Computer advice thread ("What's the best way to do this?")

Yeah, I want to go with an IPS monitor. My existing monitors (an old 4:3 Dell Ultrasharp and the built-in monitor on an iMac) are IPS. However, I’m in the market for a new gaming rig and would like a new monitor for it and use my old UltraSharp as a second screen, which is what I’m doing now.

Anyone got recommendations on tools to make a first-time walkthrough for a website? Like,

• First click here to create a fleeb
  • Once you’ve created a fleeb, this screen lets you add schleem
  • If you need to remove a grumbo, click this button
  • Now you’re ready to go with your regular old plumbus

Don’t make those. Everyone hates them.

Ok, make what then? An interface so intuitive users immediately grok in full? I wish I had such mad UX skillz.

First work out or tell me what the purpose of the site is.

Then base everything upon that primary theme.
I prefer minimalism.
Look at websites you like to interface and work out why you enjoy it.
Find a site you hate and list all the things you hate about it.
Now apply it and then beta test it with somebody who’s trash at using digital interfaces and see what happens, the complaints and determine what is valid, update, repeat.

Go big or go home.

This is what my job is. :wink:

1 Like

Any reason to prefer VMware or VirtualBox on a Windows 10 host? VMware was so much faster the last time I tried them both, probably 4 years ago. Got a new comp, so figured it might be time to check again.

Last I checked VirtualBox only supported virtualizing 32bit OSs

1 Like

Well I’ll be damned. Turns out last I checked was late 2015 and I haven’t installed any virtual os’s since then.

Edit: Turns out that didn’t matter either, I’d just fallen victim to this and not noticed back in 2015

VirtualBox has supported 64-bit for a long time. I even got OSX running in it on a Windows host once.

1 Like

Yep, I was a dumb dumb and didn’t notice when my bios wasn’t configured to allow vbox to see that I was running a 64bit os. Assumed it was the world’s problem not mine.

I tried out VMware after using VirtualBox since it seemed a little less glitchy in the middle of last year. I was predominantly looking to do graphics OpenGL type programming within my Linux guest at the time and neither of the two would deliver for me on the laptop.

They seem to have similar functionality with VMware having a more modern looking UI. At that point I just installed Linux on my laptop as a dual boot and guess I didn’t follow through with the VMware trial as it was setup and working well on both my Windows 10 hosts that I develop on. (Although now I seem to just grabbing real Linux to develop on. VMware couldn’t display Chrome based applications such as Atom, Chrome and Chromium for some reason. I couldn’t hang around for a bug fix, I’m sure it’s fixed now.

I would be interested to see if it can handle a Gnome 3 environment as I currently only have Mate and Mint on my guests but prefer Gnome 3.

Virtualbox is also open software with a bigger (or at least more active) community if that makes any difference.

I ordered some more cheap heatsinks for my Raspberry Pi 3 and soon Orange Pi One the other day. Dumb question, but do you think there would be any added benefit to just stacking a couple on top of each other?

To close the loop on this, I finally setup that the Anker USB hub the @Apreche suggested and it is high quality and fixed my problem. Also now I have USB 3.0 plugs sitting on my desk instead of behind my computer, which will be nice if I ever need to plug in a USB 3.0 storage.

Gtx 1050 or 1050 ti? My pc is closing in on 10 years old and seeing as I’ve got literally hundreds of games on steam from various bundles I can’t currently play, it’s time for an upgrade. I’ve got a cheap but decent i5 rig coming next week and I need a card for it. The 1050 seems to be the new hotness for us poor people, but is the ti worth it? I haven’t kept up with pc hardware much so I don’t really know if I need the extra 2gb of ram in it and whatever else is better about it. Also apparently due to things that are disabled in the normal 1050 it actually has a slightly higher clockspeed than the ti?

Don’t bother with TI unless you’re doing compute heavy stuff like rendering video or 3d models. Spend a bit more and get a 1060 or 1070.

1 Like

I think that the 1050 and 1050 Ti are barely different. You most likely won’t notice any difference. I think maybe the Ti has more CUDA cores or a slightly faster clock speed? Although, I have seen some Ti cards with slower clocks than non-Ti cards.

Still, the 1050 is mad weak. Even if you are low on money, just use the integrated Intel card that is built into your CPU and motherboard. It’s not good, but you will be surprised at what it can do. You can play Overwatch and such, you just can’t crank the settings and get tons of extra frames.

While you use that integrated GPU, save up and get at least a 1060, if not 1070. Don’t worry about 1080. It could be overkill even if you can afford it.

The 1080 is at the upper end of what I even could want or need. If I didn’t plan to do a lot of VR, high-res monitors, and 4k video editing, I’d have the 1070 tops. Maybe even a 1060.

I definitely wouldn’t get less than an GTX 60-series. A 1060 is $50 more and is gonna be useful for real games longer.