Zelda: BotW and Zelda in general

each of the 4 hero weapons would have it’s base component sitting somewhere in the the village, and ten you could grab the diamond from the zora campaign

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKiORPfvMx4

I mean, I eventually used what I had and beat the game, so I get it. But I don’t enjoy that mechanic. I don’t enjoy the constant cycle of finding and then losing items. I would like to feel like some of my accomplishments remain.

The point of that mechanic isn’t to make the game challenging. It’s to force you to keep using different weapons. Otherwise you get a situation like in old Zelda games where you just use the best weapon forever and the game gets same-y when you fight every enemy the same way. So while you might be annoyed when your weapon breaks, it’s actually enhancing the fun in ways you don’t notice by mixing things up.

1 Like

I understand this, I just didn’t enjoy the prospect of losing cool weapons after I earned them. It actually plays in to some very specific aspects of what I find fun about games. Often times, when I play an RPG where your character’s equipment is visible, I want to spend as much of the game wearing matching weapons/armor as possible. So little things like not being able to play the whole game with a consistent aesthetic in my equipment as it breaks did frustrate me.

I’m not saying the entire system is bad, just that having no alternative (besides the Master Sword) to weapon degradation got tiring by the time I was ready to beat the game.

I like the early game feeling of trying to get the right gear to survive and the distinct murderhobo style from doing so.

2 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes
2 Likes

Finally beat Breath of the Wild. 240 hours according to Play Activity (I’m not sure if that includes another profile that doesn’t have a linked account). All shrines (had to look up the last five), all but three armor sets maxed out, all inventory upgrades except the last two or three shield slots, no quests left pending (not sure I found all the quests, though).

Not sure I’ll get the DLC, but I’m definitely going to take a break first.

2 Likes

Genuinely curious, but was it an enjoyable experience tracking down and completing every shrine? It’s interesting to me how different people approach BotW, I beat it at probably around a quarter of your time because i only hit 80-ish shrines.

The shrines are kind of repetitive after a while but they’re still enjoyable to get through, because of the journey involved.

Even filling the compendium, upgrading armour and side quests.

Some side quests can be a bit grindy, I wish there was less of that. Otherwise, do everything.

I like the puzzle aspect! If there wasn’t a Sheikah Sensor then I probably would have gotten bored finding them. Early, you’d get decent equipment, and there was always a chest and sometimes hidden chests.

I did a lot of sneaking into areas I shouldn’t have been, very early on, and the shrines were a fantastic way to save my “progress”, getting to or from the reaches on my whim.

I wish the Sheikah Sensor had better UX for finding creatures. You can spend so long following pings and not see where they are. Also the sensor goes silent when you can be right next to them but facing the wrong direction.

When it’s acting weird, a lot of my Sensoring is running in a circle. The tricky ones are when the target is above or below you.

Less than 300 Korok seeds left. I’m starting to use maps in some areas, but still able to find most with the Korok mask.

I really wish the DLC for Hero’s Path would let you put parameters on when you were in a certain area so I can keep better track of things.

Also trying to get the medals for killing Hinoxes and Talluses. These fuckers know how to hide.

Taking down a Silver Lynel though, holy shit.

XD

That is exactly how I approached the game early on. I got to some scary areas without any hearts or good weapons or anything. One wrong move and I got one-shotted.

1 Like

Wait Zelda isn’t a stealth game? That’s how I’ve been playing it all this weekend :-p