Things of Your Day

I’ll admit, I closed the comic after five panels because it was so full of itself. I only reread it because Luke said George Washington was in it (I’m not a huge fan, but he’s an interesting dude). The source cited says he bought the teeth from slaves, who presumably lost them for natural wear. This seems to me to be no revelation in his heinous crimes as a slaveholder, but as a revelation that he was the tooth fairy.

All you need to know about George Washington.

Yeah the Oatmeal gives me that feeling a lot. I unsubscribed when he did that extremely long “running is the only acceptable form of exercise” comic.

Wait, are we talking about the same Oatmeal/Matthew Inman who, when criticized about the fact his Tesla comic was 99% absurd fiction, copied one of the articles pointing it out to his site and added a bunch of petulant, pedantic, and indignant hand-written annotations to try and weasel out of any criticism? And who, after his comic about how athiest extremists don’t exist was criticized, made a comic basically in the classic “moron opponent versus smart le rational athiest” style?

Yeah that one <is it 15 characters now? is it? IS IT?>

EDIT: I re-read that Tesla retort, and holy shit it’s clear which of them is a journalist and which is a man-child with a web comic.

The new camera suite in Elite dangerous has led to some next-level screwing around:

I didn’t have an emotional reaction to the new facts either, beyond mild curiosity. However, I did have an emotional reaction when I learned that human trafficking and sex slavery was exponentially higher in areas where prostitution is legal as opposed places where prostitution is illegal. I had often read that legalized prostitution was a tool to combat these heinous industries, so the counter-intuitive and contradictory nature of the new information combined with my existing belief left me incredulous. It took almost double the amount of research on the subject than I would normally perform before I begrudgingly reordered my thinking on the issue, and it took some time to be fully comfortable with it.

The phenomena described in the comic is extremely common and incredibly dangerous. The comic is not important or interesting due to the example facts, which may or may not resonate, but because the reaction is so common and observable and the phenomena is such a problematic one for our species and the comic gives a succinct and inoffensive method for communicating said problem. We see the ills caused by this unwillingness to take in new information that challenge core beliefs, and we in the US at least do far too little to combat it. The comic is a sugar coated pill for the masses to treat a heinous human behavior that keeps so many willfully ignorant.

None of this is new information to almost anyone on the forum, but I know many outside of this forum who could really use this information but won’t read through scholarly texts or articles, but a short, digestible comic might get them thinking. Moreover, we genuinely need to find methods for teachers to overcome this reaction at an early age to combat intellectual entrenchment and confirmation bias. Comics like this could be great teaching tools when utilized in a curriculum to develop critical thinking skills at a young age.

I agree with all of that - I just think it’s funny that it comes from someone who so publicly embodied the exact thing that he’s trying to encourage against. And kinda continues to, in an odd way - it’s not like he’s reverted on or taken down his petulant responses to criticism.

I read The Oatmeal when someone sends me a particularly good comic, but that is it. I know almost nothing of the creator other than that he runs and might have a dog. What you posted above was all new information to me.

[quote=“Kate_Monster, post:453, topic:36, full:true”]
I read The Oatmeal when someone sends me a particularly good comic, but that is it. I know almost nothing of the creator other than that he runs and might have a dog.
[/quote]I used to, but got bored of it pretty fast - it’s 99% just the same shouted-non-sequiter-naughty-word psuedo-joke, and the remaining 1% is bland infographic-style comics about things that are popular right now.

The only reason I know about the Tesla thing is because it comes up semi-regularly on Reddit during Tesla wank-fests, since most of Reddit’s knowlege about Tesla and Edison comes from that comic.

I only really know three other things about him: that he makes his comics with a combination of Adobe Fireworks(for reasons I can’t discern) and illustrator, and that he’s allegedly a serial plagiarist, and that pretty much every other comic artist I’ve met(and many I haven’t) absolutely fucking hates the dude and refuses to work with him.

Don’t know why but this tickled me something nasty.

Jesus christ he’s got the weirdest looking head, it’s like a high school art project.

“[W]inning the next election begins with learning the difference between an imperfect friend and a deadly enemy.”

I dunno we were lower middle class growing up and didn’t have steaks more than once in a year or 2 years but my parents could and still can do wonders with lesser cuts of meat.

Honestly I’d rather have a lamb biryani that’s makes use of the less sought after cuts of meat from the neck than just have a steak. The latter is all completely based on the quality of the cut and is more an enjoyment of texture while the former does the same thing for less money, you get more food and a far more complex taste. However that’s likely how I was brought up, I don’t think I could relate to most people in my perspective considering bother parents are formally trained in cooking.

He is called Brock Lobster for a reason

Lamb of any sort was pricey in the US in the 80s.

We were desperately poor. If my mother didn’t work in the accounting office of a major dairy producer and nights at a supermarket, both of which gave her major employee discounts, we would have starved. There were times when she lived on yogurt, which was practically free from the dairy, and she saved the “real” food for me. She worked one full time job, two part time jobs, and beyond soups and breads, she was/is not a great cook. Honestly, whatever protein was on sale, she bought to get the most of her employee discount at the supermarket. Skilled cooks + two parent family + lower middle class =/= simple cook + one parent family + desperate poverty.