Recent Board Gaming

Yesterday our local game shop had an event sponsored by Pegasus Spiele, a german publisher in order to present a couple new games. I played two of them.

Swindler is a game where you play thiefs in victorian england. There is a central pun in the game around a german term (“Reiche Säcke”) which literally means “rich bags” but would be more appropriately translated as “rich bastards” or perhaps “fat cats”. Indeed, you “steal” things by picking random tiles from one of several multicolored bags that have different distributions of loot. However, you also keep those tiles across rounds so this also influences what the other players can get. There is also a “skull” in each bag, which forces you to stop stealing and forfeit all the loot from the bag you stole, a classic “push your luck” mechanic.

You steal these things to accomplish certain goals which give you victory points, and you can sell those tiles for victory points according to a randomized stack of dealers, with extra points of you finish off a set a dealer wants, so there is some strategy to what bags you want to steal from and when to sell off the loot (when a dealer is completed you return the loot to its respective bag).

What I like about the game is the persistent influence the random chance has. Unfortunately the game is also extremely heavy on luck. I won the game after a very fortunate pull where I pulled six tiles in a row without hitting the skull, which catapulted me into the lead. I was also lucky to get randomly assigned the most powerful “master thief” card, which gives you a special power after completing a certain number of goals. The game has a couple of catch-up mechanics but there is also a lot of meanness since you can buy “accomplices”, cards that allow you to mess with other players. Overall not my cup of tea.

KuZOOkA on the other hand is very cooperative. You play some animals that are trying to escape from a zoo, but since you are all different species you can’t communicate directly by talking. Instead each animal has a special ability that allows you to interact with the game and possibly other players, e.g. trading cards between them or asking what is in their hand.

The escape itself works like this: Each round each players gets a certain number of cards from a deck with six different suits (representing different kinds of items visitors lost at the zoo), plus potentially a number of open cards on the table. There is a track in the middle of the game with these suits in increasing quantities of cards (e.g. 4 green cards, followed by 3 red cards as red is a more rare color, and 5 green cards further up the track). Without speaking the player whose turn it is has to indicate how far they think the group can go, i.e. what the highest amount of cards of a specific suit is among the cards in all players hands and the open cards, placing one of their animal tokens on the board.

The next player then has to place his token on a space farther along the track, or force the team to start the escape. This continues until someone starts the escape, at which point all the players reveal the cards in their hand and check the last placed token and see if they have at least this amount of cards of the indicated suit. If so, they accomplish the goal and the team gets a number of reward points, that they can then trade in to make the game easier (increasing the number of cards the team gets in the round and the number of open cards). If the target is hit exactly, you also get to add “multi-tool” cards to the deck, which are cards that count for any color.

The goal is to make it to the final spaces on the track within 7 rounds, though that will need additional cards you have to unlock in preceding rounds. If so the team wins as a group or else the escape fails and everybody loses. The game also comes with a wide variety of options to modify the difficulty (the board is double sided with different tracks, there are different amounts of points you can set to unlock additional cards, etc) plus the box comes with both german and english language game material right away.

I found this game a lot of fun and I ordered a copy of my own, because it seems like the kind of game I could teach to my niece and nephew and have fun with them with trying to communicate without speaking. Unfortunately the materials are in my opinion a bit substandard, as each different animal has its own kind of wooden tokens in a variety of colors, but the colors are kind of muted and the tokens are small and fiddly to separate out. It would have been much easier to just have a number of colors indicating the player, instead of different tokens for each animal.

I recently played Great Western Trail which is probably an old (Cowboy) hat for most here. It is somewhat a worker placement, somewhat a deck building game with your meeple moving along the board and able to different actions with the goal of crafting your hand of cattle cards when you reach the end of it, only for the meeple to start over at the top. It has a lot of interesting mechanics such as setting buildings that make the trail longer, or placing markers from your player board at the destinations where you ship your cattle to which at the same time uncover new abilities or upgrade existing abilities on your player board.

The game seems complicated but is actually rather easy and plays quickly. It also ends much quicker than you think at first. Just very well put together.

Tonight I played Planet B which I found lives in quite a similar brainspace as GWT but with different mechanics, as it is also a complicated game but the turns themselves are rather quick as there only that many options you can choose from. Unfortunately unlike GWT which hard-limits this by the position of your meeple on the board, there is much more option-creep later in the game, slowing things down.

I did very much like the theme and humor of Planet B though, as the game mocks humanity very likely reproducing the same social ills and environmental destruction even if we were allowed to start over on another planet. You yourself are a corrupt politician who is trying to help the planet, but only in as much as you can benefit yourself from it. I particularly liked the mechanic where the paper money you use in the game is also used for victory points, except the victory points are face-down and the money doesn’t have denominations on the backside. The rulebook actually specifies that you are supposed to literally put the victory points in your own pockets but we didn’t want to do that.

Unfortunately, it is a bit heavy later in the game. It isn’t a bad game, there are just better options that are more fun for the same mental bandwidth.

I finally managed to play Moonrakers. It was a very decent deckbuilding game with very high production value. Definitely would play it again even though I didn’t win either of the games I played.

You are playing as a group of outlaws in space trying to find a new leader by racing for a limit of victory points called Prestige. These points are provided either by objectives you complete in the game, or more likely through contracts which pay out VP or money you can use to buy upgrades for your ship (giving you additional cards and special abilities) or crew members (cards with special abilities). We however noticed that some of these are a bit off in terms of cost to reward.

Contracts have requirements of you playing specific cards. Those cards can give you additional resources such as drawing you extra cards and giving you extra actions to play cards in addition to fulfilling the contract requirements. However, since you only start with five cards in hand you will often have to ally with other players on the table and negotiate for the rewards on the contract should you succeed. It is also possible to just backstab people here at the risk of being ostracized.

The negotiation mechanic also include the hazard dice, the risk on each contract which can cost you 0 to 2 VP per dice but some of the cards you play will negate these effects, and there are some objectives and ship parts that key off how many Hazard dice you are taking on, adding a risk vs. reward factor.

The game was fun but not earthmoving. I would even call Cowboy Bebop Space Serenade slightly better if you want to have a space-themed deckbuilding game, but I don’t regret owning either and both games have different mechanical identities. Where Moonrakers definitely has the edge though is production values, with a very good product design where the inlay has space for sleeved cards, and the boards go into the box to keep other components such as the ship tokens, the dice and the metal coins you use for currency in place. The components and presentation as a whole justifies the slightly elevated price point of $70 for the box, which comes with a small graphic novel. Be warned though that the cards are slightly wider than magic cards so perfect size sleeves won’t fit, which was annoying to find out.

On wednesday I played Wonderlands War, which is an Alice in Wonderland themed “dudes on a map” territorial control game. You play a character from the story and you gain points by winning battles in one of five regions you place your forces in, then draw tokens from a bag to increase your support.

To set things up there is first the “tea party phase” where a bunch of cards are arranged around a table on the board and you take turns moving your character around this table. The cards individually allow you to place a limited amount of your supporters in a region, unlocking additional abilities for your character, improve your character’s strength, and add tokens to your personal token bag.

The token bag starts with a specific amount of tokens for your character, and over time you add further tokens to your bag which improve your chances of gaining good tokens as your bag will also accumulate “madness” tokens that force you to remove forces from a region during combat.

Once everybody has set up their bags by picking cards from the table combat begins and each region that is contested between multiple players has those players take turns pulling tokens from their bag which effect your strength in that contest. When all players no longer want to pull tokens the strength is measured and the strongest and gets the victory points for the region for that round. The second player who still has forces in the region gets half that. Winning also allows you to place a castle in that region that is worth victory points at the end of the game and give you some initial strength in the region.

The game is played for three rounds. It also has an objective system with objective cards you keep hidden that are worth points if you manage to do specific thing, again points at the end of the game should you done a specific thing, and another set of points if you did both the mid-game and the end-of-game thing.

Overall, the game was very overwhelming. For one it has just so many components you have to set up and prepare that it’s kind of a hassle. Kudos though for using cardboard standees instead of grey miniatures that you are never going to paint anyway. Worse though is the sheer amount of decision points that you are not well equipped initially to make the correct choice for. This also lead to the person that played the game once before winning pretty overwhelmingly. It also didn’t help that that person explained the game and unfortunately didn’t do too well a job at it.

It would probably improve once you are more familiar with the game, but at the same time it didn’t really impress me mechanically that I would want to play it again. The token-pulling just feels very random even though it is basically a deck-building game which I like. I played similar games before like Cthulhu Wars or Blood Rage and just had a lot more fun overall.

Yesterday I played Flamecraft a game about building up a fantasy town with the help of little dragons.

The town starts out with six starter shops. Each shop has three slots for specific kinds of dragon cards and playing a card into a shop gives you a benefit from doing so. The starter shops already each have a dragon working there. When a shop is fully staffed, you draw another shop from a prepared deck of shops to increase the town.

During your turn you visit a shop and then do one of two things: gathering or enchanting. If you gather, you gain resources according to the shop and what types of dragons are in the shop, can add more dragons to the shop from your hand, activate one one of the special abilities of the dragons and use the shop ability if it has one.

Enchanting however is what you really want to do, as this is the primary source of victory points in which you spend resources of specific types to add one of five publicly available enchantment cards to a shop, adding a bit of a race condition for people trying to fulfill them by gathering the needed items. The game comes with a simpler and a more complex version of this deck, with the latter more enjoyable in my opinion. Enchanting also allows you to use the special ability of all the dragons at a shop at once, thus enabling quasi-looping by enchanting a shop that has many resource-gatherer dragons.

Finally there are “fancy dragon” cards which want you to either achieve certain game states during the game or have specific resources left over at the end of the game for victory points, and there is a wild resource called coins which is also worth victory points at the end.

Gameplay-wise the game is pretty decent, but can unfortunately bog down into analysis paralysis later on as the town fills up. It is also rather cutthroat underneath as you can min-max a lot and particularly by trying to predict what other players want to do and making it “inadvertently” harder for them. Even then it is very hard not to improve the town in a way that the people that take their turns after you have a better position than you did, which is actually a nice forward progression I rarely see in games.

Aesthetics are often secondary in games, but this game in particular also endears itself through its painterly, Ghibli-esque art style and pun-filled names for shops, enchantments and dragon cards, which was one of the primary reasons I bought it. I could see it a big hit for families though the game play can be somewhat aggressive regardless.

Today I visited a board game day at a local community center where I placed Ark Nova. Initially the game reminded me a lot of Terraforming Mars, a game I very much do not like. However I was pleasantly surprised how much better Ark Nova is in comparison even though it still has some of the flaws such as too much iconography. At the very least the production value is already miles ahead right out of the box.

Ark Nova is a heavy eurogame for up to four players about building a Zoo in a hopefully ethical manner. You have a player tableau which shows your game state such as the layout of your zoo with just a middling enclosure and a ticket booth on a hexagonal grid. You can continuously fill up this grid with more enclosures, add animals to those enclosures and do other things that improve your zoo, sell more tickets so that you can earn more money.

I particularly liked the way that actions work. Every player has five action cards that are managed on the bottom of the tableau. Each different action can be upgraded to stronger version. However, their position in the sequence effect how effective they are on both sides, and when you perform an action you need to move that action card to the frontmost position and the weakest state. This helps guide you in sequencing your turns and how you want to gather resources.

I also very much like the scoring system where the scoring track has two parts with a token for each player on each side as they move toward each other. One track is how popular your zoo is and the other is how ethically you built it. The game ends the first time the tokens of a single player cross each other. Then each other player still has a turn to move their tokens in a direction, plus additional from game-end scoring cards. The biggest difference between two peoples tokens wins. There is also a big incentive in doing ethical cards, as those move the token effectively three steps per score.

The game is definitely super-heavy on mechanics, which is why the explanation for us three first-timers by the person who played it once before took a while, and why we played quite a long time just trying to make sure we did things correctly. However, I quite liked the experience and would definitely play it again.

Tonight I played Heat: Pedal to the Metal, another racing game by the same designers as the excellent Flamme Rouge. This time however it is about the golden age of Formula 1. The game comes with four tracks on two double-sided boards, and it’s kind of a “negative” deckbuilding game.

Each player has a deck consisting of three copies each of cards with the value 1 to 4, as well as a cards with value 0, value 5. Additionally there are three Stress cards which when played reveal cards from the top of your deck until you hit a card of value 1 to 4.

On your turn you shift gears which determines how many cards you must play that round. Then you put your cards down for the turn. All players reveal their cards at the same time. Then starting with the player out front and moving backwards, you move the cars on the track the total amount the cards they played are worth.

However, there are curves on the track that have a value attached to them. If you pass the curve line going too fast, you have to add heat cards from your engine to your deck. These cards can not be played and can’t be discarded either. You start with one of these cards in your deck and six in your engine. They are basically your limit as other effects such as shifting two gears at once or hitting a boost must also be paid in adding heat cards to your deck. Furthermore if you pass a curve and can’t add the heat you’d need to, or if you can’t play enough cards from your hand for the gear you are in, you spin/stall out which is terrible, costing you a turn and adding more Stress cards directly into your hand. Stress cards can be useful by skipping over Heat cards, but since you don’t know what value they have when you play them they are also very risky.

There are mechanics to return heat cards from your hand to the engine, such as driving in low gear and/or being in last place, but these Heat cards are nasty by gumming up your options and the game comes down to expert deck management as you have to maneuver through the course and manage the Heat cards between your deck and your engine.

We had an absolute blast with this game, playing three games in a row. The game also comes with additional modules for weather conditions, modifying your vehicle and a championship campaign. However, we will take those some time in the future.

Absolutely excellent and for my money a great balance between luck and skill, though one of our players who is our local min-maxer thought it was a bit too luck-based for his taste.

1 Like

I really want to play this game as it looks amazing and the reviews are great. Unfortunately, there was no hype to the game so very few stores carried it, and now it’s impossible to find until they reprint it.

Yesterday I played Lords of Waterdeep for the first time in years. Still a very good introductory worker-placement game. I particularly like how the game gives you your extra meeple right when there are enough places on the board to assign them to.

I played a particularly bad game of it though, but I was also rather unlucky to not get any early Plot quests for the Lord I drew.

Afterward we played two games in a row of Skull King a trick taking card game with a pirate theme and a really good game feel. During each of the ten rounds, the players are dealt as many cards as the round number (so 1 in the 1st round, 2 in the 2nd round, etc.). What makes the game particularly interesting is that you have to announce how many tricks you want to take in a round and you only get points if you hit that number and you get penalties if you don’t, with 20 points per trick taken if you hit exactly, and -10 points for each trick you are off. And everyone announced it simultaneously by banging their fist on the table to a “Yo-Ho-Ho” chant and indicating with their fingers on the last bang.

You can also shoot the moon and announce 0 tricks, and if you are successful you receive 10 points multiplied by the round number. This heavily incentivizes people to force others to take tricks , because in say round 8 it is a giant swing from potential 80 points to -10 if you are forced to take a trick. Edit: we played this wrong yesterday, you actually receive that number of points as negative, so it would be from 80 points to -80 points.

The game itself is made up of four suites of cards number 1 to 13, with the Jolly Roger (black) being the trump suit. Additionally there are fourteen face cards. You are usually obliged to play the suit that the first player picks (or play another suit if you have no cards of that suit), but you can always use the face cards. Escape cards are always value 0 and even allow you to bet on taking no tricks later on. Pirate cards trump all other cards except the singular Skull King who beats even Pirates. However, there are also two Mermaid cards in the game which are lower than pirates (but higher than suit cards) but beat out the Skull King in the same trick. Finally there is “Scary Mary” which can be played as either a Pirate or an Escape card, announced when she is played. Taking Pirates with the Skull King or taking the Skull King with a Mermaid also awards bonus points.

The game was a lot of fun and is just a great game to pull out at a pub or a quick game after something else to finish off the evening. It can actually run a bit long if you play all then rounds, but you can modify it by starting with four cards or perhaps agreeing to play only six or seven rounds to make it a bit shorter.

Apparently there are several versions of the game with different artworks. The one I have is by german publisher Schmidt Spiele which is a bit cartoonish but looks very good with strong colors, much better than some other versions I have seen on the internet. However, apparently someone on BoardGameGeek made a version of the game with One Piece characters, and I desperately want it. Some versions also have slightly different rules, such as a card of each suit of value 14 which gives ten points to the person who takes a trick with it in it.

I thought in Skull King that if you try to shoot the moon, and you end up taking ANY tricks, you get -10 points multiplied by the round number. So if you were in round 8 and you said you were going to take 0 tricks, even if you took 1 trick, you’d get -80 points.

Maybe my group had been playing it wrong all this time, but I once lost a game because I tried to shoot the moon in round 10, was forced to win just 1 trick, and ended up getting -100 points.

Since the game now lives permanently in my backpack I just checked. You are correct. We played it wrong yesterday.

1 Like

It definitely adds some excitement to the game if you try to shoot the moon.

Big points if you can pull it off, but big penalty if you can’t.

The game that I got -100 points in the last round because I won 1 trick was absolutely epic and my friends and I still joke about it.

The last couple of weeks a small board game group I’ve joined has been playing Sleeping Gods a narrative game with several books. One of them is a collection of maps where you navigate a boat on as you play the crew of the boat. The other book is a choose-your-own-adventure style book demarcating the stories that unfold from the spots on the maps.

Generally you play the crew with the captain of the boat shared among all players and the other crew members split between the players (in a 4-player game each player has two characters). They have individual attributes and weapons they contribute to challenges and fights, with upgrade cards among them. There is also an action point system that you can use to activate various abilities of cards shared among the players or play cards from hand to your or other characters.

The game is very interesting as a campaign setting. However, the campaign will take 10-20 hours. Unfortunately we made a mistake in the setup of our first session (we missed setting out two starting quests), and so we started over yesterday. And then we played for almost 6 hours.

Was finally able to get back together with my playgroup for Pandemic Legacy Season 0 and play September and October. Had our first loss in early october but we were able to pull out the win in the back half of the month with all objectives completed. Season 0 really is the best iteration yet in terms of tightness of the mechanics and balancing systems with the legacy elements of all the games yet. Can’t wait to meet up again and finish the game together to see how it all unfolds.

1 Like

Introduced Innovation (Cary Chudyk, Asmadi games version) to some coworkers on a slow friday (change freeze for Russel re-balance) and had a lot of fun teaching and playing a 4 player game (I usually only play 2-3 players).

I won the first game, but that’s to be expected with the way the achievements, but in game 2 we went all the way to age 8 cards and my one coworker almost completely swept us.

It reminded me that there is a fully functional, but terrible ugly web version in javascript if anyone on the forum wants to play sometime

https://innovation.isotropic.org/

Just played Hamburg at Gamehole Con. Super fun worker placement game.