What movie have you seen recently?

There are multiple versions of the song on the Godzilla OST and multiple versions on the Evangelion OST. Personally I do like the Evangelion one with the strong horn section the best, but the Godzilla one with the heavy metal guitar track is a close second.

Saw Wet Hot American Summer over the weekend on Netflix. As a kid growing up in the 1980s and 1990s going to summer camp in the Adirondacks, this movie was a nostalgia ride back to my younger days.

I KNEW that kid that refused to take a shower the entire summer and the counselors had to physically force him to wash himself. I REMEMBER the strange Vietnam veteran who worked in the mess hall, saying crazy stuff while he served food. While I was too young to really know what was going on behind the scenes with the counselors, I remember the drama and soap opera BS of them hooking up and breaking up, dating and cheating on each other. I canā€™t believe my parents trusted a bunch of strange 19 year olds to watch over me for 8 weeks.

2 Likes

I remembered wanting to watch Windtalkers as a kid but never got around to it. Itā€™s a very strange film because they were clearly trying to emulate Saving Private Ryan but its directed by John Woo who brings his signature campy Hong Kong action style. Itā€™s also fundamentally not an action story because the subject of Navajo Codetalkers should be a spy intelligence thriller, not a grand set piece blockbuster. We donā€™t even see how the code gets developed or pitched to the US intelligence services.

Instead its Nic Cage being bored for most of the movie and Adam Beach (the Native American lead) being unable to act out of a paper bag. Adam Beach maybe the worst actor Iā€™ve ever seen in a blockbuster, Heā€™s either smiling for no reason or scowling in an attempt to show human emotion.

I am curious to a write up as to what makes you call not only shit but also boring and bad technically. Only saw a couple of nitpicks in terms of day/night timing.

First half was shaky, second half is absolutely sublime and makes the whole thing worth it. Itā€™s on the bottom half of my Top 10 Films for 2016. The movie plays out as a classic throwback Hollywood musical about bickering, talented youth then metamorphism into a real movie about sacrificing dreams for stability.

I watched High and Low last night. I enjoyed it but it feltā€¦ long. I checked. It is long. Itā€™s just 7 minutes short of being two and a half hours.

That is my only criticism.

Itā€™s a masterpiece. Itā€™s Akira Kurosawa. That is all that need be said.

We walked out before the second half began, so anything good about that end of the movie Iā€™ll just have to take your word on.

Sigh.

Post must be 15 characters.

Grave of the fireflies continues to be one of the saddest films ever made. Especially hard to watch consideringā€¦

If I had to pick just one word to describe La-La Land, it would definitely be ā€œMasturbatory.ā€ If I got two, the other would be ā€œAstoundingly.ā€

More like ā€œWhite man is Jazz Purest Fanboyā€ who then realizes he canā€™t save Jazz by being a douchebag. John Legend comes into the move and talks sense into him for his major arc; Iā€™m really not sure why some articles say that this movie is a white power fantasy. Itā€™s only frustrating in terms of how nostalgic it is at first and how Emma Stone absolutely outshines Ryan Gosling. The dance shown in the poster is surprisingly the weakest scene in the movie.

Damien Chazelle definitely has hang-ups about Jazz looking at this movie and Whiplash. I just think this movie is gonna get a lot of hell because of Oscar/critically acclaim blowback that happens every year with movies like The Artist, Argo, and Birdman.

Walking into this thread its like seeing just a pile of mush where Ryan Gosling used to be and just Luke and the rest of you worn out and tired and holding nasty spikey bats and just, man-alive that is a big fuckinā€™ pile 'o blood there. Someone might even be just half-heartedly tapping their iron pipe on the ground letting out a wet-sloppy splat. Itā€™s just gruesome.

Iā€™m not even complaining or disagreeing, just surprised the level of un-good people feel on it.

If you want to hear something nice about it - Much like another Ryan Gosling movie, Drive, in a purely technical sense, itā€™s an incredibly well shot and well scored movie. Itā€™s just the movie that lets down all that technical brilliance.

First half of Drive: thinking it would be the best movie of the year and maybe in the top 5 movies Iā€™ve seen ever.

Second half of Drive: fuck this movie.

First half of La La Land: fuck this movie.

Second half of La La Land: didnā€™t see it.

1 Like

I found the article was heavily focused on simply the nostalgia of the movie without really looking into the plot or character motivation. I would agree the movie would be a ā€œGreat White Hopeā€ narrative if the plot was about saving jazz, but it isnā€™t. The story makes it crystal clear that although love Sebasian and Mia have for these old art forms is admirable; it is not sustainable without some sort of compromise. John Legendā€™s character is never a villain or an adversary he ends up being completely right about how to succeed in an age where Jazz is forgotten because people are dying out.

La La Land is about the love story with these two people and how their lives are affected by the way they view their passions over their trust for one another. As I reiterate, the second half of the film is critically to breaking the traditions of the movie being another Golden Age Hollywood homage. Not to mention the article neglects the diversity shown during the dances, backgrounds, and settings of the film and an interracial marriage that is a thread throughout the movie.

I offer this video by Satchel Drake as a counter-arguement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23E1YGzeK-c

Hidden Figures was pretty good. It does the usual biopic thing of condensing like a decade of stuff involving 50 people into 2 years and half a dozen characters but thatā€™s to be expected. Itā€™s also a little soft on the racism in a lot of ways, which is also understandable to keep it PG.

As a whole itā€™s pretty accurate as far as I can tell. If you have interest in it I would suggest also looking up some interviews with Katherine Johnson because sheā€™s awesome.

1 Like

Hidden Figures is good. Very clear crowd-pleasing movie and good acting. Yet, there are a fair amount of inaccuracies of what really happened to the three women that affect the plot. The movie is good-natured and very inspiring, but some moments are undoubtedly cornball. (A few cringey quotes as well) A better movie about a real life historical subject is the movie Loving with Joel Edgerton and Ruth Negga.

Iā€™m very iffy about Fences, but Iā€™m definitely in the minority there. Aside from the stellar acting, itā€™s far too stagey to the point where you rarely explore the setting and plot points just get dropped at your feet. The people I know who connected and loved the film the most are those who have a relatives like Denzel Washington or Viola Davis in the movie.

Hereā€™s how Iā€™d rate the Best Of Oscar Movies So Far: Hell or High Water > La La Land > Moonlight > Manchester by the Sea > Hidden Figures > Arrival > Fences > Lion. (Havenā€™t seen Hacksaw Ridge but Iā€™m not expecting it to be great)

I lovely person on twitter informed me that song of the sea was on amazon prime video and that I could just watch it any time I liked.

Iā€™m not sure why this movie had such an effect on me. One that secret of Kells didnā€™t. Maybe it was the music, but either way it elicited such an emotional response. Itā€™s a thing of beauty.

The Brotherā€™s Grimsby
Also released as -
Grimsby

While this is a comedy film that takes the piss out of Hollywood action films while also making social commentary and having a laugh at British town life, all the action portions blow recent Bourne and James Bond films out of the water.

Hilariously easy to relate to if youā€™ve lived in any British town. I also spent some time living in Grimsby itself and some lower socioeconomic towns in other counties of the country. The type of people portrayed are indeed a subsection of the population.

Primarily a great commentary on how shit action films are while being hilarious for slap stick and low brow humour at the superficial level. Beyond the surface there is a secondary level of humour to enjoy which is easy to reach for the audience.

My favourite Sacha Baron Cohen film is still The Dictator however this is one of the more refined characters that Cohen has been able to assemble.

You will also enjoy this humour if youā€™ve watched or do actively watch any soccer / football or are aware of the culture surrounding the sport.

Bonus - Trump gets aids in this film.

Watched the 1946 French version of Beauty and the Beast. Itā€™s definitely an interesting trip.The beast not having a major character arc and instead being the consistent depiction of a lion noble forces the struggle and conflict of Belle to be a more internal one. The acting feels more like a stage play in how the actors try to exaggerate their motions, such as Belleā€™s discomfort or the Beastā€™s skulking. Best part are the actors portraying the living furnishings, haunted mansions are my jam.

The film is quality melodrama with a little Deus Ex thrown in, which was the style at the time, to tell a fine fairy tale.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aUKrOMrtPk

1 Like

John Wick: Chapter 2 was pretty much the perfect mindless action movie. The cinematography and the action sequences were amazing, and I just love the world theyā€™ve created.

1 Like