Things of Your Day

I never thought I’d see the day where my totd would be something someone is selling, but this is too cool not to mention.

1 Like

Authors are listed in order of degree of belief in the central thesis

Well I know what I’m doing on my publications from now on.

2 Likes

Here’s their TikTok account.

2 Likes
1 Like

Ever heard of the Moomins?

They’ll soon be in the, what are you watching thread.

1 Like

So some of you may know I am working on a project to archive old convention footage into one area so that we can watch it and remember. At this point I am going through some old YouTube rabbit holes and getting a backlog established before starting phase two of this project. In the meantime…

Watch as I am teaching myself some DaVinci Resolve by talking Rym’s oldest 4 part video and making it into one chunk.

1 Like

Nice!

God that is an ancient video. Back when we could upload 10 minutes at a time. Our early panels are similarly split up.

1 Like
1 Like
1 Like

Wow, that video, ostensibly a critical examination of a well-known movie, does an efficient job walking through a whole host of connected topics that would be challenged by most “middle of the road” Americans. And more Americans need to critically examine these topics, if only they could give the counter-argument to the prevailing narrative a fair shake. I love it.

Yes the video is mostly correct assuming you take the film at its face value. Even when I saw Forrest Gump in the '90s I viewed it as satire. It was if The Onion wrote a history book, although I’m pretty sure the Onion didn’t exist yet. I thought the movie was saying “If the American dream were real, this is how it would look. See how ridiculous, and completely unlike real life this is? Clearly the story the US likes to tell about itself is complete bullshit.”

Not having read the book, that is what I think makes it a really great work. The opinions of the book’s author or the movie’s creators don’t matter, they’re metaphorically dead. What matters is they managed to make something that almost every white American on every spot on the entire ideological spectrum can stand up and applaud. They definitely portray the leftist activists as misguided. They also portray the Vietnam war itself as horrifying unnecessary violence. It’s not exactly Apocalypse Now!, but what else is? Even now that both-sidesiness is a thing, nobody is doing it nearly as well as this 25+ year old movie.

Most works of explicit and overt propaganda have a strong position, and attempt to pull the viewer in that direction. Schindler’s List doesn’t both-sides the Holocaust. But Forrest Gump, at least for the white American people of a certain age who can identify with it, it makes them believe whatever they already believe even more strongly. It’s not a Mary Sue of a character, it’s a Mary Sue of 20th century US history. The audience self inserts their entire ideology onto it, and it fits like a glove. It works even on my very cynically shaped glove.

TL;DR: Regardless of what you think of that movie, and I probably agree with you, I respect its masterful storytelling.