Things of Your Day

A US Department of Defence official guide to detecting Agile Bullshit.

2 Likes

Someone did this so that I don’t have to.

2 Likes

I very much wanted to watch this and hear what it had to say, but I can’t seem to bring myself to wade through 30+ minutes of plodding, pseudo-academic drivel in order to collect and assemble the scattered shreds his actual thesis.

Is the problem in me, or is this video essay far too slow paced for its own good?

The relaxed pace is very much intentional, particularly in contrast to other internet content like the common video listicle. I believe it is trying to bridge the gap of providing information in both audio and accompanying video while allowing the viewer to process it and not overwhelm them. Rhystic Studies is most well known for analyzing artwork used on Magic cards, with episodes explaining the common elements and techniques certain artists employ and trying to explain them to an audience whose initial understanding doesn’t go much further than “oh pretty picture” (and I very much include myself here).

As for “pseudo-academic”, the guy who made this video has a Ph.D. in Italian Studies. While one can disagree how valuable such a degree is, I do believe that it makes him academically qualified to talk about the usage of mafia tropes in modern entertainment.

I found the video very thought provoking in how it frames such tropes, disconnected from the sources of real life violence and with little critical analysis. I very much enjoyed Streets of New Capenna as a Magic set, but the video also gave me some new perspective on it.

2 Likes
1 Like

This sounds absolutely bonkers. It’s too bad all of her Chinese Wikipedia entries have been deleted. I would have loved to read them:

You can see the full history of a Wikipedia page by clicking the history link on a Wikipedia page.

1 Like

“Most of Zhemao’s hundreds upon hundreds of fake entries have been deleted from Wikipedia—and so we are denied a chance to read the one, true, Great Internet Novel.”

Also, they’re written in Chinese, which I can’t read.

1 Like

Maybe the first fantasy novel map, The Sundering Flood (1898):

4 Likes

https://twitter.com/Rainmaker1973/status/1545025691481161732

2 Likes

Geoguessr, blindfold mode:

Dude is like a one-man Bellingcat. From this NYT article:

1 Like
2 Likes

I feel that even the page turning could be automated, otherwise this is great.

3 Likes
2 Likes

It’s funny to see people jump all surprised, but I’m not a fan of noise making. In the NYC bike community there is a contingent of people who insist that they have to have some kind of whistle, horn, or other loud device “for safety”. These are the same people who would honk a car horn in traffic. These are people that feel it is OK to terrorize, or even hit, other people for the crime of forcing them to alter their course or slow down.

Honking and noise making is supposed to be used for some emergency surprise situation where you have no escape options, but danger could be avoided if the other person is made aware of the situation. The most basic example is changing lanes on the highway. Someone is about to side-swipe you by changing lanes, and isn’t aware of your presence. You also have no room to move to dodge them. Honking is good here as once they are aware of your presence, they go back to their lane to avoid a crash, and there’s really no other option.

If I’m biking and someone is walking in the bike lane in front of me, what do I do? I slow the fuck down. I’ll even stop if necessary. I’ll go around them. I won’t make a comment or a noise. Are they wrong for being there? Yes, technically they should be on the sidewalk. But does that mean it’s ok for me to make a bunch of noise and be a shit to them? No. It’s not their fault they are in the bike lane. They are there because the design of the road is shitty, and it favors cars. The cars are the problem, not this person walking in the bike lane.

Just slow the fuck down, go around, and peacefully co-exist. If you want to bike fast without having to stop, go to a velodrome a trail, or some other kind of closed course.

1 Like