War on Cars

“Production” car
https://youtube.com/watch?v=N22JfNHiC1k

The tires chirp at the gearshift around 106mph.

The only time I’ve been involved with using SUVs to their potential is when we had a team of paintballers flying to a remote event and had some 14 or so guys rent two Escalades (or similar, I don’t recall exactly, but they were bigguns), loaded up with about 30 guns and full kit plus our staging supplies. And then we had to trek off into some dirt+gravel roads a while to get into where this event was happening. Those things rocked for that job. And so yes, it’s particularly niche. Then again another player who came wanted to do his own thing and rented a Charger so he could roll through the California coast in style with the top down and that managed to make it to the field so, go figure.

The previous year for that event we had like 9 guys and rented 1 large transit van and that also worked pretty well, but it was pretty hairy where we had to go rent it from. The first one we were given keys for, couldn’t get it out of the lot, barely moved. So we had to take half the seats out of that and move them into another van that worked, but was pretty trashed inside and only had the first row of passenger seats and it looked as if they had tried to hose the whole thing out after the last use.

It worked but we decided against that method going forward, which is why we transitioned to the SUV approach as you can get those directly from the San Diego Airport rent-a-car lot.

I mean, honestly, that doesn’t suprise me, I’ve seen more than a few mid-90s hatchbacks and sedans that have long since become farm cars and paddock bashers making it through conditions you’d swear would bog or stop a normal sedan. The trick, at least for a paddock-basher, is just be brave and never lift.

Honestly, it’s not the worst method - and hey, at least you’re renting. If you were buying, I’d still say you were mad, but at least rentals you finish the job, and put it back, tool for a purpose.

It’s pretty quick, but not the quickest production car you’ll find on the road - A rental.

I would never fault someone who keyed that car any time they saw it.

It’s the one time I’d break my “Don’t fuck with someone else’s car” rule. That thing is a fucking monstrosity, it’s a rolling affront to good taste and good sense.

Halloween far and away the number one day for cars to kill pedestrians, especially children.

2 Likes

Apparently mistakes were made.

Ban cars.

1 Like

Can’t have road rage if we ban cars.

1 Like

I mean yes ban cars, etc etc, my positions on this subject are well known.

I’m really kinda sad I didn’t get to see a car drive through a bakery. Only the before and then the after.

Places around London have recently taken advantage of the lockdown to install LTNs, in my area included.

The result has been drastic. The roads are so quiet now. Fuck if I remember life before this. It’s so peaceful. It’s actually easier to fall asleep without trains of vehicles driving past. Not to mention heavy vehicles causing small quakes as they pass.

I notice more cyclists passing now too. Buses and emergency vehicles still operate just fine.

Also PedalMe seems to be doing really well.

https://twitter.com/pedalmeapp

2 Likes
3 Likes

I feel rather the same way about owning, say, six 1500 dollar Gucci or Prada handbags, which would mark you as a bougie spending money on displays of conspicuous wealth, but owning six $1200 rifles with another grand and change of overpriced rail clutter on them is seen as just being good old working class boys who like hunting, and we should reach across the aisle to them.

3 Likes

The bags are honestly more useful. Even a professional hunter isn’t hunting that frequently. Most people carry things in bags most days of their lives.

Well, I’ll forgive an actual professional hunter on frequency, because that’s a tool of the trade regardless. But I absolutely agree on weekenders and other non-professionals. Hell, why do you even need six rifles to hunt with? Is there some significant difference between AR number one, and AR number three?

(Also hunting with an AR, barring some edge cases, is pretty weaksauce anyway.)

Our LTN spanned 2-3 miles along the Newcastle coastline and was great! Taking up all the southbound traffic it made the place much quieter for all involved with the cars going northbound losing around 10mph due to having less space and seeing bikes everywhere.

All past-tense as it’s sadly been removed.

It’s shit; walkers can’t talk, there’s no space in sections and I never realised before how bad the surface was for cycling. This is meant to be the NCR 1 (National Cycle Route) for the UK but is a stain on our council as far as I’m concerned.

My current plan is to ride somewhat aggressively and ring bells loudly to get pedestrians onside as Facebook posts tell me car drivers will never change.

It’s honestly depressing and we’re looking at how to change where we live but Brexit’s fucked that up a bit too.

EDIT; happy for you though - I needed to rant. We had similar on our high street also for a while.

Harriman State Park has a some great hiking and bike climbs. We’re spending a day hiking up there nearly every weekend.

The roads within it are all through valleys and surrounded by tall ridges, which heavily amplify and reflect road noise. This isn’t that bad: there is not a lot of traffic through the mountain and once you get out hiking it’s distant and un-noticeable.

Except for the motorcycles.

In the afternoon every weekend day, the descend on the mountain and roar around in packs with extremely loud pipes. It’s shockingly loud, and they just cruise through the park in loops for hours.