The American Collapse (of Civil Society (non-governmental institutions))

Ask not what your country can do for you.

Maybe I’m wrong but I think what’s being asked is literally “what can we actually do for our country?”

Which you’ve answered, granted. Just saying I don’t take the above post as requesting anything be done or given.

I was talking to Axel’s mom.

https://twitter.com/AASchapiro/status/1025210748291698689
The reason why the rent is too damn high.

The episode is on Trump, but about halfway through they talk about money laundering in general. And how we just look the other way.

Edit: I have a question. Let’s say there is a chance that this regulator is right and actually cracking down on the corrupt would tear apart the whole system. Do it still?

I would still say do it, but I’m a fan of Justice and not Order.

3 Likes

Magic the Gathering artist Titus Lunter as well as several other artists who were flying into Seattle for a D&D concept push with Wizards of the Coast were detained by ICE this weekend, highlighting the idiotic and draconic immigration policies of the United States.

I wonder exactly how they were in violation of the ESTA Visa Waiver.

As soon as you’re doing any business that involves direct sales, volunteering for an event, etc…, you’re almost always technically in violation. It’s vague nonsense.

Like, lecturing at a PAX would be fine, but selling art or being an Enforcer would not (in theory: I am not a lawyer nor am I an expert in this topic).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUTs9-vsO6k

I tip my hand posting this in this thread, but when I watched this I didn’t know where it was going. It’s nominally about Albania. Guy who made is son of Canadian astronaut and personal hero of mine Chris Hadfield, Evan Hadfield.

How can I watch a video like that, one I mostly agree with, and just come away angry that the camerawork was so shoddy? Over half the shots were badly framed, tracking in the wrong direction, or otherwise ambiguous about the subject we were supposed to be looking at. Just getting a good camera and/or a drone is not enough!

Heh, if I recall correctly, when they set out to make the series they mentioned they had an Italian camera man and sort of used “and Enrico” and a cut to him doing a little wave as a bit of a joke. I guess you’re gonna wanna blame Enrico or whatever his name was.

FWIW I didn’t notice this at all. You’ve either got a better eye than me or are just harder to please.

I wasn’t exactly sure if this was the right thread for this, but whatever:

““Is this your phone?” the agent asks, facing the screen toward her. She looks directly at the screen, and, as Face ID is enabled, the phone unlocks—even though the traveler is sitting a few feet away and hasn’t touched her phone since it was seized. The agent then swipes up to reach the home screen and has access to most of the personal data on her phone.”

Moral of the story kids? Always use a numerical password.

1 Like

My solution is full phone encryption. It doesn’t work if the phone is turned on, but that’s easily fixed by powering down your phone as you approach the US border. I’ve never been to the south border but I’ve been going across the northern one a couple times a year for most of my life.

Nobody has ever even asked to look at my phone but I still power it down just the same.

Always use an alphanumerical password. 4 digits pins are garbage. Use something like diceware. Get a full sentence going on up in this biz.

Also, enable the feature where your phone deletes itself if someone gets the password wrong ten times.

Also, back that shit up, so you don’t care if it happens.

2 Likes

Just be aware that the “relaxed” Constitutional protections of the border applies to a zone 100 miles from the actual “border” and also around airports.

1 Like

Don’t care is doing a lot of work in that sentence. That feature started to piss me off after the tenth or so time I deleted my entire phone from within my pocket.

Having backups doesn’t save me from having to deal with restoring my entire phone being a pain in the ass I don’t need.

While true, I can power my phone down simply by holding down a hardware button on the side down for like 10 seconds, (or at least initiate the process from which I believe there’s no way to stop) So even if I live most of my entire life within that 100 miles, if I get the impression someone want’s my phone, I can take it out and stall long enough to power it down.

I have never once deleted the contents of my phone by accident, and my phone lives in my pocket. I don’t know what the heck you are doing.

1 Like

Sitting at the movies. Imagine going to see the avengers and walking out of the theater short your entire contact list and a factory reset phone. Worse still, at the time this was a mandatory feature in order to receive work email on my phone.

Powering down the phone is the easiest thing to do if you insist on having a biometric unlock. Same goes for the “trusted” bluetooth locking, you still have to punch in the PIN on power on to enable it. iPhones can’t be copied just from a biometric unlock anyway, but just because taking photos of the screen is tedious doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen.

Also encrypt your backups.

How is that happening? I’ve never had my phone try to authenticate/unlock in my pocket. It’s never butt-dialed, never done anything.

I don’t live in my pocket, I don’t know. I can say that this process of factory resetting a phone must be computationally demanding as it takes a few minutes and the phone gets warm. Usually when it happens I’m tipped off by my phone being unusually warm, and when taken out to see whats up, the manufacturers logo is on the screen and it can’t be interacted with.