What TV Shows Are You Watching?

What the hell? Expanse got cancelled. This current season has been so good too.

However, it was expensive to make and reportedly had lower ratings than other shows like The Magicians and Krypton, and, perhaps most importantly, Syfy only had the rights to its first-run live airings. That meant the network did not benefit from digital sales or streaming which can be a sizeable share for sci-fi shows.

Shows on netflix that may shake up your list:

1. Sense8
  2. Dark
2 Likes

Hopefully the Expanse gets picked up by another channel.

More and more though, it seems like these types of shows just canā€™t survive on a ā€œnormalā€ channel and need to be on a ā€œprestigeā€ channel like HBO, Showtime, FX, etc in order to survive.

Iā€™m liking the Cobra Kai thing for light background stuff in between mech things.

Black Lightning is surprisingly good. Like really surprisingly good. I donā€™t think I lasted through more than two or three seasons of Arrow before stopping, and I never did bother to see the season finale of the first season of The Flash, but Black Lightning is a better show than both of those.

The combination of having complex characters, a good supporting cast, and an interesting setting and backstory make Black Lightning the best superhero show on TV right now (with the exception of Legion and the Netflix/Hulu shows). I honestly never thought Iā€™d be typing that sentence.

2 Likes

Coming soon to Amazon Prime: The Adventures of Young Aragornā€¦ (maybe):

ā€œAmazon reportedly spent quite a chunk of change on securing the rights to make a Lord of the Rings seriesā€”try $250 millionā€”but if new rumors about the plot are to be believed, that money wonā€™t go to waste. Fan site TheOneRing.net tweeted Wednesday that it has confirmed with ā€œmultiple sourcesā€ that at least the first season of the prequel series will focus on Aragorn, which is a great choice on Amazonā€™s part.ā€

DreamWorks is making a new She-Ra series for Netflix. The poster looks pretty sweet.

3 Likes

Itā€™s worth nothing this vs headlining with Netflix

2 Likes

Interestingā€¦ I wonder how it will compare to the early 2000ā€™s He-Man reboot on Cartoon Network, which from what I recall was rather good (especially compared to the original 80ā€™s version).

Looking back at the 80ā€™s He-Man (and She-Ra, for that matter), about all I can say about them was that the [still] character designs and [still] background art were relatively good for the era, but other than that, they really had not much else going for them.

The Expanse, looks like itā€™s officially NOT DEAD after a massive campaign from diehard Beltalowda and Dusters and Screaming Firehawks around the world:

2 Likes

Well, when it comes to TV shows Iā€™m not watching:

ABC was probably waiting for any excuse to jettison that toxic IP.

Why did they get it in the first place?

1 Like

Maybe John Goodman just needed some day work?

From what I gather:

She was relatively well-behaved in public when the show was being put together. Itā€™s a well-known IP that fits well into both the current political climate and the nostalgia-mining aims of the networks.

The show is shockingly popular, mostly among older people who still watch TV.

Fast forward a bit, and she lets on how crazy and dangerous she is in public.

I bet she ends up on either FOX News or Infowars within a couple months. Lower odds on FOX trying to buy the show. Itā€™s red hot poison culturally: meaning a perfect fit for FOX.

I donā€™t know about that. Iā€™m glad theyā€™re doing it, but Iā€™m surprised they cancelled the show. I just expected her to get a slight slap on the wrist and perform the usual Twitter Mea Culpa.

The Roseanne show was the number one rated show in the Nielsen ratings and averaged 19 MILLION viewers per episode. Thatā€™s a lot of money that ABC is throwing away.

Most of the statements ABC made can be summed up as:

ā€œThis was the right thing to do.ā€

Multiple show staff had already quit over the latest racist thing she did on twitter. But it wasnā€™t the first racist thing she did even in recent memory. It was just the straw that broke the camelā€™s back.

Their brand is worth more to them than the show. The show has been toxic to the brand for a while now. They were already facing the prospect of advertiser boycotts. While I havenā€™t seen a demographic breakdown of who was actually watching the show, Iā€™d bet top dollar itā€™s primarily:

• Older
  • White
  • Conservative
  • Rural/Suburban

Itā€™s also worth noting that the show lost about half its viewers from the first episode of the revival season to the lastā€¦

Iā€™m not sure if Infowars will pick it up, as Iā€™m not sure they can provide the cash that production company behind the show (which is independent of her) would want.

Fox is somewhat more likely on the money front, but Disney, ABCā€™s parent, is also bidding against Comcast for ownership of Fox and apparently is the preferred buyer. I doubt Fox would pick up the show while the bidding is taking place if theyā€™re honestly interested in Disney buying them. If Fox gets bought by someone other than Disney

Oh, I think theyā€™ll try to pick HER up, not the show. :wink:

Oh, that is certainly a possibility then.