Random Comments

Okay, so there definitely are some benefits to living in NYC.

If you can’t get cheesy chips with gravy I’m out.

Someone on my Facebook proposed to his girlfriend with a wisdom tooth. Like this dude like that, its bloody odd!

Also Brucy Bonus, My kids found out I have a girlfriend. One asked if we have ‘made mouth fusion yet’. Steady on kid I’m not a digimon.

I was about to make a joke about how you should have told them you still need to learn the dance, but then I remembered that I’m old and they probably wouldn’t get it.

Yeah even I feel old. A group are really into grim, go figure, so now I have four of them shouting all sorts at me. I mean jeez guys I mean you know my nickname is the white bear, what makes you think I know that stuff?

What if I made a 3rd party Twitter client. It would be the same as Tweetbot or any of the other ones. We would have all the features they do.

However, there would be one difference. We maintain our own ban list separate from actual Twitter. And thus, anyone using our client would see no nazis. We would have our own criteria for judging who to ban, and will allow users to report wrongdoing to us, as well as to actual Twitter.

Twitter might block users using our client, but I bet this could work.

Do it.

Call it “Twitter… but without the Nazis”

With golden ratio Antifa logo.

I’d be down.
dances the 15 character dance

Third-party block lists already exist. I wonder what the terms are for third-party clients; I know they used to be terrible, like a hard cap on how many users your third-party client could have.

A WWII bomb has been uncovered in a building site in Berlin. Guess whose home sits right at the edge of the evacuation zone? We are about 301 metres from ground zero, so we don’t have to evacuate.

I can vouch for the factory automation tools. I got a tour of the service center for the vendor who’s doing plant control software and hardware for our mine. They have to keep examples of their old tech up and running so that they can troubleshoot with clients. Place was like a museum.

Was it his tooth, her tooth or a third party’s tooth? Did he set it in a ring?

I have no idea. It looked like a kids tooth or something. The thing is the guy is super regular looking. Its really bizarre.

I fell into the paralegal field by taking a transcriptionist position at a law firm to support me through graduate school. A few months in, I was bored and completing my work with hours of work day to spare. I told the Managing Attorney that I could do more. He handed me the CPLR and a case file. “You’ve typed up Bills of Particulars before, so try putting one together. You can do it in your spare time here or at home, but I need your draft in two days.” I read over the rules and file, pulled language from BoPs in similar cases, and cobbled together a draft. He made three changes and made me his personal Legal Assistant that day. He mentored me for two and half years. I stuck with the legal field for well over a decade, learning from attorneys, CLEs, my own research, etc. I built upon my experience and became, if I say so myself, a fairly impressive Civil Litigation Paralegal.

A few years ago, my firm wanted to promote me but said I would need a Paralegal Certificate in order to qualify (my bachelors and graduate degrees combined with 10+ years experience was somehow not enough). I signed up for an “intensive” online program offered through a SUNY school. It was a joke. The work was rudimentary or completely irrelevant to what most paralegals do on a daily basis. The information about how to do legal research was so basic that it included “how to read legal documents,” which boiled down to read the document, look up the words you don’t know, and if you are still confused, ask someone for help. Really. It was nonsensical. Anyway, I breezed through the course, which functionally wasted $1,600 of my firm’s money, and then I got the promotion. Most of the Legal Secretaries I have encountered have their high school diplomas and a Paralegal Certificate, but most of the Paralegals I’ve encountered have a four year degree or supplemented their education with CLEs and National Certification, because the Paralegal Certificate programs are fairly useless beyond simply helping you get the job.

I encourage you to check out the The National Federation of Paralegal Associations, Inc. to find your local Paralegal Association. Often, these groups have low cost student memberships, provide mentor programs, offer CLEs at low-to-no cost, have networking events, etc. They can really help you to supplement your Paralegal education and get connections in the field.

In many places in the US, UK, and Australia, even when women were allowed to go to bars/saloons/clubs that served alcohol, there was usually a separate lounge away from the general bar area where women and their male companions (usually they could not enter these establishments without a male companion or several other women) could drink and socialize. The general bar area was only for men unless a woman was placing an order and then took it directly back to the lounge. Australia actually had this rule in place in more recent times than both the US and the UK.

Yeah, I think 2015 was only the 50th anniversary of women being allowed to drink in public bars in my state. It was something that happened in my city, even - in 1965, Merle Thornton and Rosalie Bognor walked into the public bar of the Regatta Hotel(which still exists as a public bar, in fact, I’ve drank there many times), Ordered drinks(the bartender refused), and then they chained themselves to the bar and refused to leave until served. After a number of hours, they were eventually broken free by police(Who smashed the locks with hammers), and dragged out. The same bar still exists - in a very literal sense, despite refurbishements, it’s the same bartop - and the bar the bar resides in is now named after Merle. She’s still alive, as far as I know, she went and put down a few pints at the 2015 50-year celebration of the event at the Regatta.

Edit- Oh! I found news film from 1965., including interviews with the women in question. Also slightly crazily, listen to the difference in accent between the people in the video, and modern folk like myself. It’s kind of weird to listen to.

Wow. It is much closer to a posh Brittish accent of that day, though the vowel sounds and cadance are slightly different. Those differences have been exaggerated over time, clipping some consonents and elongating certain vowel sounds. Fascinating.

I think my experience with the formal paralegal education might be a bit better than yours as far as getting the certificate, but I also went in with my only familiarity with legal proceedings being from a couple trips to traffic court and Law and Order reruns. We’re learning about procedure, basic research with WestLaw and Lexis Nexis, writing legal memos, Shepardizing, the basics around discovery, and that’s just my intro and research classes. I’m also taking real estate law which has taught me real estate can be really shady and rather esoteric, and next semester there’s classes on evidence, contract law, family law and business law. My professor who is a lawyer still tells us though it will be like your experience even with our certificates, lots of on the job learning and fake it til you make it. I’m really looking forward to it though it’s the first time learning something I find academically engaging and also seem to have a knack for. I’ll definitely look into the resources you mentioned.

Strong writing skills, thorough and logical thinking, creative problem solving, and being an experienced researcher will get you far in the field. If your course is developing those aspects and familiarizing you with fields of law in which you may work, then that is excellent. My perception on my course work was colored by already having two degrees and over a decade of substantive experience. If my company would have sprung for a Masters in Legal Studies, I think it would have been more meaningful to my career.