Video Game Hype Thread

I like things to be complete before I start them.

If I’m starting a new book series, I wait until the series is finished before I start it.

If I’m starting a new comic series, I wait until the series is finished before I start it.

If I’m watching a TV series, I wait until the whole season is out before I watch it.

Why should videogames be any different?

Additionally, by the time the GOTY edition comes out, it’s usually optimized and has bug fixes and patches that weren’t available when the original version came out.

It’s already “complete” when the DLC comes out.

A lot of DLC takes place concurrently to the main game, instead of just being an expansion after the main game’s story is over.

I would rather encounter the DLC content organically on my initial playthrough than have to go back and play through the game a second time to enjoy the DLC.

1 Like

I would disagree that that is the common practice. And DLC is usually shoehorned in with most cases in a way I wouldn’t expect you to organically happen upon it.

I honestly don’t care what the common practice is, and I doubt you really know what it is anyway. You’re just making a general assumption to fit your opinion.

But anyway, when I was playing through Mass Effect 3 (with DLC) I honestly had no idea what was the “main game” content and what was the DLC until afterwards when I was talking about the game with a friend and an entire section of the plot that I had loved, he had never experienced because it was all DLC.

Uhh well since we’re talking about Fallout from above correct me if I’m wrong but most of the DLC within Fallout 3 requires you to move into a different section of the map that is not “organic” or comes after the main story. Fallout 4 similarly has you travel to a completely separate section to experience it’s story DLC and they only pieces that are integrated into the main game are the extra buildings which doesn’t have any bearing on the story to begin with.

I can say this is the case with many Ubisoft open world games and I can probably find more examples if you want me to hammer home my point.

I can’t comment on the Fallout games, since I’ve never played them, but your statement seems pretty universal to me. In none of your comments about GOTY editions do you specify that you’re talking specifically about Fallout. They’re all blanket statements.

Well, you asked, so I’m correcting you - Wasteland workshop has no story, and Far Harbor is entirely off-map. Of the other two, Automatron slots neatly into the story - albeit briefly - and Nuka World mostly takes place off-map, but the end section requires you to shuttle back and forth between Nuka World and the main map, and interacts with the main map in a few different ways, as well as potentially locking you out of one of the main game endings.

Correct me if I’m wrong but doesn’t one of those, wasteland workshop I believe, have a quest line involving building your own vault which takes place on the normal map?

Well, since you asked - Nope, that’s Vault-Tec Workshop, the third workshop add-on. Which I admittedly kinda forgot about because it’s literally just “Build this thing. Now build this thing. Now you know how to build things” style workshop tutorial like they did at the start of the base game. Wasteland workshop and Contraptions workshop didn’t have any story, and just added items and interactions.

I’ll use a few more examples then. Dishonored has content that is a tangential story that references the goings on of the main game but is a separate story. GTA IV has two separate stories that have not much to do with the main game which can be 20-30 hours. Forza Horizon games has you travel to a separate areas. Both Dragon Age’s DLCs either had you travel to a separate map or came after the game ended (IIRC). A recent GOTY edition game I bought, Burnout Paradise, similarly has a separate map and gimmicky way-too-powerful cars added to the game (which I would assume are meant for people who have already beat the main game to mess around with).

The general trend I see, which is why I said I disagreed and was using blanket statements, is that most of these DLCs are end game content or recommended to play after the main game. But even in the situations where it’s not, and you can play some or all of the DLC at any point in the game I’m making the argument that there is probably a LOT of game that you might skip over in an attempt to finish said game. So unless you’re a completionist I’m arguing that DLC is not necessary for some of these grand story games to still get 40+ hours out of. And when you say you want a complete experience I read that as you being a completionist, because you’re effectively saying you have to have and experience EVERYTHING. Even if that’s true, I don’t think most people are like that.

I hadn’t considered GOTY versions of fighting games since I was thinking purely in terms of story based games. But I would agree for those games that waiting for the GOTY version is a better option unless you’re really into the game.

But I am completionist, somewhat at least, not in any super obsessive way, but I tend to go for as many quests and doing as much as possible. And even if I don’t do everything, having more options is generally better than having less.

Also for fighting games and stuff that aren’t focused on single player experience, I think opposite, there playing the game near launch when the playerbase is at it’s biggest is preferable.

Yeah, I suppose it depends how you play them. If you just play locally with friends and family then maybe you want all the characters but if you’re online makes sense to get in while the gettin’s good.

Speaking personally though I have such a massive backlog of games if I buy a story game I rarely feel an incentive to play the DLC. Once I’m done with a game I’m done for good. And most DLC I feel is just passing out the game. Even some DLCs like Horizons I want to play but I have a hard time going back to them when I have dozens of other games I should spend more time with.

That’s why I get the GOTY edition. If you get that, the distinction between the original game and DLC becomes meaningless. It’s ALL the game. Horizon Zero Dawn is the perfect example of that.

1 Like

https://youtu.be/CgBF6OSqbgU

I’ve done this with Fallout new Vegas and Fallout 4, I waited for the GOTY version to come out and a steam discount sale (I do it for other games too mostly the triple AAA) Just a few months ago I finished Witcher 2, and I’m working on Witcher 3 right now, which I also bought while on sale as a GOTG edition. Part of it is I don’t like playing buggy games that are not finished.

2 Likes

Been playing Detroit: Become Human , I’m not the biggest fan of quantic dream games but this one’s pretty great. The overall game graphics ( e.g. subsurface scattering ) has makde the game very easy on the eye.

Some part of the plot maybe tad bit melodramatic for my taste though. It’s definitely a fun game to play with a friend or your significant other.

1 Like

It’s too late though. As much as I want it in theory, I no longer have room for it in my life.

Looks like 2018 is the year for Tetris.

Inline is available on Steam now.

And Tetris Effect is coming to the PS4 in the Fall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr8fVT_Ds4Q

The only Tetris I need