The PC Building Thread

Not necessary but neither is a mATX PC with a military theme, nor is it desirable. :wink:

Also you think free extra performance isn’t desirable? That’s like saying no to free money, especially when the CPU overclocks itself if given a chance.

I have witnessed several thousand dollar PC’s reduced to paperweights because GO FASTER BIGGER NUMBERS. I’m never touching that.

[quote=“panfriedmarmot, post:122, topic:327, full:true”]
I have witnessed several thousand dollar PC’s reduced to paperweights because GO FASTER BIGGER NUMBERS. I’m never touching that.
[/quote]I don’t bother pushing mine - too much effort for what won’t amount to a noticeable return - but I can see myself overclocking to extend the life of my current hardware. I wouldn’t push it too hard, though - after all, if I blow it, I can’t afford to replace it on what I make.

I agree with Churba. Maybe don’t OC a brand new machine, especially if you put a decent amount into good hardware that you want to keep a while. But once it’s a few years old, what’s the risk? Way I look at it, you’re running on borrowed time anyway so, see how long and far you can push. My last system I was able to go from 3.4 to 4.5 Ghz, RAM boosted, all with a few one-button pre-loaded selections, and it’s been running that way for over a year, no problem. It started getting unstable at 4.7, so, back it off from there but still, a FREE extra Ghz boost is nothing to sneeze at in terms of performance. Of course some chips the OC gains are in the 2-300 mhz range and that really isn’t anything that’s going to make or break the system or even justify holding onto a system longer than you would anyway.

With my current rig, there is no useful impact of ANY amount of non-inherent overclocking. Nothing I do will happen faster. :wink:

But in Overwatch you could get a few frames beyond your monitor’s refresh rate than you already were beyond the refresh rate :wink:

I will say I was able to see useful performance gains in War Thunder and Battlefield from OCing.

I get why there is a hobbyist thing of overclocking, but now that OEMs provide decent stable OC modes there’s no reason for most people to touch it.
I was really in to undervolting for a while, and other weird ways of reducing power draw. But that’s also hit a point of being almost pointless with all the efficiency gains over the past 5 years. Pretty sure my desktop still only hits triple digits of watts when gaming.

[quote=“panfriedmarmot, post:122, topic:327, full:true”]
I have witnessed several thousand dollar PC’s reduced to paperweights because GO FASTER BIGGER NUMBERS. I’m never touching that.[/quote]I’ve seen ten’s of thousands worth of engine parts sprayed all over a chassis dyno, doesn’t mean I’m not boosting my V8 as soon as I have the means.

1 Like

You can stay scared as shit about it, I’ve been overclocking since core 2’s were out, it’s innate for me, I know how to take it to the line and where to back off to.

I’m replacing that chip in a few years anyway.

Regardless the more cooling you give the CPU the better your Intel chip will overclock itself.
I don’t know why you’re mad or judgemental about someone else doing something that they find some small enjoyment in. I mean I didn’t even get a CPU cooler with this chip and I’ve been using the same CPU heatsink for the last 4 builds.

Also it’s gotten to the state where the motherboard and the software automate the majority of the process for me, my RAM is under lifetime warranty regardless of what I do to it.

2 Likes

You can stay scared as shit about it, I’ve been overclocking since core 2’s were out, it’s innate for me, I know how to take it to the line and where to back off to.

Yes yes you’re a Big Dick G because you overclock, which is another reason I hate the whole PC tuner scene, the perpetual dick measuring contest around it.

I can’t see where I said any of that. I don’t post my results on the sites that actually track all that data because it isn’t my primary hobby

If perpetual dick measuring contests bother you maybe you should stop staring a people measuring dicks. It’s happening all around you everywhere, from sport to business, wealth and power. You’re dick measuring interpreter must be overloaded.

Saying shit like “stay scared shitless I’m still awesome” to paraphrase you, is dick waving, and just as stupid and pointless as all the other things you mentioned.

[quote=“panfriedmarmot, post:132, topic:327, full:true”]
Saying shit like “stay scared shitless I’m still awesome” to paraphrase you, is dick waving, and just as stupid and pointless as all the other things you mentioned.
[/quote]He didn’t say that. He likes to overclock, he knows he doesn’t have to and does it for fun. Same reason I modify cars. Just because there’s a lot of dick measuring in a given hobby, don’t assume that everyone does it.

1 Like

[quote=“GeorgePatches, post:133, topic:327”]
He didn’t say that. He likes to overclock, he knows he doesn’t have to and does it for fun. Same reason I modify cars. Just because there’s a lot of dick measuring in a given hobby, don’t assume that everyone does it.
[/quote]I’ll second that. I know sk0pe, he’s not the kinda guy who would go to the effort just to wave his dick about to try and impress strangers, except possibly in the entirely literal sense, who knows, med and vet student parties are fucking wild man. He’s doing it for himself, because he enjoys it.

2 Likes

Prefacing a boast about skill with “stay scared” strikes a tone of dismissiveness and superiority. In the end I really don’t care if someone is rich enough to risk breaking expensive equipment for funsies if that is their thing. I think it’s foolish and possibly wasteful but that is my opinion. I wasnt mad until I was basically called a coward for disagreeing.

You are calling overclockers foolish. Is that really so different?

3 Likes

Time for the quarterly thread bump of “what’s the best monitor?” I’m looking for something on the ~22" range. Is the Dell UltraSharp still best?

EDIT: Forgot the most important spec, the monitors need VESA mounts on the back to work with my monitor arms.

It depends what you want in a monitor. The Dell Ultrasharp is still probably the way to go if you want accurate colors and lots of different A/V connections in the back. For gaming, though, you are probably don’t care about color as much and just want a higher refresh rate and a lower price. People don’t really make TN displays anymore. Everything is IPS, so even the ones with bad colors aren’t as bad as it was back in the day. Another important thing is what aspect ratio you want, since almost everything is 16:9 these days. Also, do you want something that is high dpi like 2k or 4k, or are you happy with just regular old 1080p?

I’m in the market for a new monitor (my ultrasharp is ancient), and I currently don’t have a good best option. This is the main reason I haven’t bought one yet…

But, I really want 16:10, which limits my choices somewhat. Might have to let that ship sail.

I have the same Ultrasharp as you. Two at home and one at work. The only things wrong with it are that it is not high-dpi/4k and that the USB hub is USB 2.0 instead of 3.0. I don’t plan on replacing mine until 4K/retina is super ubiquitous.