UK Political Clusterfuck 2017

1 Like

The EU has struck a trade deal with Northern Ireland.

1 Like
2 Likes
2 Likes

Today is the election day. We will get a labour government and the Conservatives will suffer the largest loss for more than 100 years.

It is unlikely but possible that the Conservatives will be reduced to 3rd place. If this happens the Liberal Democrat party will become the official opposition and will control the conversation. I really hope this happens.

2 Likes

We’ll see. I genuinely hope you’re right, and as long as people actually go out and vote you should be. The amount of “this is a foregone conclusion” that has been bandied about for the last month or so combined with voter apathy that Labour appear to have done little to help combat could make it all closer than we’d like.

But I’ll be cautiously optimistic, here’s to the Tories getting the pasting they soundly deserve. I’ve brought my passport in to work so I can go and vote on the way home.

2 Likes

They’ve appointed this guy as Minister of State for Prisons, Parole and Probation. What is this witchcraft?!? It’s gonna take some getting used to if they keep appointing people to positions they have experience with/might actually be good at.

2 Likes

Not only that, they appointed independent scientist Patrick Valance as science minister and independent expert of international law Richard Hermer as attorney general. Amazing! Roles like this have always gone to party MPs who try to justify whatever the government wants to do.

The vote share was really low for such a landslide but in terms of “You play to win the game!” mentality the labour vote was incredibly efficient. It targeted the right areas with just enough vote-share to come first. It’s like they managed to sacrifice the big wins for lots of far smaller ones. This also aligns with voters tactically choosing Lib Dem and Green candidates in areas where cooperation was needed to oust the Tories.

They say that parties that do well under first past the post never have an incentive to change it (to Proportional Representation for example) but in labours case here, they played the FPTP game really well and if they changed it they would play the PR game instead. When Corbyn was in charge he lost because he played for general vote-share when that’s not game that decides the power.

Starmer’s 1st speech was really good and I think he was subtly saying that he’ll make lives better to combat populism. Tory policies like austerity made lives worse and opened the door to populism. I think they thought they’d be the winners of the populist vote when they started it but it backfired spectacularly.

4 Likes

It kind of feels like the Tories did more to win this election for Labour than Labour did if I’m honest, and upsettingly a very large chunk of the votes they lost swung even further right to Reform.

Still however they got there I do agree that Starmer is off to a really solid start, hopefully they can demonstrate (to the voting public in general) that they should be kept around over the next 5 years before we go through all this nonsense again. The right wing voters won’t keep fighting amongst themselves forever.

2 Likes