Games You are Currently Playing

“It’s nice to want things.”

That’s so true. I really like the mix of randomness and skill in Fall Guys. It makes it fun to play with friends who are way less skillful than me and still be equal enough to not have them just watching me storm ahead.

In the end I stopped playing PUBG with friends because of a team air hockey problem. Once you are relying on others, and they suck, it’s really not fun. And if you are on a team with a much better player, you just feel like you are letting the side down. Or if you are on a team with someone who sucks but doesn’t know it or doesn’t admit to it… bad all round.

But we can all play Fall Guys together.

1 Like

I wish I had the PUBG skills I have now, back when there were thousands of players who weren’t yet driven away by the high skill input.

Haha, this is part of why I play FPSs so much. I started in the upper 1/4th(ish) of players in Overwatch day one just due to having played so many similar games before. And there were a lot of terrible players. I got to experience the game broadly without having to drill or train, and I could form groups from existing social circles easily.

As I get older, I tend to focus on games where I already have a strong foundation and tend to avoid games where I am starting from nothing.

Same with sports. I may yet look into paraskiing as an extension of skiing. But I would never really look into surfing at all (unless I lived somewhere like Bondi).

Me playing Star Wor in two days after not having played a freespace shooter since… I don’t even remember.

Learn your Thatch Weave and be ready to form up. You’ll be fine. :wink:

1 Like

https://youtu.be/s5f8hjzxmkA

1 Like

If you are a juggler, you start from scratch all the time. And fail so much.

I was going to make a video essay about how Getting Over It isn’t an interesting experience for jugglers, as it provides no new feelings or levels of frustration.

I also tend to really like fresh games. And it’s so opaque to try to get “back” into a lot of these games with serious formats if they have changed drastically in terms of metagame.

We were talking about this in my guild a bit with Among Us. Some people somehow wanted ranked competitive versions and some people get angry at others for playing it one way or another (too serious, too silly, etc). Exactly the kinds of problems you would expect with a werewolf/mafia game if people have different goals. In a similar context to this, and board games, the experts or constant veterans often want more minutia and more tools and eventually can make the game overwhelming to new players.

I’m not sure where I’m at for the skill based game discussion. I like to play competitive, skill requiring games quite a bit, fighters and fpses, mostly. But I’m absolute trash at them. But I also don’t have the drive and motivation to put in the necessary time and effort to get good at them.

If I have to choose do I want to get decent at one game, or play and experience thousand different games, the choice is very easy for me. Feed me the variety.

game idea: mmo elimination
1000 players

You play as a Marble, 3rd person POV

Race to the bottom of the hill, you fall off the track you lose and spawn into new race.

No input controls. you just watch.

0 skill game

ray trace the marbles, make it pretty

1 Like

Same idea, one minor modification. There is one input and exactly one input.

The start of the race track is a plinko/pachinko board. You choose the exact position on the horizontal line from which your marble will be dropped.

1 Like

Advance mode, peggle cannon.

So marblelympics X saltybet?

1 Like

I was driven away by the plague of hackers at the time the development resources of the game were being fully driven into loot boxes and cosmetics

I’ve recently playing a ton of Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1+2, a combined remake of the first two games of the series from the PS1 era. And it’s pretty good. I spent a lot of my youth playing these games so I am a prime target and for once they managed to capture the old, arcade-y feel without overdoing it like some of the later titles in the series did, all the levels look great and feel good to skate in, though I think they overdid the stuff a bit that some things kind of go missing in the textures, which is particularly noticeable in the Venice Beach level.

I played these games so much in my youth that I basically speedran them without knowing what speedrunning was. What I mean is that you had to complete each objective (collecting SKATE, finding the secret tape, high scores, etc.) with each Skater to unlock their video, and in certain early levels such as Hangar I could do the entire list in a 2 minute session. This however has gone by the wayside here. You only need to collect each objective once to unlock levels, and the levels stay unlocked for any skater. You still have to visit each level to collect the stat points for the skaters, but instead of having to do all the challenges, each skater (and the game overall) has a list of challenges to unlock additional deck graphics or outfits and gain money to to buy other stuff, including objects for the park creator tool. Some of these are tied to the objectives i.e. collecting medals, and hitting the “sick” scores in levels with that skater.

Speaking of medals: I either lost a lot of my skill in the intervening years, or these competition levels are a lot harder than they used to be. I am having an extremely hard time getting gold medals, and lost the gold in the last run more than I care to remember already. Some of the challenges also feel very hard and are kind of very obtuse in their restrictions.

Finally, I am very happy that they basically kept the entire soundtrack intact. THPS1 was a foundational piece in forming my musical taste. As far as I could find, only three songs from the original games are missing, and they added 30+ additional songs from a bunch of bands that I actually rather like, such as Screaming Females, Strung Out, Reel Big Fish, FIDLAR, A Tribe Called Quest, and Billy Talent. The only problem is that some of the songs are pretty heavily censored, particularly noticeable with Police Truck which is a rather offensive song (and intended to be).

Goldfinger played a quarantine version of Superman:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=h0rSYEoBMYM

1 Like

Not to go too far offtopic, but yeah, Goldfinger was a band I really got into in the early 2000s. Part of it was that they had a song in THPS. Another part of it was that they had a new album coming out around that time with a cover of 99 Red Balloons which drew a little attention from german press because it contains a verse in german. I distinctly remember seeing some sort of interview with them on a german TV station while waiting for the german version of Big Brother (I was a stupid 14-year old back in 2000). I think a day or so later our newspaper came with an advertising insert from an electronics chain and in it the album was advertised. Had to get it then. So yeah, Stomping Ground was the first punk album I bought. Still a decent album. Kind of unfortunate John Feldman (the lead singer) kind of went off the deep end with his PETA advocacy over the years.

Picked up Chronicon on the black friday sale, it’s been really fun. It’s an indie arpg that hits all the right buttons and excels where it needs to. Graphics are sub-par and enemy variety is below average, but it absolutely nails the feeling of stomping around a map busting hundreds of mooks while loot explodes out of them. Subworld has squared the circle of creating a game with tons of depth that can be quickly picked up to start busting heads. I wish the AAA arpgs focused on speed and gamefeel the way this one does. It’s not perfect, but I’ve played way, way worse arpgs for $12

Playing Hades. Got to what could be the final boss on the last run, but then died. I’m sure I’ll beat it soon-ish. We’ll see how much I keep playing. Pretty sure it’s a play forever sort of thing, as it’s a roguelike and there are many many things I have not unlocked.