The Best Game You Can Name (Ice Hockey)

Apparently some big things going on in Swiss ice hockey…

Hank to caps. Then Hank career over with heart disease.

Caps lose one old guy, get another one.

So, non bubble hockey is going well.

Hoping they cancel it, but gonna watch the train wreck if they don’t.

Smart money is on, there’s gonna be a train wreck to watch.

After all, cancelling it isn’t profitable.

Puck is about to drop on the first game of the season. I would be surprised it actually gets finished, but I guess it is a welcome distraction from the shit that is going on at the moment.

Also, not that I care about The Star Spangled Banner, but Lauren Hart is the best anthem singer in the country.

Dealing with one garbage fire by starting another one.

This is probably the least I’ve been prepared for an NHL season in the past ten years. I don’t think I even know the full Flyers roster. However, it is nice to see Lindblom (who missed a large junk of last season due to bone cancer) and Patrick (who missed all of last season due to chronic migraines) on the ice.

Also, the ads on the helmets look like shit.

:100: :100: :100: :100: :100:

1 Like

If there is a person who gets COVID who would not have gotten it if the NHL had chosen to not play, and that person dies of COVID, then it means that person sacrificed their life in order for hockey to happen. If that happens, then absolutely all the revenues from NHL hockey this season should go to the family of that person. It won’t replace the priceless life that was lost, but it will be just. That person gave their life for that pile of money, so it’s only right that it goes to their estate.

But I’m going to watch hockey anyway.

NWHL bubble in Lake Placid starts this weekend. You can watch on Twitch, and the semi-final and final will be on NBCSN.

pikachu.jpg

What a poop show.

Really trying hard to support women’s hockey, and it’s just full of so much drama.

In case it wasn’t clear, Bar :poop: sports network is misogynist and racist, and fuck them and everything about them.

In other hockey news, the Penguins GM suddenly resigned for personal reasons. I don’t know enough about that situation to make any other comment.

Also Red Wings goalie Jimmy Howard retired. I remember a lot of games with him and Hank in net. He wasn’t an incredible goalie, but sometimes he just transformed into a brick wall at Madison Square Garden. Maybe I’ll look up the stats on that to see if it really happened or just my memory. Anyway, congrats Jimmy.

In an extremely GeekNights news

The IIHF world championship of 2020 was cancelled, obviously. There was an insurance policy that that paid out giving them 12.5 million euros. That made this the second most profitable of all IIHF world championships of all time.

Noted piece of shit Tony DeAngelo (Trump supporter, QAnon moron, suspended twice in Juniors for using racist slurs) was waived yesterday by the Rangers after he started a fight with his own goaltender Alexandar Georgiev because of an overtime loss against the Penguins. Apparently it came to physical blows with Chris Kreider and/or K’Andre Miller who were trying to break it up. DeAngel has cleared waivers as nobody wanted a locker room cancer with a way too expensive contract. Probably getting sent down.

Fuck that douchebag. As much as I prefer a league with guaranteed contracts, this is kind of where I’d want a morality clause or something.

Yeah, been waiting for the story to end, and for fact to separate from rumor, before posting about it. I just want to say I was on the record anti TonyD from the first day I knew he existed. The only thing I have to say about how he went down is that it should have happened way way way way sooner.

2 Likes

The loudest sad Price is Right trombone sound you ever heard.

No surprise. They didn’t make a real bubble, they face the consequences.

A damn shame. I guess my prediction of “They’ll start, but they won’t finish.” turned out to be correct.

There is this bit of positive news.

But the overall picture for women’s ice hockey right now is that it just can’t get out of its own way.

Best part is, if this’d happened in one of my classes. I guarantee nobody would have seen it, because nobody reads the like discussion posts.

Going back to school is a great plan for pro athletes who retire and aren’t super mega famous enough to live off that fame. I’m always reminded of former NY Giant Justin Tuck, because he’s awesome, but also because he keeps showing up at NY Rangers games. After he retired he got an MBA and is now a VP at Goldman Sachs. Having won a Super Bowl or having your name on the Stanley Cup is a great way to skip the entry level positions even with the same old degree all the other college students have.