GeekNights Monday - Breaking up Big Tech Companies

dafuq

#15characters

I feel like a vast majority of Pinterest traffic is just people trying to image search something in a browser to download, and getting linked to goddamn Pinterest.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s when people like US visit Pinterest, yes. But trust me. A LOT of people go directly to Pinterest on purpose.

Pinterest is the worst.

1 Like

I donā€™t get the impression itā€™s actively eroding the fabric of society, so that puts itā€¦ in the top half?

1 Like

Iā€™ve only ever seen people use Pinterest for posting pictures of their artsy food projects. Is there something truly heinous about this site of which Iā€™m unaware?

The only thing heinous about it is their pollution of google image search results.

6 Likes

I was honestly wondering about this one, because in the past Iā€™ve totally missed the outrage or ā€œcancelingā€ of a website or service.

For example, I once read a blog post which began ā€œWe can all agree Goodreads is terrible, garbage, toxic, and bad for authorsā€¦ā€

I was like ā€œwait, I love Goodreads! It lets me keep track of the books Iā€™ve read, get recommendations from other users, see what others are reading, post reviews, and itā€™s home for the discussion forum for my book review podcastā€.

But apparently thereā€™s a whole group of author-adjacent people who feel like thereā€™s an obligation to use it for promotion and fan communication, coupled with the feeling that bad reviews are a form of bullying. Or something.

Of course Iā€™m not exposed to that experience of Goodreads, and only find it beneficial.

Then again, I think that blog post was introducing a competitor to Goodreads, which would also track what you read and provide recommendations, etc. so maybe it was overloading on the outrage.

2 Likes

Hope this law adjusts for inflation otherwise one day theyā€™ll block the merger of two local tech repair shops, lol.

1 Like

Thatā€™s cool and all, but is it anything the DoJ couldnā€™t currently do if they had their shit together?

The FTC can block mergers, but they operate within the confines of the law. Existing anti-trust legislation defines what counts as a legal or illegal merger. If this bill becomes law, there are some mergers which are currently legal that would no longer be so.

20 billion! The acquiree has to be a little mad in these situations donā€™t you think.

Go antitrust regulators, go!

The most surprising thing to me is that figma is worth that much.

It stealthily took over basically all serious UX design globally.

1 Like

Hohohohoho. You love to see it. Very reasonable guidelines. Canā€™t wait for this to result in some action.

2 Likes