Star Wars: The Disney Era

Can someone explain to me if Jenny Nicholson is for real, or is just the best troll ever? I don’t know whether to lump her into the shitpile of amateur YouTube film critics, or admire her work at tweaking Star Wars fans. All I know is that her Solo review is 50 minutes long and there’s no fucking way I’m watching that.

Jenny Nicholson is one of the best new Youtube media critics and I’m not joking. The difference is from watching her videos, I believe she actually does love Star Wars and is simply critical of parts of it (see her video on Forces of Destiny and Marketing to Girls) and not jaded like RedLetterMedia. Funny enough, her history on the internet originates from that Friendship is Witchcraft MLP Abridged Series but she is so thorough, clever, and biting in all of her videos. Her videos on The Last Jedi, The Greatest Showman, and Escape From Tomorrow are pretty amazing.

2 Likes

Jenny Nicholson is one of half a dozen youtube personalities I enjoy watching. Her Solo review was the most enjoyable 50 minutes of my week. You should just watch it. Also watch the top 10 lame things to do at Disney World.

Edit: I think the Forces of Destiny review is a better and less emotionally charged starting point. Also Escape from Tomorrow. Also The Worst Reality Show of All Time.

1 Like

Plus, she thinks Rogue One is terrible, so we both agree on that!

1 Like

HOLY SHIT I didn’t know she was part of Sherclop Pones. This elevates her to Neil Cicierega levels of power. Just quietly making excellent shit, disappearing, and making more excellent shit on a different account like it’s easy.

I like Jenny’s videos but I have to be in the mood to listen to her delivery.

My favorite Disney era Star Wars “reviews” are definitely the Auralnauts’ Kyko Ren series.

If only there was a movie about how resorting to anger is a bad thing, even if you think you’re doing something right.

3 Likes

LOL

2 Likes

I think Disney’s Star Wars quite good but for new generation. Though, i like new spin-off about Han Solo :slight_smile:

Because Media Analysis YouTubers I like (Lindsay Ellis, Mikey Neumann, Shaun) are releasing videos on it, I finally sat down to watch The Last Jedi. I also caught up with this thread because I have no interest in Solo and haven’t had any to begin with.

At this point I admit to the heresy that I never really cared all that much about Star Wars, even though my family seems to think I like it a lot simply because they know I’m a nerd and hey, if you’re a nerd you have to be into Star Wars, right? To me Star Wars never got beyond the surface level to me. I understand that it resonated with a lot of people when it first came out, to the point where it is said to have revolutionized cinema, but I just never got into it. The movies always seemed like trying to be more than they could ever feasibly hold together, and the really weird obsession about even the most minute details from the fanbase also doesn’t help that. Finally, the worldview the movies ascribe to with an ultimate good and an ultimate bad side also always felt hollow to me.

The Last Jedi on one level appears to break with all that, but only to a certain extent. Sure it says to leave everything behind and burn down your old books, but in the end we still only end up with some good guys battling some bad guys.

The movie itself is still decently made, even if it has some weak points, but it still doesn’t rise to any sort of revelatory level for me. It is still just a bit of fluff cinema. Maybe it’s me here but I really can’t see where the whole obsession the entirety of humanity seems to have with that franchise, much less to the point where assholes think they need to harass people over the fact that they are continuing the story differently than they expect or want it to.

https://twitter.com/denmark98/status/1005726413188665344

I am very much looking for Episode 9 to declare the end of the extreme good/extreme bad polar stances. Episode 8 set it up well to do this, but they’d better follow through.

It didn’t even burn down the old books.

If you really think that Star Wars is going to end the polar nature of its universe, you’re probably going to be disappointed. At the end of the day, it’s a mass-marketed fantasy movie aimed primarily at kids and older fans. It’s never going to be nuanced with shades of gray.

Despite the polar stances there are still people who insist the Jedi were evil and the Sith have a point.

Sure, but the official cannon, and especially the movies, will never say that.

And Rick is a good guy and Scott Pilgrim was never a dick, according to some. People are always going to misinterpret media.

1 Like

Rey and Kylo making gray jedi babies or GTFO.

Bracing for disappointment.

2 Likes

Finn and BB8 making cyborg Jedi babies or GTFO.

1 Like