Formula 1

The race today in Monza highlighted some serious issues with Formula 1 for me that have been building for a while, years for sure. Really glad Hamilton is ok, that was actually a scary accident given the routine issue that precipitated it.

That is actually the first issue, two cars contending for advantage through corners. If one driver is later on the brakes or is otherwise significantly faster than the car that is being overtaken then passing in a braking zone or with a creative line through a corner is pointless to resist and so usually the slower car will simply concede or is unable to do much to prevent being overtaken. But this year (and last year, to a lesser degree) the differences between many of the teams seems to be much less than in years past and there is such an aerodynamic performance penalty (and ego hit) to being behind another car that I feel like many drivers are getting more aggressive and inelegant in their attack and defense. It seems like cars are just so damn wide that even if two drivers are being respectful through a contended corner it has become increasingly difficult for wheel-to-wheel racing through corners, especially on long-established circuits that do not have lots of track width plus acres of safe runoff area.

Hopefully the 2022 car rules changes and new aerodynamics will go a long way to helping this situation, but we’ll have to wait and see.

The other issue that the last few weekends of racing has highlighted is the amount of manufactured and real “drama” amongst the drivers and teams. This goes beyond Max & Lewis. I feel like that with social media, Netflix Drive to Survive, limited seats for the number of aspiring and existing drivers, constructor championship standings, etc… it is getting less fun to hear people complaining and posturing about their behavior, performance, and future. Maybe having drivers stick around for so long like Kimi, Vettel, Alonso, and even Hamilton is actually not a good thing because it creates a log jam at the old-end of careers and team driver plans and such. Sure, teams want proven drivers who can perform and provide valuable feedback for car development and they also want to have a promising driver or two ready to come in when the old guy leaves, but there is a constant influx of new and exciting drivers that want to both prove themselves and that teams want see if they can deliver in the spotlight.

All of this is not a new problem, but the drama and the old drivers both seem to be stacking up.

The last thing also relates to the crash today. I have no data and have not heard any press report in-depth on this yet, but I wonder if safer cars and tracks are making drivers take more risks that is degrading the quality of racing and risking more serious accidents when they do occur. I think of how for years now doctors, reporters, and even coaches have been saying that modern American Football safety equipment has actually led players to develop dangerous behaviors. Using their head/helmet as a weapon when hitting another player, not wrapping up to tackle but instead relying on a hard hit, not keeping their eyes on their target but turning their heads or closing their eyes to prepare for the hit, etc… I love the safety improvements to Formula 1 and all auto racing over the years: HANS devices, improved crash barriers, survival cell cockpits, cockpit HALOs, improved helmet standards, virtual safety car, etc… But because the stewards are more unreliable than the US Supreme Court in delivering consistent and motivating decisions for on-track behavior drivers - and because of the issues I raised in the previous sections about the impact of getting passed on track and securing future driving contracts combined with known racing safety strides - I think drivers are more willing to play chicken with another car and hope that the other guy blinks first and if not, well then maybe he’ll take the worst of it and you’ll drive away or ultimately if you can’t have the position then neither of you will continue racing today.

The reputation of Forumula 1 is as the pinnacle of racing technology and the most qualified drivers which results in the most exciting and impressive racing anywhere. All of these issues are beginning to diminish this goal, in my eyes. As much as I can point out a handful of drivers and teams with the most blame, I think it is pervasive up and down the paddock and either encouraged or at least allowed to fester by FIA and F1’s organizers.

I think the crash at Silverstone and the crash at Monza were just a reflection of one of the closest fought championship battles in a long time. The same thing happened with Hamilton and Rosberg in 2016 at Barcelona.

It’s dumb, but I don’t see this as a negative, nor all the drama around it. 2021 is shaping up to be one of the all time great seasons in Formula 1! At least the best season in maybe 20 to 30 years! The FIA and the owners and the teams know they are on to a good thing here, and would be dumb to try and treat it as a negative.

And in regards to safety, I think it’s a good thing that we can watch the two top championship contenders give it everything, and us not be constantly fearing for their lives.

The accident yesterday was a freak occurrence where the Red Bull literally landed on Hamilton’s head! But now with the Halo, everyone could concentrate on the racing aspect of the accident, rather than the danger, or overly worrying if the driver was dead.

I see that as nothing but a good thing.

Still so dumb though. Come on, guys, you both know the other driver isn’t going to give you space! And you both know the other driver knows you know they won’t give you space!

And I agree that the cars are too wide. But that’s what the drivers wanted from the regulations last time they were changed. The cars got faster, sure, but the old tracks don’t have enough room. That was clear when Formula E races the full Monaco track this year.

1 Like

I assumed Zhou would be going to Renault/Alpine, but it looks like Alfa Romeo have snapped up a good deal here.

I’m super interested to see what happens at Alfa Romeo next year with Bottas too. Bottas is the first ex-Mercedes driver going to another team! Schumacher retired, Rosberg retired. Hamilton will also probably stay with Mercedes until he retires. But Bottas might be taking all kinds of interesting knowledge over to Alfa Romeo. He’ll probably be a fantastic teammate for Zhou too.

Last two races, and it all kicks off in a few hours. I’m more excited for the end of this season than any since 2008! Could be an epic race.

I am soooo done with Max. Apparently the rules of racing and the standards of race-craft do no apply to him. I also think F1/FIA has completely lost control of their drivers. The radio messages we are getting this season from the race director are just ridiculous.

We haven’t heard the race director radios before this season. Maybe they have always been bantering back and forth like this.

Meanwhile:

Last race… equal points at the top! Oh shit!

1 Like

They are level on points but Max is still leading the championship by number of wins which means if he pulls his typical bullshit in forcing Lewis to take avoiding action and Lewis doesn’t yield and they crash out then Max still wins the WDC. Or will there be the final and ultimate wingman move by Valtteri to somehow sacrifice himself to prevent that, possibly on the opening lap?

I called it. The FIA has been as logically consistent with enforcing the rules all season as the US Supreme Court and now the results of their sloppy officiating have taken a season with two extremely talented drivers and very closely matched cars from an exciting competition to a reality show with lots of unnecessary drama and a result nobody can be truly satisfied with.

I’m not saying from his season’s performance Max is undeserving of being champion, I’m saying there have been too many instances throughout the season where the FIA’s actions or lack of action have been out of line with the sporting regulations. The reason that rules in a game or competition exist is so the outcome is obvious to all who have observed the event(s). If there are some unclearly written rules, then those need to be addressed, but you can’t just decide per occasion which rules will be enforced and followed and have all accept the results.

Related topics: ‘democracy’ & ‘rule of law’ in the United States.

1 Like

Lol. I imagine Verstappen doesn’t care at this point, but really puts the lie to last season’s results.

It’s a combo news.

Of all the teams that have revealed their 2022 cars (7 out of 10 as of today), this is the first car that feels like they have really pushed what the 2022 regulations enable. There are many eye-catching design & aerodynamic choices that are worthy of note, the nose & the side pods most especially. No idea if these will be winning choices, but they feel like a bigger push than other teams so far. I wouldn’t be surprised to see further significant changes to Red Bull’s car though. Mercedes reveals tomorrow.

I’ve been most intrigued by Aston Martin so far, with the high front wing and zero rake design, but this new Ferrari idea takes More steps in a different direction.

One thing the new rules have got right for sure: none of the cars are ugly!

Yet.

2 Likes

Maybe that high front wing is just a proactive means of protecting Stroll from damaging too many of them as he learns to maneuver the new car around the track and with the taller tires which block his view causing him to cut across too many curbs :face_with_peeking_eye: :wink:

I jest. I hadn’t picked up on that detail but looking at it again I see what you are saying. When all the cars are revealed I’m sure someone will create a graphic and/or video showing them all lined up and comparing the key distinctions & similarities.

It’s time for my yearly F1 car review and ranking!

A render of a Haas car.

Livery: Out of all the cars, this feels like a copy/paste of last year’s car. A Russian flag on an American car still seems weird. But apart from the that, it’s okay I guess. 4/10.

Aero and shape: super high front wing arches. Swooping down side pods. But not a lot to get excited about. 5/10.

Conclusion: not much to say. 4/10

Aston Martin.

Livery: lighter green than last year, with a bright accent colour, should be way more distinctive. Last year I sometimes had trouble telling it apart from the dark blue Alpha Tauri and black Mercedes. 9/10.

New Aero and shape: Interesting high front wing, I like the square-off side pod intakes, the undercut side pods. Not sure about the gills down the side, but I’m sure they’ll grow on me. 7/10.

Conclusion: Looks like a snake. But in a good way. 8/10.

McLaren.

Livery: Sticking with orange is a strong move. The blue accents make it feel like a modern action movie poster. Black helps keep it all clean in between… but it feels quite toy-like to me. I guess they made single theme for their F1, Indy Car and Extreme E teams. 6/10.

New Aero and shape: Chunky wide side pods. A super wide back end that comes to a hard cutoff. I’m not overly enthused. 5/10.

Conclusion: It works. Certainly not ugly. 6/10.

AlphaTauri!

Livery: I like it when the team name is also the name of the biggest sponsor, and so it’s also the biggest words on the car. ALPHA TAURI. The two-colour and only-two-colour (except for the tiny italian flags) works great, and keeps it classy. 8/10

Aero and shape: Another unremarkable car, but it seems like even the least interesting cars aren’t ugly! 6/10

Conclusion: more interested in the drivers, I guess. 7/10.

Williams

Livery: dark blue, but very different blue than AlphaTauri, with thin highlights. Looks like a super hero costume of someone with ELECTRIC powers. 7/10

Aero and shaping: front wing which seems center-heavy. Weird shape side pod inlets. Squared-off top intake. Not a fan, though I’ve no idea if it’ll be fast or whatever. 3/10.

Conclusion: mixed bag. 5/10.

Ferrari

Livery: Last year I complained that Ferrari somehow managed to fuck up the easiest ever livery concept: paint the car red. This year they finally worked it out, and PAINTED THE CAR RED. But 100% red would have been overwhelming, so blacking out the front wing, floor, halo, and the like makes a perfect balance. Mostly white sponsors pop too, but don’t detract from the RED CAR. 10/10

Aero and shape: A flat front wing with a too-pointy nose? Who cares because that rear bodywork is crazy. Can’t wait to see if it works or if it falls flat. 9/10

Conclusion: a clear favourite 9.5/10.

Mercedes

Livery: I liked the messaging of an all-black car, but I’m also happy with a return to silver. The turquoise is fine. The red on top feels like an accent colour too much. 6/10

Aero and shape: did they just reuse the same back-end from last year? It looks very familiar. The new direction for 2022 is: nothing too different please! Weirdly the biggest team seems to have made the fewest changes from last year. It’ll probably be 2 seconds faster than any other car, but as for interestingness: 5/10

Conclusion: bumping up to 6/10 for being completely inoffensive.

The BWT team this year is a Renault. I mean an Alpine.

Livery: PINK is now more important than the French RacingBlue idea, so the blue is changed to match the PINK. Not bad colours, but all the different sponsor names in different places makes it a mess. 5/10

Aero and shape: nice front end. Downward swooping side pods. I like it. Fast? Who knows. 7/10.

Conclusion: 6/10

Red Bull.

Livery: Well done. You’ve painted the car like a Red Bull. Do you want a gold star? 6/10 just for consistency.

Aero and shape: The first car reveal was just for the livery, so we had to wait until testing to see the actual shape. Aston Martin and Ferrari were in the lead for “okay, show me more”, but then we get this:

What the hell is going on with this side pod intake? OMG it’s fu-ugly, but I’m intrigued. Is the underside going to create another kind of floor? Is this the double diffuser of 2022? I hope not, because so far all the cars have had very aesthetically pleasing shapes, and if this becomes the standardfor all the cars by next year I’m going to be UNHAPPY.

2/10 for looks but 9/10 for interestingness, so I’ll give it 5/10.

Conclusion: 6/10 I guess. I hope it grows on me because we’ll probably seeing a lot of Red Bull in 2022.

Alfa Romeo.

Livery: not yet.

Aero and shape: can’t see yet.

Conclusion: At least make your testing livery look nice, like previous years. ???/10.

Final rankings in order and in groups…

Top tier:
Ferrari
Aston Martin

Above average:
AlphaTauri

Mid pack:
Alpine
McLaren
Mercedes
Williams

Undecided but trending down:
Red Bull

Not even trying?
Haas

See me after class:
Alfa Romeo

All the cars irl:

3 Likes

That’s a fair amount of work to write out, well done. There are some aspects I’d love to hear you elaborate on and others worth just discussing.

Which reminds me of Rym and/or Scott saying once that originally they had an idea that Frontrow Crew might have a federation of podcasts, this makes me wonder if a weekly or monthly F1 podcast with not-Rym and Scott could be possible. Yes, there are many F1 podcasts out there, but one with the Geeknights/FRC style and orbit of interests…

I fully agree on that BWT. I love the colors, but the rest is meh.

It will be interesting to see if there is any noticeable effect with this being a major aero redesign and aerodynamic testing limits based on previous season finishing results. Specifically will the bottom teams (Haas, Williams, and Alfa Romeo) achieve an outsized aero gain compared to the rest of the field? Or is this something that will take many years of data and observation to say whether it is having the intended effect?

*Edit: I’m not expecting the bottom teams to suddenly spring up through the field, but are they less far back on aerodynamic development?

I don’t have much more interesting to say about the cars, to be honest. With the liveries, I have very strong opinions about what makes a good looking car, but in the end it’s just what your eye gets used to seeing a lot during races.

With the shape and aero changes, I only have many layers of very vague intuition which come down to “hmmm, that looks interesting” but then I have zero actual knowledge about why or what helps make a faster car.

I sometimes watch the “aerodynamicist’s breakdown” videos on YouTube, but they never actually help explain what’s going on, or why a team has made a decision.

They just say “this thing will create a vortex which will be helpful further down the car” but to ACTUALLY know you need the exact shape files plus a fricking super computer to do the aero calculations.

It’s like seeing someone talk about cosmology research from the pictures in a published paper, but without reading any of the explanation or seeing any of the data. “Galaxy formation probably has something to do with a vortex…” Cheers, very helpful.

Of course published research is all about sharing that knowledge so you don’t need your own super computer to reach the same results, but Formula 1 teams are trying to keep the techniques and data as secret as possible. The teams barely understand the aero themselves, so anyone on the outside is guessing at incomplete knowledge anyway.

Any conversation I might have on Formula 1 couldn’t be about the actual tech or the politics or the drivers, as I have nothing new to say. Maybe I could have a good discussion on the “meta”, as in a conversation about the media coverage, but that’s all getting circular.

Haas said their car livery wasn’t a Russian flag, because that would contravene rules against Russian flags in sport.

But today, their car looks like this. Hey, if it was never a Russian flag, why have you now blacked it out?

New rating: 7/10

It’s red, it’s white, it’s a red and white Alfa Romeo. And why not. Livery 6/10

Aero and shaping: Ferrari and Aston Martin both made the side pod vent slits look cool and interesting. Alfa Romeo seem to have drawn a square with the note “louvres go here” and then someone sawed some holes.

Look at this!!!

Compared to this:

Yuck.

3/10 for aero and shaping.

Conclusion: 4/10 as a final score, so isn’t troubling the top end of my ranking.