Tech that needs to die

I have refused to use Skype for most of my life, and have not used it in at least 10 years.

I use skype with exactly two people, previously one, partially from inertia, partially because it’s something that has just worked for us consistently without having to fuck around with it. There was a period of time where it was the primary method of communication for the Breakfast Club, but that was 10-ish years ago.

The problem with Teams is scale. It’s seems okay for a small pre-defined group like a Software or Project team of 20 or so people. I’m not sure how good it would be for a company of 200+ people. Or where people from one team need to talk to another.

When I had to use it on a VDI session the Windows 10 app was wonky.

I’ve used Slack at work for several years now at two different jobs. I am also in the Stimhack Slack for the Netrunner community. It also included the Slay the Spire community, since that spawned from the Netrunner community.

I use slack at work but slack is also pretty good for local organizing. It’s a pretty good tool provided whatever you’re doing doesn’t get too big. Then it costs monies.

Yeah, there’s a particular organization I volunteer for once a year, where comms are split between slack(for relatively important people and things) and Discord(for all the other people and things), simply because they don’t want to pay the money for something they will only need that many people in for a week, once a year. And honestly, it’s not the worst idea, because frankly, slack can be an absolute mess when you’ve got people who aren’t that familiar with it all talking at cross purposes to each other simultaneously.

1 Like

We dumped it as soon as Discord became a thing. I did use it to chat with my folks when i was in Japan tho.

Personally, I would like cars to go away from touchscreens and back to controls that I can feel without having to look at them.

2 Likes

I can understand that. In Artemis it’s better to have manual controls for the pilot. Touchscreens only allow for so many inputs and piloting the ship requires precision.

How many times have I fat fingered the info-tainment touch display and picked the wrong station/bluetooth source. Would not want that as part of navy operations.

1 Like

Someone other than me on this forum plays Artemis?

I love me some Artemis!

At conventions usually.

More like "I got to play Artemis at the pilot one time, and using a touchscreen sucked because you couldn’t maneuver and change the throttle at the same time.

I mean, you’re dead right of course. When my friends play I generally supply a bunch of the laptops because grown ass adults can’t coordinate to have their laptops in the same place on the same day. And one of my laptops is like a decade on now and when it tries to play Artemis a good chunk of the UI elements don’t load.

We always set that one as the pilot because I have a joystick. The joystick makes the pilot in many ways.

Love Artemis. Kind of bummed that Star Trek Bridge Simulator Never Really took off.

I was never a fan of playing the pilot on the Touch Screens, but I found that Just a keyboard is totally fine.

1 Like
1 Like

It’s been dead for a while, they just finally decided to bury the corpse because it was smelling too bad.

1 Like

The Spinner* is a service that enables you to subconsciously influence a specific person, by controlling the content on the websites he or she usually visits.

https://www.thespinner.net/

The Spinner* sends you an innocent looking link. This link is sent to the target via text message. When the target presses the link, a cookie connected to the link attaches itself to the target’s phone. From that point on, the target will be strategically bombarded with articles and media tailored to him or her.

So not only do you need to Phish your target but it requires either taking advantage of their trust or inflicting it on someone too stupid to know how the internet works.

Also cyclopean yikes at packages with names like “initiate sex”, “quit your job”, and “don’t divorce, save your marriage”. Oh, the last one is “don’t fall for phishing attacks” , at least they’re up front about their evil.