good parts: outdoor- and life-skill development, and mentorship-based (rather than authority-based) leadership where more experienced kids lead and teach the less experienced ones.

1 Like

I had a great scouting experience, but it was a big well funded troop run by people who really just wanted to focus on skill building and camping (and not the religious side), I never advanced beyond the first level that allows leadership positions because all I wanted to do was go camping, explore off the trails and play magic/D&D.

I just realized that my earliest introduction to webcomics was probably when a friend of mine brought one of his OOTS books to summer scout camp and a bunch of us read it around the fire.

Webcomics didnā€™t exist when I was in camp. But I was introduced to Linux there. Also Battletech.