The Best Game You Can Name (Ice Hockey)

Sure, I get that, I know that. It’s still an incredible risk to the Capitals.

That risk wasn’t taken now. It was taken long ago when they decided he would be a cap 4 life. Also, if his play falls off, he’ll retire. You think he’s actually going to play a full season in 2026?

The company that was hired to investigate the situation released their report yesterday (warning, contains some rather disturbing details in there).

As a result Blackhawks General Manager Stan Bowman has resigned from both the Blackhawks and as GM of the US Olympic hockey team. There are several other people also strongly implicated in negligently dealing with the issue during 2010 playoffs, notably then Blackhawks and now Panthers head coach Joel Quenneville.

The Blackhawks were also fined $2 million, which is somehow less than the New Jersey Devils were fined during the Kovalchuk contract fiasco. You’d think that covering up sexual abuse should be punished harder than cap circumvention, but I guess fucking with the money is always the riskier proposition.

While not named, there are also a number of players who apparently knew about the incident and then used it to taunt a player (apparently a different player).

Yeah, unfortunately, today, Hockey is not the best game you can name.

While all this is going on Chicago is doing extremely poorly, and a huge pile of their top players are out on “COVID protocol.” Just a complete shit show over there.

Despite his team starting 7-0, Florida Panthers head coach Joel Quenneville has resigned. The reason for this is of course that he is strongly implicated in the report about the Blackhawks scandal, namely ignoring the situation and putting the athletic pursuit ahead of the wellbeing of a fellow human.

Connor McDavid

Cheating. What are defenders supposed to do there? Intentional penalty I guess?

Connor McDavid, again!

If anyone here wants to go to Madison Square Garden tonight, January 24, 2022, for the game at 7PM LA Kings vs. New York Rangers, send me a DM. Bonus, it’s :rainbow_flag: pride night at the garden.

The Blackhawks had a press conference yesterday. A relatively softball question is asked what the Blackhawks are doing to prevent something like the sexual assault that occurred in 2010. You know, what they promised they would implement and the transparency they promised.

Instead of answering, owner Rocky Wirtz goes off the fucking deep end, and just yells at the reporter “that’s none of your business” repeatedly, and then even stops someone else from answering that question.

I have no illusions about corporate dealings, or that any NHL team had acted very differently were they in the same situation in 2010. However, being this obvious about how you think that you aren’t accountable to anyone and just want the matter to go away kind of leaves me speechless. Billionaire callousness on full display.

We got an own-goal!

I live for the rare events of this sport.

• Own goal
  • Goalie goal
  • Penalty shot
  • Exceptionally long overtime
  • Someone skating backward over the blue line with the puck, not triggering an offsides, and getting to explain that rule
1 Like

I’ve never heard of something so ridiculous. The teams already celebrating in the locker room before they finish reviewing the game winning goal.

1 Like

There’s a big and hilarious trade deadline drama going on. I’m still trying to make sense of it.

Evgenii Dadanov signed as a free agent in Ottawa in 2020.

He was traded to Vegas in summer of 2021.

Just now (March 2022) he was traded from Vegas to Anaheim.

Ok, so what’s the problem? The problem is that when he signed in Ottawa he supposedly had a no trade clause. It’s rarely/never made public what teams are on player’s no-trade/no-move lists, but apparently Anaheim was on his list. Since he’s still on that same contract, that clause still applies, despite being traded.

There’s all sorts of drama with regards to if/when he submitted the list of teams he wouldn’t play for. The union is involved and all that.

We’re also seeing reports that in 2015 there was a proposal to build a central official database of all player contract info, and that the commissioner rejected it. Instead, we have the publicly available, but unofficial resource https://www.capfriendly.com/ that even NHL GMs refer to. The point being that if the official database existed, problems like this Dadanov trade would never have happened.

It’s going to be hilarious to watch this play out, because there are two possible final results, and both are bad.

1. Dadanov plays for Vegas where he now knows he isn’t wanted.
  2. Dadanov plays for Anaheim where they know he listed them specifically as a team he didn’t want to ever play for.

There’s also a tax issue. California has much higher taxes than Nevada, and he stands to lose a lot of money if he has to play there.

Good times for laughs, but this is really not a good look for the league. They really do not have their shit together.

UPDATE!

https://media.nhl.com/public/news/15936

It’s official. The trade of Dadonov is invalidated.

What does this mean? First it means Vegas is in deep shit with regards to staying under the salary cap. They’re going to have to waive or trade someone.

And therein lies the next problem, it’s past the trade deadline now. Whoever they waive or trade won’t be able to play any game for any team for the remainder of this season. They may have to pay someone to take Dadonov off their hands. Meanwhile he gets paid for the rest of the season, but can’t play. I would love that, but I don’t know if he does. Players usually want to play.

I know if he gets waived and claimed he can’t play for whoever claims him. But if he clears waivers, I’m not sure if he can play in the minors or not. I’m also not sure if a team on his no-trade clause is allowed to claim him off waivers. It’s just speculation for now. Vegas hasn’t waived anyone (yet).

EDIT: There seems to be little doubt that the dysfunctional Ottawa Senators are the ones who are at fault. No surprise. There is a good chance we might see VGK take them to court!

What is goalie interference?

“Pushing on the puck is legal, pushing on the goalie is not” seems like a sane rule. Is that not what the real rule is?

Goalie interference rules are complex. There is actually a big table in the NHL rulebook with tons of example rulings.

So for example:

The contact by the attacking player with the goalkeeper is other than incidental and the attacking player, in the judgment of the Referee, did not make a reasonable effort to avoid such contact at the time a goal is scored.

Result

A minor and/or major penalty may be called at the discretion of the Referee plus assessment of whatever other penalties may be appropriate up to and including supplementary discipline and the goal is disallowed.

There are tons of these. Some of them are funny.

Situation

A goalkeeper initiates contact with an attacking player to establish position in the crease and the attacking player does not vacate the position, however, no goal is scored on the play. A possible penalty depends on the Referee’s judgment as to the degree of contact and degree of resistance with the attacking player and whether the goalkeeper was truly trying to establish a position.

Result

Minor penalty. This player runs the risk of “bad things” happening by being in the crease. In this example it is a minor penalty.

In this case, the puck is uncovered and is clearly a loose puck able to be played by any player. The situation that applies here, due to the exact nature of the contact as seen in the video, is likely:

Situation

An attacking player makes incidental contact with the goalkeeper while both are attempting to play a loose puck at the time a goal is scored.

Result

Goal is allowed.

And here I thought Philadelphia was where the bad things happen. Mostly in the Wells Fargo Center when the Flyers are playing there HAHA! Kill me

1 Like