Games You are Currently Playing

new deckbuilder roguelike just dropped:Inscryption

The newest Daniel Mullen Games game, I’ve never played the others, but I’m aware of notoriety for ARG-like, haunted meta games. Inscryption lives comfortably in that gamespace, but IMO, it is far less arcane than I expected. I like games that surprise me without moonlogic. Inscryption does that.

Inscryption is a deckbuilder escaperoom. You are trapped in a remote cabin with a shadow-cloaked host. He bids you to play a game to pass the time. If you’ve played card games, it won’t be world-upending how it works. Then it makes it weird. Cards talk to you. You can walk away from the game table and mess with the cabin. It’s very cool game stuff. It’s very cool aesthetic stuff.

I don’t wanna spoil much. It’s takes the concept of card games and goes “how much can I fuck that up?”

I picked up Dicey Dungeons, from Terry Cavanagh of VVVVVV and Super Hexagon fame.

I played through one “episode” - 6 sets of levels, randomized. Roguelike.
It looks like there’s about another 5 characters to unlock, and 25 or so more episodes.

It’s just so-so. Cutesy graphics, aspects of the theme remind me of Mettaton. I don’t particularly enjoy the dice mechanics though, and that’s the whole game. Every turn is just a “maximize expected value” calculation.

So those don’t feel like particularly meaningful decisions to me. Also money and new gear/upgrades are few and far between.

Contrast with Slay the Spire, where you get to pick a new card ~every floor. Also Spire’s mechanic of seeing what the enemy is doing this turn helps a lot.

I’d say skip it.

I also played it a bunch when it came out. It’s got some fun and cute action, but not the very strong staying power. I think it leaned a little too much towards the luck and a little too much away from the strategy. I guess that’s inevitable given the nature of, you know, dice.

I’m playing The Forgotten City.

This is a fucking game. Damn. We’re talking Heaven’s Vault levels of interactive novel here. Perhaps even moreso.

1 Like

I’m 26 hours into Monster Sanctuary and hit a boss that walled me so hard it feels like I’m learning to play the game all over again.

This is a great monster raiser. Lots of nice animations, lots of monsters, lots of skill trees.

Return of the Obra Dinn is cool. You’re supposed to deduce what happened to everyone aboard the titular ship.

As far as I can tell, it is completely devoid of video game logic. The dudes dressed like officers, all officers. Guys with a particular country accent, from that country.

That said, I ended it after I watched all the memories and got maybe 15 out of 60 identities solved. I’m not walking around all these memories for hours to figure out which of these English midshipmen is which.

I was reminded of, and in the mood, to play Descent. If you don’t know, it was the first fps to be actually 3D, and not just kinda-3D like Doom or Wolfenstein. It predates Quake by about a little over a year. The first time I played it I got nauseous. I actually mostly played Descent II as a kid because we didn’t own Descent 1. My friend did. Also, it wasn’t until a few years later that I realized the correct way to configure the controls for a game like this. I played a lot of Descent II with keyboard-only, very poorly.

If you don’t know, Descent is kind of a mix between a freespace shooter like TIE Fighter and an FPS. You are in a space fighter that can fly every which way with complete freedom. You are in zero gravity outer space, so if you touch nothing, your ship just hovers wherever it is. You have complete control over pitch, yaw, roll, forward, reverse, and strafe on both axes. There is no physics or anything like a TIE Fighter. You can turn on a dime. Just complete freedom of movement in 3D space.

But unlike other freespace shooters, you are trapped inside a maze, like Doom or Wolfenstein. You are all walled in all the time. You get colored keys to open more of the map as well. The one difference is that every level has a Metroid style escape sequence. You find the core, blow it up, then race to the exit.

Anyway, the games are available on GoG, where I already owned them. I tried to play them there, which uses the original DOS release of the game plus DOSBox. It worked, but was not terrific. I tried to update the DOSBox config to make it better and then I found out that there’s actually a better way. Some fans have made a game engine called DXX-Rebirth. It’s a lot like ZDoom and friends. You get this engine, then you copy over some files from your official copy of Descent in order to play the game with updated features for modern times like improved graphics and controls.

https://www.dxx-rebirth.com/

What’s more, this project is under active development. The latest commit on their Github is only 13 days old as of this posting. I tried it out, and I can confirm it’s terrific. I was playing Descent 1 with perfect controls in 4K resolution. Dang, that game really holds up well thanks to this new engine.

There have been a few attempts to make Descent-ish games in recent times. Most notable was Overload.

Sadly, it didn’t rock the world. No matter how much you polish it, I don’t think there’s any way to make a game in this genre that doesn’t demand so much from the player in terms of controls. The lack of accessibility will prevent it from ever being a huge success. But if the game is accessible to you, I highly recommend playing the original Descent games, and continuing in chronological release order if you enjoy.

Kickass music also, especially Descent II. I used to put that CD-ROM for that game in my discman and just listen to the soundtrack.

While watching Desert Bus last week, I put a cool 75 hours into Stardew Valley. Probably a known quantity to many but my first time in it. It’s kind of a mix of a farming game and a JRPG. It also kind of reminded me of Minecraft in a way. You move to a new community in a rundown farm. You have to get the farm going again while also integrating yourself in your new surroundings. There is also an old mine you can dungeon crawl through to gain resources like metals and bat wings etc. that can come in handy. The game is also big on fishing.

I basically played until I had a good farm with steady growth, a barn and a chicken coop full of animals that are automatically fed and have a wife and a fully built-out home. Everything else in the game basically requires a premium metal that is almost exclusively available in the more dangerous other dungeon, and combat is unfortunately the least appealing part of the game. I did read in the wiki that there is a machine you get later on that dispenses ore of the premium metal, but I am content with how far I got and just stopped.

Instead I started another game I had heard good things before but simply didn’t get around to yet, Dead Cells. This is a MetroidVania Roguelite. I am not that big into the first part but I love the second part and this game is very good, though I am still a trash tier noob at it, only earlier today having reached the final boss for the first time. The combat is super fun and the various builds are entertaining to explore.

The “lite” elements are also somewhat limited, as your character doesn’t specifically get stronger, though you can improve your starting conditions by having the option of increasing your in-run currency you start out with and get randomly selected starting weapons at the start of the run instead of your garbage default weapons. To unlock that you do have to spend some currency in the form of “cells” that you lose if you don’t spend them during the run, though the amount you paid into unlocking one at the shop is permanent. There are also certain abilities you can find during the run that give you abilities to unlock other parts of each level and give you branching paths.

It’s not quite on the level of Isaac and Hades, but I do like it better than Enter the Gungeon and Spelunky so far.

I am thinking about spinning up a new farm again, this time with more mods. I tested it to see if it will work only to realize I need more memory.

I don’t know if I’m “currently playing” this game.

https://silverliningstudio.co/Behindtheframe/

I bought “Behind the Frame” on sale and played it straight through to the end in 62 minutes (according to Steam). It’s a point and click adventure that’s extremely linear. The “puzzles” are extremely easy. I guess this is what happens if you have a good user interface, don’t do obtuse LucasArts nonsense, and don’t actively try to make the game hard.

What they put all the effort into was the music, art, and writing. Behind the Frame could have easily been delivered as a graphic novel or short animated film. But the same story told in those forms would have been pretty weak. Thanks to the interactive element of having you explore the environment and “paint” to advance the story changes the pacing and gives added significance and mystery to the events that unfold.

For the low investment of money and time, this is something just about anyone can buy and play without any regrets, especially on sale. Just don’t go expecting something on the Heaven’s Vault or Forgotten City level of software storytelling. Behind the Frame is a very compact experience compared to those comparatively grand adventures.

2 Likes

Continuing playing the games that exist in the space between point+click adventure and visual novel…

Technobabylon has a free demo, and it’s on an extreme sale right now. You can even get a bundle of all the games made by this developer for way cheap. So far, Technobabylon is the only one I’ve played, and only for an hour or so.

Here’s what I can tell you. We have a straight up Ghost in the Shell meets Police Quest situation here. I think the biggest accomplishment so far is that they’ve somehow made this thing and it somehow hasn’t become wildly popular. This is the real deal.

2 Likes

I watched someone stream that game on Twitch a few years ago. I really do recommend checking out the rest of Wadjet Eye’s games. If you like classic point-and-click adventure games with neo-noir aesthetics, these devs are masters of the craft.

A friend very kindly bought me Deathloop on steam sale during Turkey weekend. I have to say its been petty enjoyable though I’ve basically only just completed the initial tutorial loops that unlocked the mechanics to save items/powerups and from now on the real game begins.

The writing and dialog is pretty snappy and enjoyable and it definitely feels like they put in a lot of work on making gunplay feel better than it did in Prey (And Prey was already a big step up from dishonered). I like the balance in a loop where you are weak initially and its in your favor to skulk around for silent kills or to pick off a small group alone to increase your arsenal but once you’ve got a good set of weapons its totally feasible to take down a large group of enemies smartly using cover and movement to mix things up.

Looking forward to learning more of the story and mechanics as I go deeper.

1 Like

Working through A Forgetful Loop from the Itch.io world land trust bundle, very novel puzzle game.

You are a team of scientists and engineers trying to repair a malfunctioning time machine. Every 30 seconds, the machine rewinds. You need to assign team members to nodes to repair them, with repaired nodes activating further connected nodes down the line. The goal is to repair the core nodes, which stay fixed through loops. It’s an interesting puzzle of worker assignment, resource management, and time attack.

1 Like

I’m still grinding on Rocket League. Trying to skill up from Diamond to Champ. I probably have another 1000 hours to go.

I’ve also returned to Opus Magnum since I hadn’t finished it.

I really like this game. It’s so satisfying to complete.

Opus Magnum - Stain Remover (390G, 93, 75, 2021-12-22-02-46-21)

2 Likes

Far from elegant; I’ve created a monster. My solutions tend toward smaller cycles but more expensive.

I can definitely optimise these with not much more time. I do just like to get to an initial solution then move on.

Opus Magnum - Sword Alloy (375G, 244, 82, 2021-12-22-16-34-47)

1 Like

Mordheim: City of the Damned

I love this game, I still play it pretty regularly. It’s wonky, and the movement system can be very frustrating, but once you learn the peculiarities of the maps, it’s quite fun

I used to hate yardwork as a kid. My dad was a smalltime landlord in a somewhat rural, very forest and mountain area. We did a lot of yard/land maintenance, raking, etc. To me, it was just stuff I had to do because my dad said so.

I’m 35 now, and I have my own yard, couple dogs, and my own kid.
I look forward to yard work in the spring and summer.
I play it on occasion, usually when I just want to sort of happy-relax.

Just finished The Pathless, excellent game, highly recommend it.

It’s fun to see all the stuff coming out clearly inspired by BotW. The Pathless said “I like traversing a big world, fuck all the other stuff”. You shoot emblems to get a speed boost and you’ve got a hawk that lets you paraglide. It’s all you need.

The bosses are phenomenal. Big fiery monsters with spectacle and intense fights. It’s not super difficult but it gives you the excitement you expect out of a bossfight. Coupled with the incredible music it’s an excellent experience.

3 Likes

Windjammers 2 just dropped a few days ago on basically everything and by far one of the funnest games released in a minute. Right in the sweet spot of “easy to learn, hard to master” style games that really breaks down to Advanced Pong. The roster is really good, everyone has different walk speeds, shot curves, and various supers that mixes things up well. If any of yall got game pass its for sure something to look at.

1 Like