Video Game Hype Thread

I thought Absolver was an arena brawler tyle game where it was only online. But apparently you can turn online off atogether and is more Journey-esque in its online to begin with. Quite a bit different than what I originally thought that game was.

1 Like

Absolver seems more like For Honor than anything else.

Yet another port of Street Fighter 2, this time on the…Super Nintendo?

WARNING: Use of this reproduction game cartridge (the “Product”) on the SNES gaming hardware may cause the SNES console to overheat or catch fire. The SNES hardware is deemed a vintage collectible, so please exercise extreme caution when using the Product and make sure there is fire extinguishment equipment nearby. Use of the Product is at the sole risk of the user. The Product is sold “as is”. Neither iam8bit, Inc. nor Capcom Co, Ltd. make any representation or warranty, express or implied, of any kind, including any warranty of merchantability of fitness for a particular use, or that the Product is safe to use, and iam8bit, Inc. or Capcom Co, Ltd. shall have no liability for damage to property or persons arising from use of the Product. Nintendo of America is in no way associated with the release of this Product.

1 Like

The release date for Heat Signature was just announced. I personally am like… super hype.

Sep 21, just a few days.

As to what this is. Basically you’re a 2d top down dude with a space ship, you fly around space and there are other space ships. You can get on these ships and attempt to steal them. They have security though, be careful.

Also if you approach wrong they’ll try and shoot ya down.

I just really like the idea of trying to steal ships as a literal space pirate.

I’m down for Space Monaco.

Hey this was out of nowhere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHTCnDycWYg

Psychonauts is $0 on GoG as well if you don’t have it already. No reason to not get it for free, because it’s questionable if it’s worth paying any more than that.

Psychonauts is, at best, a generic 3D 3rd person platforming action game. Why there is so much praise and hype for this crap after so long, I will never understand. When movies are cult classics, you can usually see why their unique charm gives them a small but very dedicated base of lasting fans. Not with Psychonauts. It came a decade after Mario 64, and it pales in comparison. Hell, it’s at least two tiers below DK 64. Also, it’s ugly as sin.

I thought the writing was charming but I didn’t play much of it because it was just sort of bland gameplay-wise.

Watch it on YouTube.

Psychonauts came out some time after the generic 3D 3rd person platforming had gone out of fashion. It’s a solid game in a genre that had been mostly forgotten in the previous console generation.

I could also mention something about fun characters and story and imaginary levels, but that’s deep in realm of opinions anyways.

Oh man, don’t come in here with bad opinions about 3d platform action games.

This is maybe the worst take in the history of 3d platformers. I can accept “Psychonauts is just ok” (it’s got mad decent adventure game / platformer hybrid level and mechanism designs, but I can accept ‘ok’) but two tiers below Donkey Kong 64? Donkey Kong 64 is sooooo boooooring. And buggy. Like, distressingly buggy.

Donkey Kong 64 is no one’s favorite game. Star Fox Adventures is better than DK64 and Star Fox Adventures blows.

Bibliography: just watched Anthony replay Psychonauts last month, watched youtuber playing a significant chunk of DK64 earlier this year. Played enough DK64 in 1999 and Psychonauts in 2006 to know better.

Edit: honestly, the three best games in this genre are Super Mario 64, Banjo-Kazooie, and Psychonauts. Those are all recommended above Super Mario Sunshine (which would probably be my next one down) and Super Mario Galaxy is a much different game, not a collect-a-thon (although it is excellent). Mario Odyssey might end up in those top 3 and push Psychonauts out?

2 Likes

4 Likes

That list doesn’t have a single classic Spyro game, thus I find it very lacking.

3 Likes

You guys are confusing 3D platformers with collectathons. As for the DK 64 claim I can say that game put me off from ever 100% a game ever again (fucking barrels of mini-game hell). Here is a good run down of the tiers of the genres.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFHibPYXIA4

1 Like

The difference is that Psychonauts’ levels aren’t open environments with multiple objectives/golden doodads to collect in each. You collect a lot of crap in the game, but very little of it is necessary to progress.

1 Like

Psychonauts has distinctive aesthetics that people remember the game for. People credit the writing and art style. The platforming from what I know is fun until it spikes at the Meat Circus.

Those are not mutually exclusive genres. One could claim that collectathon is subgenre of 3D platformers (like that video seems to do), but it doesn’t’ remove the fact that they are also 3D platformers.

Psychonauts is funny, and almost every level was memorable. That’s pretty much it.

2 Likes