Things of Your Day

This thread

1 Like

Personally, or just in general?

3 Likes

I feel like when Churba holds two items for too long they either spontaneously combine into some sort of flying vehicle or explosive device. Maybe both.

Dude get his hands on a new in box IBM 286 PC and sets it up, and in the second video he upgrades it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLy_jEbuY-U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyL_a9QE8ag

1 Like

LGR has tons of good stuff for those of us old timers (and those who are interested on how we old timers did things) who grew up back in the day.

I love LGR for that. Honestly I credit the fact that my dad encouraged me to learn dos as a kid to be a lot of why I actually understand computers now.

1 Like

I basically missed all of that era of PCs. The first computers I ever interacted with was probably a Macintosh Classic II in the school computer lab at my first elementary school. In my second elementary school they still had Apple IIe’s in pretty much every classroom. We did some stuff with them, mostly Muncher games and Oregon Trail, but by 5th grade they were replaced with Power Macs, which was also the first PC we had at home. The first Windows PC we had was a Pentium 3 with Windows 98.

My first PC, which I think we got back in 1988, was an 8MHz 8088 clone with CGA graphics, dual 360K floppies, 512K RAM, and no hard drive (or real place to install one, actually). I actually still have it in my basement, although I’m not sure what I’m going to do with it. I used that for everything until I got a new computer when I went off to college in 1994. I still have fond, of a sort, memories of the crap I used to do to get that system to do things it really wasn’t meant to do.

My first PC was a 486, so…

1 Like

Get off my lawn, you whipper-snapper!

I did my first home computing on this:

Or something very similar.

1 Like

The specs on that are very similar to my own first system:

epson-apex-ap1001a-8088-cpu-ms-dos-ap1001-ibm-pc-computer-vintage-12dff3daa6380ef8c4e5bee28c79db

Our first computer was a generic 286 - My father was teaching CAD/CAM machining TAFE on the side at the time, and he bought one so that he could make CAD files and grade student’s work at home.

Fun facts, before that, he’d come home with literal cardboard boxes full of punch-strip rolls. To this day, he can sight-read G-code from a punch-strip. I learned how to use them, but I never really got the knack of it.

2 Likes

That is fucking wild mate. I’ve glanced at a few gcode files, looked at all the 3d coordinates and noped

Update on the recent Banksy story.

Well, looks like Banksy has competition:

1 Like

It’s nuts. I can work with raw G-code, but I fucking hate it, it’s a pain in the ass. Given a set of drafting tools, he can literally draw out the final result by reading the tape and following the tool paths.
When he was younger, he saw the writing on the wall right as people started using actual computers rather than Cams(no relation to CAM), tracer control, and other direct mechanical proto-CNC control methods, and made sure he was on the forefront of modern CAD/CAM pretty much from the year dot, and stayed there for 30+ years.

1 Like

As far as in concerned your dad is a legend. He had a finger on the pulse. At the time he must have seemed crazy, then time proved him right.

1 Like