BikeNights

From the product photo, the pad looks a little thin, which is my main complaint with the current set. Do those have good cushioning?

This adaptive mountain bike is mesmerizing. Most bikes for disabled riders have the two side-by-side wheels quite wide apart, which is good for stability but means they can only be ridden on wide bike park style tracks, not normal trails. This one has the front wheels only as wide as the pedals, so theoretically can ride even narrow trails.

But really, the star of the show is the dual front fork mount, and how it moves when rolling over roots and rocks.

2 Likes

I feel this is the only spot where I can put this

I donā€™t do centuries every weekend, so this is pretty good for me.

4 Likes

Really incredible if real.

1 minute 26 seconds of omg style.

3 Likes

I would never even attempt to do that, as awesome as it is. Instead, Iā€™ll just stick to Lonely Mountains: Downhill. This game is soooo so good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPqQ4xLXdKc

I think you misunderstood the video if you think ā€œthatā€ is anything anyone else would ever ā€œattempt to doā€. :slight_smile:

The video game looks fun! However, as a mountain biker and mountain bike trail builder, Iā€™m kinda horrified that it promotes cutting corners, riding off trails, and braiding lines. :frowning:

1 Like

The way they landed the trick jumps where they layed the bike sidewise with the front wheel straight while the bike was still twisted reminds me of slow motion cat videos, where the cats always land on their feet.

2 Likes

Those are the kinds of trails I like to ride most when I do ride.

But I take them much slower, and I donā€™t style at all along the way.

1 Like
4 Likes

I can ride about 160km (100 miles) in 8 hours, and thatā€™s with rest stops, taking breaks, not trying to go fast, and all sorts of road conditions. At the end of that Iā€™m usually kind of done and probably canā€™t go too much longer.

This person rode on a closed circuit non-stop for 24 hours. WTF.

They must drink lactic acid to stay hydrated.

When I do long runs, I donā€™t stop at any point unless Iā€™m stopped by a traffic light (which is only a problem in the first couple miles before I get to Randallā€™s Island). I eat and drink while running. So two hours of constantly running at a sub-8-minute-mile pace on a serious one.

Biking I like to do the same thing on long single-day rides. Our last Century, we literally only got out of the saddles once to eat at a picnic table around the 55 mile mark. Not going super fast, but not taking it slow either.

I bet I could do a whole century without leaving the saddle except once to quickly pee. (I ainā€™t doing what it takes to not have to do that).

But 24 hours? God damn. 24 hours pushing hard? -dies-

In other news, the record least distance biked in an hour. Less than 1 kph!

Lol thereā€™s video:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=TKO3PGv2yTI&feature=youtu.be

Dang. I wish the article talked more about the requirements. Are you allowed to use a fixie and just stand still? I assume not because I know people who can definitely track stand for an hour. Do your legs have to always be moving? Can you use a tiny tiny gear in the front with an enormous one in the back?

Even so, this is still amazing. Even I have a hard time balancing if my speed is too low.

^ Looks like regular racing road bikes. I imagine youā€™re ā€œnot allowedā€ to go backwards, but I do see them slide back an inch every so often.

That video is basically unwatchable because they keep cutting to some kind of GoPro aiming up at the riderā€™s face. Nobody wants to see that! Stick with the whole body shot the whole time, and donā€™t cut away, so I can actually see WTF is going on. Also, stop switching between riders. Show a split screen or make two videos.

Going backwards has to count towards the total distance traveled, otherwise the whole concept is broken. You could just go backwards as fast as possible to get the record since your distance would be negative.

It is interesting they just have to use a regular road bike. That definitely makes things more difficult. A fixie would be way easier. The bank of the velodrome also helps as you can see them using a technique of turning their wheel up the bank and then back down.

Iā€™m curious why they didnā€™t attempt to hop around. That has to be illegal also I guess? Otherwise you could just hop in place for an hour.

From my watch of the video (skipped around to take the whole thing in, didnā€™t watch the hour+ entirely) and rusty Italian comprehension, it didnā€™t seem to me to be an overly rigorous event. It seemed like they were explaining the rules as the they started riding and would remind them when they were doing something they werenā€™t supposed to as they progressed but it seemed more of a ā€œlets make a seemingly rigorous (but not super strict) event but try and focus on the entertainment value of a boring challengeā€. Iā€™m curious which records body recognizes the achievement and what the official rules are supposed to be. I thought I understood the commentators saying that their wheels had to keep moving and they sorta couldnā€™t go backwards, but as you noticed they did repeatedly. Also, no brakes were supposed to be used but the guy was using his leg/ankle as resistance on the rear wheel and I never caught any ruling on whether that was explicitly allowed or they had no idea so let him just do it.