Random Comments

I got my first tattoo!

3 Likes

Interesting. What is the significance of that design?

It’s a protective rune from Bloodborne representing a lake. In Bloodborne lore bodies of water shield you from the effects of the eldritch.

This thread has caught my eye: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/845agp/there_seems_to_be_a_very_well_coordinated_attack/

Well AMD stock seems to be going…up.

Megathread also.

And while I’m not going tinfoil hat like most of the people in that thread, Viceroy are pretty notorious for doing dodgy research after they pulled a pretty shady trick on German Broadcaster ProSieben. I wouldn’t trust this at face value, until some independent infosec people check in.

:smiling_imp:

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: GnuPG v2
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=1R/N
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

https://youtu.be/lqIQe6qsX_g?t=4m36s

The last 30 seconds of this video (the whole thing is worth watching, good detective work, etc.) He mentions a tool called the Hole Hawg. A drill about which a short by Neil Stephenson wrote a bit about comparing it to unix.

Apparently the Hole Hawg of today is not the same as the one written about in In the beginning there was the command line

Yeah, it’s a big 90 degree angled drill, usually for drilling massive holes when you’re building houses, or other similar jobs.

https://steve-parker.org/articles/others/stephenson/holehawg.shtml

This is the piece I was referencing. In it the Hole Hawg is like, this incredibly reliable monster. It does exactly what you tell it, even if you’ve not fully thought out the consequences of your commands. Apparently that was true when it was written, however now, it is untrue as it’s “nothing but headaches”.

Well, that’s pretty much the size of it, yeah. Milwaukee tools have taken a long downward slide in quality over the years.

Wish I knew, I bought their angle grinder last year. It’s served me pretty well in fixing my sloppy welds.

Hey, everything is down to how you use it. If you’re just using it to neaten up sloppy welds, you don’t really need some hard-core $400 hilti or Metabo just to knock off some splatter and scale. I have a bunch of cheap tools, because I’m simply not using them every day like I used to, and for the regular duty stuff I throw at it, there’s no point in lashing out hundreds of dollars on a tool that will spend much of it’s life herding dust bunnies.

I’ve been looking into this, and now we have more details from infosec types. Basically, the vulnerabilities can be summed up as such. Via Arrigo Triulzi

1. MASTERKEY: if you allow unauthorised BIOS updates you are screwed.
    Threat level: No shit, Sherlock!

2. RYZENFALL: again, loading unauthorised code on the Secure Processor as admin.

3. FALLOUT: vendor-supplied signed driver allows access to Secure Processor.

4. CHIMERA: outsourced chipset has an internal ucontroller which can be 0wned via digitally signed driver.

On top of that, they’re all second-level exploits, and so far no technical details beyond those have appeared. So, basically, it’s as suspected - another scam by Viceroy, aimed at stock manipulation to profit from shorting.

1 Like

Just found out today that my team is getting re-org’d, so the coming month should be interesting figuring out which team I want to move to and making several trips to get our services migrated to other teams. Funny that I would get this news today, the same day my wife starts her new job.

Reaching my credit card limit has changed my internal dialogue to sound like Gil Gunderson.

So I had to explain to my girlfriend that New Zealand to the south east of Australia, her reply was to say no it is North North North East given the curvature of the earth.

What? No. Really no. Unless she’s confusing NZ with the Solomon Islands, or maybe Fiji.

At least she knows the world is round.

1 Like

She did not want to admit defeat when I was about to show her a map and tried to claim that she is still correct. I thought she was going for the pacific islands but she didn’t take that as the easy way out.