Things of Your Day

1960s cartoon cheese is the best cheese.

This channel has more of it.

God damn I loved that game as a kid. Too bad it doesn’t age well at all.

Daniel Floyd is leaving Extra Credits.

He’ll be missed.

For I moment I had a mental break because I thought I was in the “Celebrity Deaths” thread and only read “Daniel Floyd of Extra Credits. He’ll be missed.” Thankfully it’s not quite as severe as that, though I am not sure how the shows are going to continue without him. His pitched-up voice is their second calling card after the art style, and he was also moving quite a bit of things behind the scenes.

Fun facts related to that video - Malaka roughly means “Wanker” in Greek.

I need more info. I know almost nothing about anchors except that they make the boat not move. How and why did this happen?

It just popped up on my YouTube, I know no more than you.

The brake (rubber pads) for the motor overheated, failed, caught fire. So no way to slow the anchor.

If I remember correctly.

You’re close. There’s no motor for letting it out, only for hauling it back in - it drops under it’s own weight. At 54s, they took the screw brake on the windlass off too far, which allowed it to build enough momentum(not hard with a chain where each link is a few hundred pounds) to overwhelm the braking force they had on, which led to the brakes getting either worn down or glazed real fast. You can see they started to get a handle on it at 1:27, but with the heat and wear/glazing on the brakes, they had no more left to give even at full power, it tore up the rest of the pads, and started essentially running free, blew the end-link, and adios anchor, then someone calls him a wanker.

And definitely not rubber pads for the brake, they tend to be asbestos in those kinds of brakes. Rubber can’t take the stress and heat in that application.

Ok, so what the fuck does the boat do now?

Jokes aside - fucked if I know. Likely they were not that far out from port, but honestly, I don’t have enough information to come to any firm conclusion. If they weren’t far out from port, they could return to dock, and get a replacement. They might be carrying a spare, in which case, they’d load the spare on, and either continue, or return to the nearest port for replacement and repairs(if needed).

But I can tell you, they’re on the hook for retrieving the lost anchor, and a new anchor and chain would be about 200k worth of cash. It’s an expensive mistake to make.

Is it even possible to retrieve the lost one if it’s at the bottom of the very deep ocean?