Star Wars: The Disney Era

None of this precludes strapping hyperdrives to fuckhueg asteroids that are othwrwise just laying around, which then become really badass mines. A capital ship, big as it is, is still mostly full of habitable volume, so just gas with thun walls and suppprt structures. Not a single mass of iron.

An asteroid 2km long and roughly potato shaped going into hyperspace is probably a gun barrel nothing wants to look down.

Of course, it’s possible that this is considered a war crime (e.g., it is in Babylon 5), which is why it isn’t used more often. Of course, nothing rules out it being used by less scrupulous forces in Star Wars (again, in Babylon 5, the Centauri didn’t care that it was a war crime and used it against their rivals, the Narn).

So that may explain why the Republic/Rebels/Resistance didn’t use it, it doesn’t explain why the Empire/First Order don’t, unless hyperdrives are so expensive that it’s not worth strapping them to giant space rocks relative to just building giant ass turbolasers.

1 Like

I think that’s the more likely explanation. After all, in terms of ship parts, what you’d need is pretty much the entire power and propulsive system from a ship - the Reactor, the hyperdrive, the navigational systems, the thrusters, fuel storage, cooling, etc They’re also not the easiest parts to manufacture, there’s only a handful of companies that make them, at least that we’re aware of. And you can’t skimp - you need capital ship sized gear, this isn’t some tiny little jobby from Incom that you bolt on an orbit-hopper.

Now, all that shit can’t be cheap. After all, even on ships of today, after the Hull, the engines and assorted systems are some of the most expensive parts on a ship, and considering the relatively increased complexity of the systems involved, I can’t imagine it would be any different in the star wars universe.

1 Like

9 Likes

This is beautiful.

7 Likes

Who were Han’s parents?

Now I want them to make a Young Bail Organa movie.
And young Mon Mothma.
And young Tarkin.

Decent read that does a better job than I could hope to do in expressing why I enjoyed the score to this film. The whole gang is here. TFA set up a bunch of character themes, mix them in with original trilogy themes, and you’ve got a LOT to play with as a composer. Even the friggin’ trench run theme get used.

This is the sort of situation where you need a master composer. Anyone can cut and paste a character’s theme during the moments they are on screen. Instead, John Williams weaved them together with genius. The end result isn’t a score that’s as outright listenable as the original trilogy, but I strongly feel it worked in service of the actual movie. Definitely improved the film.

On the topic of grey jedi, I am 100% down with it. I don’t see it as pandering to the “both sides are valid” whiners. There’s some good shit brewing with the Rey/Finn/Poe/Kylo common thread of “we are all children of war, born into fucked up shit because our parents’ generation focused on establishing extreme positions.” When you look at the self-balancing nature of things, one extreme is guaranteed to be met by the other, so stop taking extreme positions. I look forward to Rey leading the grey, and sapping the First Order of their strength as the polar opposing force.

2 Likes

This is a thing and it is good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWUrl7FpkAo

2 Likes
1 Like

First teaser for the Solo movie premieres Monday morning.

It’s already leaked!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80T59B2RVOo

3 Likes
2 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Szts88zY4o

1 Like

So I found out that the Droid that is being mo-capped/voiced by Phoebe Waller-Bridge is named L3-37.

The droid’s name is basically “Leet”.

1 Like

Fun facts - I don’t know for sure, but I’m maybe 95% sure that the speeder you briefly see Han driving in the trailer was designed based on…A 1965 Ford Falcon.

Just kill me now, please…

d00d th4t5 pr377y b4\/\/l4h!