The past two weeks have been weird - there was a death in the family (I have a good support network that I have been SUPER thankful for) and I played a hell of a lot of games with close friends this week to take my mind off of it for a bit. It’s honestly exactly what I needed.
Bohnanza: the Duel
7x Codenames Duet
2x Arkham Horror: The Card Game
4x Spirit Island
A Brief History of the World
4x Too Many Cinderellas
2x La Granja (new)
2x Tinners’ Trail (new)
Pandemic: The Cure
Wasteland Express Delivery Service (new)
Spirit Island helped the most, because it does such a good job of balancing “watch your friends do cool shit” with some necessary coordination. I have played 11 times since August, which is probably enough to have opinions about my favorite spirits: Serpent Slumbering Beneath the Island, Keeper of the Forbidden Wilds, River Surges in Sunlight, and Thunderspeaker.
Arkham Horror: The Card Game also took my mind off of things. We’re only missing co-op Mage Knight to complete the trilogy.
Wasteland Express Delivery Service was Anthony’s birthday gift. The game is fine, but the production is weird enough to be annoying. I don’t complain about tiny text that often (Ora et Labora and Steampunk Rally have tiny icons and text and they’re fine), but Wasteland Express Delivery Service fills 80% of its contract cards with flavor text, and the remaining 20% of the card describes the mission, and nearly every public contract has special rules that are not indicated on the card.
Strategy-wise, I’m pretty sure we’re collectively undervaluing +1 speed as an upgrade. Upgrading speed is the most obvious thing to do in, say, Empire Builder, and the guy who starts with +1 speed has won 2/2 games.
I’ve really been asking to play more heavy/thinky euros this month. Lisboa has been great with 2, 3, and 4 players. Tinners’ Trail left a weird first impression, and we decided to play it a second time performing the investment phase more or less simultaneously, and it worked fine.
Oh, and now I have a trio of Spielworxx/Quined/Capstone games sitting on the dining room table, La Granja, Haspelknecht, and The Ruhr. I’m hoping to play Haspelknecht and The Ruhr this week.