Recent Board Gaming

Such is the curse of the 7th Guest.

We avoided the problem by playing Sticheln at the 11th hour.

:poop:

1 Like

1x Koryŏ
1x Fabled Fruit
1x Abraca… what?
1x Whistle Stop
3x Dead Drop (new)
1x Spirit Island
1x Indulgence (new)
1x Stop Thief! (new)
1x Portão para o mundo, Lisboa
1x Lisboa (new)

Back to a normal week after PAX.

Two straight days of three-player games, actually. Anthony, myself, and @Coldguy played Koryŏ, Abraca… what?, and Whistle Stop. Then Coldguy tagged out with @Whistle, who taught us Dead Drop and learned Spirit Island, which makes it the fifth straight week we’ve played Spirit Island.

After Indulgence and Stop Thief! on Saturday, I have played all of Restoration Games’ initial batch, and the experience has been so positive I might need to try Fireball Island. :stuck_out_tongue:

Since we had a new copy of Lisboa (Anthony’s purchase - he’s the reason I gave Lacerda a second chance after Kanban), I insisted on a Lisbon theme night with Portão para o mundo, Lisboa.

My memory of Kanban is frequently getting blocked and getting in people’s way. The interaction in both The Gallerist and Lisboa is closer to my taste.

1 Like

No chill.

1 Like
  • Biblios — This game has two phases: picking cards and then auctioning cards that were picked for the auction. Didn’t super grab me.
  • Splendor — Played my second game ever.
  • Wind the Film — Introduced some friends to this. Also, first time playing with all the rules correctly.
2 Likes

How did you like This War of Mine? The video game is fantastic, but I can’t help feeling that the board game must be really unwieldy. I haven’t played, though, only looked through the rules a bit.

Everything is pretty intuitive, really. A lot of people have been giving the rules shit, but they work very well for how you are supposed to play the game.

1 Like

Good to hear, makes me eager to try out.

Closest game of Between of Cities I’ve played, but won with 56.

Have you tried the Capitals expansion yet? I love it and think it makes the game even better.

1 Like

The past two weeks have been weird - there was a death in the family (I have a good support network that I have been SUPER thankful for) and I played a hell of a lot of games with close friends this week to take my mind off of it for a bit. It’s honestly exactly what I needed.

Innovation
Saint Petersburg
Bohnanza: the Duel
7x Codenames Duet
2x Arkham Horror: The Card Game
4x Spirit Island
Abraca… what?
A Brief History of the World
Chariot Race
4x Too Many Cinderellas
2x Lisboa
2x La Granja (new)
2x Koryo
2x Tinners’ Trail (new)
Pandemic: The Cure
Wasteland Express Delivery Service (new)
Quadropolis

Spirit Island helped the most, because it does such a good job of balancing “watch your friends do cool shit” with some necessary coordination. I have played 11 times since August, which is probably enough to have opinions about my favorite spirits: Serpent Slumbering Beneath the Island, Keeper of the Forbidden Wilds, River Surges in Sunlight, and Thunderspeaker.

Arkham Horror: The Card Game also took my mind off of things. We’re only missing co-op Mage Knight to complete the trilogy.

Wasteland Express Delivery Service was Anthony’s birthday gift. The game is fine, but the production is weird enough to be annoying. I don’t complain about tiny text that often (Ora et Labora and Steampunk Rally have tiny icons and text and they’re fine), but Wasteland Express Delivery Service fills 80% of its contract cards with flavor text, and the remaining 20% of the card describes the mission, and nearly every public contract has special rules that are not indicated on the card.

Strategy-wise, I’m pretty sure we’re collectively undervaluing +1 speed as an upgrade. Upgrading speed is the most obvious thing to do in, say, Empire Builder, and the guy who starts with +1 speed has won 2/2 games. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve really been asking to play more heavy/thinky euros this month. Lisboa has been great with 2, 3, and 4 players. Tinners’ Trail left a weird first impression, and we decided to play it a second time performing the investment phase more or less simultaneously, and it worked fine.

Oh, and now I have a trio of Spielworxx/Quined/Capstone games sitting on the dining room table, La Granja, Haspelknecht, and The Ruhr. I’m hoping to play Haspelknecht and The Ruhr this week.

2 Likes

We have it but haven’t tried it yet. The game we played was with people who never played it.

2 Likes

Our old review of King of Tokyo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UguOKsAG_F0

I didn’t re-listen to it, but skimming we appear to talk primarily about Yahtzee and how this is literally just Yahtzee plus attacking.

First time playing these.

• Mottainai — Seems like a lot to grasp at once. I didn’t win, but I did manage to trade my empty hand for a dozen cards and draw up to eighteen and discard only one to keep them rather than discard down to five at the start of my next turn.
  • Innovation — Played half a game. Sure, I’d play again.
1 Like

Anybody have a second suggestion for a halloween-ish board game besides Betrayal at House on the Hill?

How invested are you in the board? Dread is perfect, but it’s a tabletop RPG.

Do you want actually unnerving, or just Halloween-themed? Is harvest/autumn themed enough? Because if it is, hit up that Agricola.

1 Like

Ticket to Ride with the expansion pack that just switches the trains out for pumpkin trains.

This is a real thing.

Still better than Carcassonne Catapult.

I mean, if your group likes long setup times and doesn’t mind fantasy flight games, I’d say Arkham Horror or Eldrich Horror. That said, I don’t believe these games are worth buying, if you don’t already have them lying around, give them a miss.

Fury of Dracula