The Satanic Temple

Satanic Arkansas cofounder Ivy Forrester, one of the rally organisers, said: “If you’re going to have one religious monument up then it should be open to others, and if you don’t agree with that then let’s just not have any at all.”

2 Likes

Both a boss an a NPC in the La Mulana series

I thought this was a Christmas thread with an odd spin to it.

Edit: for context, this thread was originally misspelled “The Santanic Temple”

I assume it was the same Baphomet statue that visited the Oklahoma Capitol, until their supreme court ordered their Ten Commandments monument at the capitol removed.

FIFTEEN CHATACTERS OF HAIL SATAN! :smiling_imp:
Apparently the filter doesn’t like my hail Satan unless I add something.

1 Like

HAIL BEELZEBUB! :metal:

Would work, if you consider them equivalent

So when I first heard about TST claiming appropriation by this show, I figured they were trolling. I mean, the show itself is a ridiculous campy mashup of various occult and pagan things that bears no resemblance to any of them, so obviously nobody can take it seriously.

But then I looked at it more. The statue of Baphomet in the show is an almost identical copy of the “Baphoment Children” statue that TST commissioned, so there does seem to be something to this whole copyright infringement claim.

That really seems to cement the claim. You might be able to claim parody, but parody should punch up, not down. This seems more in the realm of imperialists stealing cultural works and claiming them for their own.

I’m still pretty sure nobody is going to confuse the trite fun garbage that is Sabrina with any serious practice, but I really see the case for litigating because it might.

I haven’t done any research into this and I’m no lawyer but it seems Netflix could cite prior art of Baphomet. But I haven’t really compared prior art of Baphomet to make any comparisons either.

I have, funny enough. The notable thing about the “Baphomet Children” statue is that prior depictions of Baphomet all show them as being hermaphroditic - drawings have pronounced breasts.

The statue is rare in that it depicts a completely male torso. So does the one in Sabrina. Combine that with the children…

My thought is that the art department Googled it, found TST’s statue, and assumed it was a depiction that had existed for a while.

Waves arms in general direction of conservatives

Well that was fast.

What I particularly enjoy about this form of activism is that it achieves real tangible goals. It forces the issue into one of two possible outcomes that are equally beneficial (assuming they win in court, which they usually do).

If they get to put the monuments up, it breaks the christian hegemony and opens the door to actual “religious freedom.” It forces christians to accept that other religions exist in public spaces (which is a real problem in many parts of the US), and to put their money where their mouth is on the issue.

More likely, the christians that made it a problem in the first place freak out, and rapidly all religious displays are removed. It both solves the problem and exposes that the christian activists didn’t actually want “religious freedom” but simply “christian supremacy.”

When given the choice between “multiple religions” and “no religions” in public secular space, they’ll reliably choose the latter.

Even better, in order to fight against this form of activism, christian activists basically have to argue that one specific religion is somehow less protected than their own. The reasons they might give are mutually damning in all cases.

7 Likes

This American Life episode about Satan, including the Satanic Prayer Hotline.

Hi there. I am calling to have a hex placed on my neighbors, they have recently been placing traffic cones outside their house in an effort to block public parking spaces, and we live right next to a busy gallery. So it’s really hard to find parking. I’ve asked them to stop, but they said no, so, I think that my only option now is to turn to Satan. So if you could please place a hex on them, so that their cars don’t work anymore or break down or you know, just maybe that their cones evaporate. That would be really nice. Thanks so much and hail Satan.

2 Likes
7 Likes
1 Like

Pretty good move, Satanic Templars. Abortion is a religious ritual:

Would this be effective in practice? Would one need to actually try to get an abortion, be denied service, and then sue for it to have teeth?

TST is a recognized religious organization, so almost definitely. It seems like they fight aggressively in states where that kind of thing would happen.