Video Game Hype Thread

He said during the press conference you can play the game entirely solo.

If you can play it solo, then why make it online only?
Iā€™m getting EA SimCity vibes from this new Fallout game. I expect it would only be a matter of time before someone hacks it to make it offline.

2 Likes

When they said solo, they meant you can go online and play without forming a team of friends. You are still playing on a server where the only other people are real people.

1 Like

Is there anything that suggests you canā€™t set privacy parameters? There may be and I havenā€™t seen them, but currently I canā€™t say one way or the other.

Good question, but thatā€™s how The Division worked.

Yep. Online, with drop-in-drop-out co-op anywhere in the world, plus optional PVP and PVE group play. To be honest, I was actually kind of stunned at how well it worked in Division - they fucked up a lot of things in that game, but the always online multiplayer stuff was seamless and well built. Well, technically well built, the darkzone was a great idea poorly executed and full of heavily-armed murderhobos in fuzzy bobblehats, raids were not that good, and they kept ignoring any extension of the cliffhanger story end to just cram in more mostly unwanted PVP modes in a PVE-focused game.

I still remember fondly when the game was not long out, and Nelson took me on a walking(and shooting) tour of mini-new york, it was quite lovely.

Also, Yakuza 0 is $20 USD, thatā€™s pretty bloody good.

(Edit - well, $17.99 but fuck it close enough. Uh, I also kinda already bought it.)

2 Likes

8-player Killer Queen Black on Switch. This will be happening.

2 Likes

Iā€™m really worried about the Switch multiplayer. Almost every time Iā€™ve tried to have multiple switches involved in any game, the failure rate is too high to actually playā€¦

Iā€™ve not yet tried to do any mutliple-Switch local gaming. Nintendo local wireless being wonky sounds quite plausible, though.

Killer Queen Black is gonna be 8 joycons on one Switch, on my 60" TV, so I think Iā€™ll be just fine.

I also havenā€™t had any issues with Nintendo online multiplayer in a long time. I recall a recent episode (Just Shaped & Beats?) where you guys railed against Nintendoā€™s online play. In most cases, it just works. The last time I had horrid issues was when Smash 4 came out. Splatoon and Mario Kart 8 worked flawlessly on Wii U. Splatoon 2 has given me zero trouble on Switch, and I played a little Just Shaped & Beats with rando matchmaking last night, and it worked just fine. The only other time Iā€™ve played a Switch game online was during an Arms demo weekend, and that also worked perfectly well.

This has been our experience, as well.

1 Like

I was going to say it worked for me also, but I played S&B on PC.

I picked up all of them I could when I went home a few months ago (0, Kiwami 1, and 5), and theyā€™re stupid fun. Iā€™m waiting for Yakuza 6 to come down in price a bit before I buy it. Iā€™dā€™ve bought the Japanese only games on PSN already, especially the Sakamoto Ryoma spinoff, but I canā€™t for the life of me understand angry yakuza Japanese, which is a lot of the dialogue.

Not to pull a Scott, but itā€™s always worked fine for me.

Watching an interview Iā€™m seeing where youā€™re right about this, but on the flipside he also mentioned that eventually they will have private servers for it. Regardless, if youā€™re not playing online, from what Iā€™ve heard this still doesnā€™t sound like a Fallout single-player game, or at least it wouldnā€™t be the type of experience people would want out of a single player game. I imagine if they did indeed make it completely solo it would be a pretty lukewarm experience. But it depends what you come to [the Bethesda] Fallout games for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSAvzeopPC8

1 Like

This is kind of related, and with E3 just behind us, I was curious about something:

If you could pick one game to either get a sequel, a remake, etc., what would it be?

Iā€™m kind of torn between a modern remade version of Vagrant Story, a proper Homeworld 3, and what I call a LMORPG, a limited multiplayer online roleplaying game. Instead of something like Destiny or an actual MMORPG like WoW or Final Fantasy, what I want is basically multiplayer Mass Effect. Ostensibly, a single-player RPG that I can play with my friends.

I donā€™t want every character I encounter to be another human and I donā€™t want to play an online MMORPG where Iā€™m on some level treadmill where the story doesnā€™t progress and decisions have no consequences, I want a distinct multiplayer experience that has a finite ending that I can play with my friends, kind of like Divinity Original Sin, but maybe a bit more story-focused.

The video game industry has already given us remakes of everything. Everything you could want, they have made more of. The only thing that they have slept on isā€¦

ADVANCE WARS

1 Like

To use your own (hopefully) tongue-in-cheek logic, couldnā€™t you say that there have been tons of remakes or at least spiritual successors to Advance Wars?

Isnā€™t Fire Emblem basically just Advance Wars but fantasy themed? Isnā€™t X-Com basically just a more robust and in-depth Advance Wars? Isnā€™t BattleTech? Into the Breach? Iā€™m sure I could think of more examples. Basically any tactical or SRPG is a more advanced Advance Wars.

No, Fire Emblem is not advance wars because units die permanently. You donā€™t manufacture new units in battle. Characters level up like an RPG. There is grinding. You can level up so much that the tactics donā€™t even matter so much. Combat is rock/paper/scissors. There is no resource management game.

X-Com isnā€™t advance wars. You donā€™t manufacture new units. In Advance Wars you take your entire turn, then opponent takes their entire turn. X-Com the individual characters have initiative. The characters also level up and such, so there is a little grinding, but not like Fire Emblem.

Battletech on the PC is very very close to X-COM.

Into the Breach has some of the puzzle elements of Advance Wars, but not the resource management aspects.

Warbits is Advance Wars. Tiny Metal is Advance Wars. They just arenā€™t as polished and great as the actual Advance Wars.

Iā€™m thinking a Turn-Based Strategy Wargame utilizing Armored/Mechcanized units would be closer to what Scott wants.

Fire Emblem and X-Com is infantry-based. BattleTech and Into the Breach are limited to how many units you have available.

You have the Super Robot War Series, but it may be too Sci-Fi to fill the niche.