Queers invade the White CisHet Male safe space

Someone once pulled the mansplaining card on me. I tried to be polite and let them have that point, but they were wrong about whatever it was and remain wrong. The card-puller was the kind of person that if you agreed with their opinion you were smart and great, but if you thought they were wrong there was always going to be some kind of cognitive cop out to explain why you’re wrong no-matter how much evidence you presented.

If I’m condescending I’m condescending. That’s it’s own thing.

And mansplainging might fairly be used to describe certain men that do absolutely treat women differently in this regard.

And honestly I tend to constantly preface my opinions and statements with context for exactly how certain or uncertain of something I am and explain how I come to my conclusions. I tend to be pretty precise about this because I’m used to arguing in places like… this.

I’m an asshole and that has nothing to do with sexism.

It could well be the case that your intent does not involve sexist reasoning.

Your actions and the perception thereof, however, are absolutely impacted by sexism, and that’s the part that actually matters.

We’re all part of a society, and as such our ideas and beliefs do not exist in a vacuum. “No man is an island” and all that jazz.

Intent matters to some extent, but once you put your thoughts out there, you have surrendered some amount of authorship to the greater discussion.

This is the flaw that I see in a lot of people who make “both sides” arguments, or who wade into a controversial topic with platitudes of neutrality. It doesn’t matter if your intent is neutral if your contribution to the topic can be spun to one side or another. You input on the topic results in some reaction one way or another depending on the audience, and you as the primary author are responsible for what gets sent out in the first place.

It’s like the difference between murder and manslaughter. One is worse than the other, but both are bad because at the end of the day your actions led to someone else’s death.

In order to combat this, you have to take control of your contribution before it leaves your face. You try to do that with providing context for an opinion - a good start - but there’s probably more you can do to actively counter the appearance of sexist intent through language.

Like.

I actually ask people if they want an explanation. And if they say “no,” I move on with my life. Took a long time to get there, but it works.

There are other ways, but the point is that you can say “I’m not sexist” all day long and it won’t matter. If you enter into the fray, toss out some words, and they hit someone in a sexist way, you bear responsibility for that. All of it? We can debate that. But if you’re gonna toss ideas out there, you are responsible for aiming them as tightly as you can and learning from your misses.

7 Likes

s/mansplaining/being that guy/g

Same problem. Same protestations. Same discussion.

2 Likes

Obviously some less than others. I try to minimize my total number of interactions because it’s better for my own personal well-being.

Could have said the same thing if I asked for universal/single-payer health care many decades ago.

1 Like

Some might still say the same thing now. And somehow Trump got elected.

Something something reality being stranger than fiction…

Thanks for the opinions… Those pretty much fall in line with my own views, so I’m somewhat relieved. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Are there trans*/genderqueer forums of any quality? Negative experiences with the trans community was one of the reasons I was in the closet for so long but now I feel like I need an outlet.

3 Likes

I have many trans friends who have basically told me that there really aren’t any good overall forums, but I guess I would recommend having like a private FB account to friend them with and talk to them? Be open about stuff and ask questions. That’s what a lot of them do and it seems to be the outlet they need.

3 Likes

I have no experience with forums, my main outlet is finding cool queer people on twitter and befriending them. I find it easier to insulate yourself from people you dislike that way because you can be selective on who you follow and block people you don’t want to see.

3 Likes

Sadly, I really haven’t found much community here, other than support groups or the occasional coworker/colleague

2 Likes

I’ll second this. Most queer/Trans folk I know tend to avoid forums, because they don’t control their experience. All those that have tried have stories of folks getting hurt and big knock-down drag-out fights, due to some rando rocking up and making wild claims and accusations, sometimes with good intentions, sometimes just trying to mess with people or communities for one reason or another. I’ll bet there’s fantastic forums free of these problems out there - but nobody I know has heard of them.

Twitter, you’re in control, like Boomer says, you get to say who follows, who you see, who you don’t see, and who sees/doesn’t see you - which can be a very valuable thing for these matters. Plus, a huge amount of the community is on twitter in one way or another, which certainly helps discoverability when it comes to finding people you like and/or trust.

Maybe there isn’t specific online trans communities. But are the not ones for the queer community as a whole?

There is /r/trans

I cannot speak to how useful or helpful it is, haven’t done more than poke my head in.

How do I start finding cool queer people on Twitter?

I find myself alien from the general queer community for a variety of reasons I don’t really wanna get into.

I’d just check out popular queer people and do the twitter recommendations from there, that’s the whole point of discovering people to follow.

1 Like

There are a bunch of cool trans/queer/genderfluid people here

just saying

7 Likes

I made a separate Twitter for this stuff and she’s following a few of you.

2 Likes

Best cishet thread ever.

11 Likes