BikeNights

Anyone have sport/biking sunglasses recommendations? Preferably ones that I can get in RX or with RX inserts.

My experience in this domain is largely combat sunglasses like wiley-X or ESS which I am looking at but there are so many sport focused brands to consider too and was trying whittle down on what I am looking at.

Any good recommendations for XL helmets? My 63.5 cm head seems to outclass most helmets folks recommend me and the few Iā€™ve found are less comfortable than Iā€™d prefer.

Youā€™re right. Most of the top recommended helmets max out size-wise at 63cm. Thatā€™s some bullshit.

That said, there do exist helmets that go bigger. The first one I was able to find is the Lazer Strada Kineticore that comes in an XL size of 61-64cm. It is available only in all black, and thatā€™s it. Sold out or unavailable in all other colors.

Itā€™s annoying that you will have limited selection, and will have trouble finding stock, but it exists.

1 Like
2 Likes

Okay I got my helmet (still need to do the initial ride), but hoping to finally test my ebike tomorrow night in the evening.

That said, anyone have any good riding gloves they would recommend?

Gloves are the hardest. Iā€™ve never found any that are significantly superior than other options. Just go to a bike shop and get whatever feels right. Donā€™t buy fancy overpriced ones from like Rapha or whatev, because that extra money wonā€™t actually get you any extra quality.

Maybe someday someone will make extremely high quality gloves worth paying extra for. Or maybe someone has, and I just havenā€™t found them despite searching every year.

1 Like

I havenā€™t used them myself, but Iā€™ve seen others with these kinds of handlebar mounted mittens that allow you to wear lighter weight gloves beneath them since they block most of the direct cold air and wind.

One example, I am not directly suggesting this brand:

Bar mitts only solve the problem of protecting your hands from the elements. They are almost exclusively used by delivery cyclists who are forced to ride in all conditions. Otherwise, youā€™ll only see them used by the weird old guy who rides slow around town, or the super adventurer who is biking up a mountain in the snow.

Even if the weather is super bad, and bar mitts make sense, that doesnā€™t mean you can go without gloves. If itā€™s really that cold and wet, a cyclist will still want gloves, and maybe even glove liners. Your hands canā€™t be on the bars all the time. You donā€™t want to take out sweaty hands into the frigid air with the wind of cycling blowing away the sweat and causing frostbite.

Even if you have bar mitts to solve the problems of insulation and precipitation, they do not eliminate the need for cycling gloves. The primary purposes of cycling gloves is to provide padding for hand comfort, and to avoid skin chafing. They also provide protection in the unfortunate event of a fall. They enable the cyclists to put their palms out against the ground to create friction and reduce damage to the rest of their body. Even on the hottest summer day, Iā€™ll wear cycling gloves if I ride any significant distance.

The thing is, every glove Iā€™ve had does the same serviceable job. Iā€™ve never found one to be more comfortable, more durable, or superior by any measure.

Iā€™ve largely stopped wearing gloves on long rides (70-100 miles). My last pair wore out, and I was lazy about replacing them, and then I just didnā€™t find I really needed them.

When itā€™s gold I wear gloves, but usually not bike gloves, since I really only bike in the cold when Iā€™m commuting.

Perfectly valid. Gloves are not a necessary item at all. I just wear them because if I donā€™t, my hands get all messed up. Iā€™m sure that doesnā€™t happen to everybody.

1 Like

The thing I am doing after this season is getting some horns on my bike like I used to have on my mountain bike. No brakes or anything on them. Theyā€™re nice for long rides, and I realized on our last century suddenly how much I missed having them.

I donā€™t worry about aero on these rides. We donā€™t bother drafting and I usually sit up straighter than a road biker would. I probably spend 20% of all my time on a long ride not touching the handlebars at all and just sitting fully upright.