Advent of Code

I made it less far than last year. I might get help from the Reddit to do a few more, though.

I made a chart of the rate of successful submissions to AoC over the years and compared 2021 submissions to the historical averages. I read many people on the AoC subreddit say which day the puzzles “always get more challenging” on (with a wide range of days offered). Here is the data. Day 1 Part 1 is the 100% mark and all parts are compared to that level.

[old graph removed due to faulty data analysis. Corrected graph posted below]

1 Like

The part 2 data seems nuts. Only a ~tenth of people that bothered with part 1 on a given day are successful on the second half?

1 Like

Makes perfect sense to me. Regardless of day, part 1 is almost always significantly less effort than part 2. Just based on how much time it takes, I expect a lot of people to simply not have time for part 2 even if they could solve it.

Additionally, part 1 almost always intentionally allows for a half-baked solution that absolutely will not work on part 2. People who did part 1 an easy way are going to boost the numbers on part 1 completion. However, those people who didn’t build a flexible implementation for part 1 are much less likely to even try part 2 because it means they are going to have to refactor their part 1 first.

Actually, I just realized a stupid mistake I made in parsing the stats from the website for part 1 vs both part completion. Standby for a corrected graph. The part 2 values are WAY too low as @Starfox said.

Shows what I know.

Here is the corrected graph of Advent of Code completion rates. There is not such a gap between part 1 only completions and both parts completions thanks to the realization that the numbers posted on the AoC stats page are not totals for each part but rather the number of successful submissions for both parts and the number of submissions for part 1 only.

2 Likes

I guess that means most people who put in the effort to finish part 1 finish part 2 also.

2022 is underway!

First few days were easy peasy, as expected. I have to catch up on a couple days due to PAX and illness.
Seems like most are discussing it on Discord instead of here.