What book are you reading now/have finished?

I just finished Three Body Problem. Do you read much non-English literature? I haven’t.

As I was reading, I found myself wondering how much subtext I was missing. Like if an American novel starts talking about the adventures of Ripley Deckard in Gothamville, I would be thinking the library gave me the wrong book or something. But in Chinese (translated to English), I have no idea.

1 Like

I’m currently reading Uncle Tom’s Cabin as a classic I’ve planned to read for a while. English is a second language to me and while I think I have a certain degree of mastery of it (which I guess happens when more than 80 percent of the text you read and language you hear in a day is in english) I’m actually having a difficult time just getting through the text alone. This is because a lot of the characters speak in a heavy southern accent which is written down almost phonetically, so I have to basically speak it in my head while I read it instead of what my brain usually does: recognize a word on a page and understand its meaning.

I guess for the same reason it took me a while to understand that the name “Phoebe” was pronounced “fee-bee” when I read Catcher in the Rye. At least now I also understand why my local bookshop at first had a tough time to figure out which version to order as there are a lot of edited versions for beginning readers and usage in english classes.

The book is of course good so far, but it is also really horrifying to see what was going on in the south, which polite society at the time either actually didn’t know or more likely just turned a blind eye to what chattel slavery was doing to people. It is a tough read in that sense too.

there is a whole lot going on in that book about the Cultural Revolution that I know went right past me. Maybe it plays into the main plot in ways I didn’t understand, but really it just dragged down the whole first part of the book.

Listening to Time Is Tight by Booker T Jones in part because I should write an article reviewing it for my column and in part because it’s read by Jones.

Just finished reading Oryx and Crake the other day. I enjoyed it overall, but I’m not interested in reading the next few books.

Just started reading Senlin Ascends by Josiah Bancroft which has been pretty interesting so far.

1 Like

All you need to know about Transgender History by Susan Stryker is the first 1/4 of it is a glossary and the actual book starts in the late 19th century. Not recommended for anyone who is trans or a historian, this is a book for casuals and The Cis.

Casuals? 15 cha

I mean the sort of person who reads Zinn’s A People’s History and McCullough’s 1776 but has never heard of folks like Eric Foner or Ron Chernow. Definitely not for academics.

I’d call myself a casual in this regard. Like… When Debs was in prison, he had some books in his cell and visitors commented on how all he had was non fiction and theory. He wasn’t a casual.

If I was in prison, sure there’d be some theory in there but there’d also be novels.

I am casual, Debs was not.

I’m not gonna say you’re not a casual, but I will say that you’re not casual enough for this book in particular.

Then I’ll give it a read after I finish The Power Broker and Understanding Marxism.

My simple secret is I’m basically always reading two books at once. One is always pleasure and the other is basically always theory.

I was lent Gideon the Ninth by one of my convention staffers, it’s very readable.

I am 65% through Pages of Pain, I might be ready to talk about it in book club by Memorial Day. :-/

My next book is Money and Government by Robert Skidelsky and I’m enjoying it so far.

Obelisk Gate is not as good as The Fifth Season. There’s something less about it, the characters or story, that changes between the two and makes Obelisk Gate not as enjoyable to read.

I started and then dropped Stone Sky halfway through. This story is not interesting anymore; a shame because I like how Jemisin writes, and I will definitely keep an eye on her for future works.

For a change of pace, I started A Problem From Hell: America and the Age of Genocide by Samantha Power.

I finished my 26th book for the year a week ago, Abbadon’s Gate (3rd in the Expanse series). I enjoyed it and the Expanse gets better, and more crazy, as the books go on. I know it’s hard scifi but there are things in there that are … less so.

I read the first books to The Black Company and Malazan Book of the Fallen this year too. I was hoping that they’d really grab me into some crazy epic journey. They were both cool but I’m not sure I am really feeling them.

The Malazan book actually had me looking stuff up on wikis though, at some point some I was having a hard time figuring out what was going on for the back ground of the world, and since I was listening to it and not reading it there were no appendixes or maps to look at. I feel that’s probably something that isn’t as helpful for audio books vs dead tree ones.

1 Like

Iirc the books does that on purpose to make you feel lost, which is part of the reason why I haven’t bothered with Malazan.

I figured I must have picked up the wrong Malazan book first.

Prince of Nothing seems to have spoilt the fantasy genre for me. I’ve been trying the Court of Broken Knives by Anna Smith Spark but I’m just not enjoying it.

What is lirc?

I’ve very much enjoyed the first three Malazan books, but I’m in no hurry to continue. It’s such a big commitment to jump in to a new one, knowing that it’s not a direct continuation of the previous book in terms of either time or characters.

There’s a lot more more manageable or approachable fantasy out there.

IIRC generally stands for “If I remember correctly.”

Mr. Period needs to come in and ban badly formatted abbreviations, acronyms and initialisms.

1 Like